FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 11, 2024, 02:13:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Cracked Block  (Read 2549 times)
Ken's 57
nsw-club

Model: FE

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2012, 04:48:50 PM »

G'day everyone. Last week I pulled the original grey motor out of my FE sedan. Unfortunately there is a horizontal crack on the outer casing about 5" long down behind where the generator sits. I only noticed it because of the staining which had been caused by the cooling fluid which had leaked out over the years. I'm getting conflicting advice as to whether this crack can be successfully repaired. As it is definitely the original engine I'm reluctant to replace the block if I can avoid it. At the same time I don't want to waste money rebuilding the engine only to find the crack re-appear at a later date. Would really appreciate any advice on this topic.

Cheers ... Ken
heavyduty1340

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 08:51:56 PM »

Ive seen plenty of drag motors get welded up

This should be an easy fix for anyone experienced at that sort of work.
sunnytim

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 12:19:26 PM »

Yep, a good acid dip and x-ray/inspection etc by the right guys should form a simple repair.  Given its the original donk I would spend the extra time and $$ getting this sorted.  You'll most likelt find its corrosion rather than a crack.
Lucky you don't have a flathead Ford as well like I do they are horrible for cracks, but if you see what is being repaired with them you'll feel pretty comfortable
Tim
Ken's 57
nsw-club

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 06:05:04 PM »

Thanks for your help heavyduty and Tim. I've got a great mechanic who believes it can be done. It was actually the engine rebuilder who was not keen about repairing the crack. I certainly want to keep the original block and fortunately we have someone here in the Hunter Valley who is a whiz in metallurgy and all things to do with castings and welding. My engine No. is L372319 (cast in July 1957) so if anyone has a block close to that I'd be interested in purchasing it to keep a spare in reserve.
Cheers,  Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: