FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 14, 2024, 10:02:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Tag Info help please...  (Read 7150 times)
Neil1958

Located Bahrs Scrub, Queensland

View Profile
« on: March 07, 2010, 07:10:21 PM »

Hi Guys,

Below is the tag from my car.

I think I have sussed that it was India Ivory over Granite Grey, but can't work out whether the roof and boot were India ivory, or just the top of the doors and rear guard,any hints?

Engine Number is L493358.

I will need to replace all the rubbers as they have perished... where is the best place to source these?

Cheers guys.

Neil
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 09:08:53 PM »

http://www.fefcholden.org.au/techinfo/idinfo.html  Wink

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 09:09:03 PM »

This is an early tag. It stopped early in 1959 and was replaced by a tag which had 3 lines for paint. However the plate was not changed at the introduction of the 2nd body style (I guess they had stock which had to be run out)
Therefore it is impossible to tell from the plate alone when the FC changed from 1st style to 2nd style but since this tag has such an early body number then I am confident that it would belong to a car with roof, boot & flash all the same colour.

Ken
Neil1958

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 10:27:25 PM »

This is an early tag. It stopped early in 1959 and was replaced by a tag which had 3 lines for paint. However the plate was not changed at the introduction of the 2nd body style (I guess they had stock which had to be run out)
Therefore it is impossible to tell from the plate alone when the FC changed from 1st style to 2nd style but since this tag has such an early body number then I am confident that it would belong to a car with roof, boot & flash all the same colour.

Ken

Great, thanks Ken... I have been on the forum and the web for about 5 hours trying to sus out which is which...

Neil
Neil1958

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 10:29:17 PM »

Thanks for that, I had already been there but still struggled to work out what style it meant. Ken has given some insight, so I will go with that unless I discover something new.

Appreciate the feedback.

Neil
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 11:35:11 PM »

Regards
Alex

DN2168
nsw-club

See you on the road Skag!!

dean.nommensen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 12:04:12 AM »

What a sensational colour combo  Grin.

Dean.
Neil1958

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 07:21:39 AM »

Regards
Alex

Thanks Alex... that is what she will be then... Smiley

I don't suppose you have any pics of the dash?

Neil
Martin

Jim

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 01:03:36 AM »

Neil,

You also asked about sourcing door rubbers.

I did mine recently - got them from Rare Spares.  They are not the correct shape all the way around - over the hinges on the back doors and on the front doors at the door catch mechanism and at the curve over the top of the front mudguard.

I bought some lengths of rubber of various profiles and made up the special sections for the rear doors, and cut and inserted the different profile sections for the front doors.  Super glue works well to joint up the rubber sections - but make sure you have some solvent on hand. I ended up with thumb & finger on one hand, finger on the other hand and a piece of rubber all stuck together on one occasion.  Had to get my wife to apply the solvent so I could "unglue" myself.  Embarrassed   Grin  Much to her amusement.

Have a look at this thread for some great tips.  http://fefcholden.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,16394.0.html

After a bit of trial and error I got what I think is a reasonable job - it's easier to close the doors now if one window is wound down a bit.  For me, it takes the practice of doing 5 doors to get it really right - pitty there's only 4 doors on the car.

Martin

The liver is evil.  It must be PUNISHED

Martin
Marion.  South Aust.

Ebay user id:  lewis1411
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 09:56:22 AM »

For me, it takes the practice of doing 5 doors to get it really right - pitty there's only 4 doors on the car.

Martin

But now you're the go-to man for everyone else in the club, eh?

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
stapla

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 12:37:33 PM »

Rares in adelaide can supply a standard rubber or custom made.

With the custom one some of the hard work is already done as they have glued different sections together for corners and hinges etc.  The front door top guard area is still a problem though.

Cheers
Peter.
Martin

Jim

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010, 04:16:08 PM »

The front door top guard area is still a problem though.

Clark Rubber on South Road, Richmond (not far from Rares) has a profile that's very close to the original over this section.  I didn't know about Rare's made-up sections - and they didn't bloody tell me   Angry  Grrrr

The liver is evil.  It must be PUNISHED

Martin
Marion.  South Aust.

Ebay user id:  lewis1411
Neil1958

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 10:06:48 PM »

Neil,

You also asked about sourcing door rubbers.

I did mine recently - got them from Rare Spares.  They are not the correct shape all the way around - over the hinges on the back doors and on the front doors at the door catch mechanism and at the curve over the top of the front mudguard.

I bought some lengths of rubber of various profiles and made up the special sections for the rear doors, and cut and inserted the different profile sections for the front doors.  Super glue works well to joint up the rubber sections - but make sure you have some solvent on hand. I ended up with thumb & finger on one hand, finger on the other hand and a piece of rubber all stuck together on one occasion.  Had to get my wife to apply the solvent so I could "unglue" myself.  Embarrassed   Grin  Much to her amusement.

Have a look at this thread for some great tips.  http://fefcholden.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,16394.0.html

After a bit of trial and error I got what I think is a reasonable job - it's easier to close the doors now if one window is wound down a bit.  For me, it takes the practice of doing 5 doors to get it really right - pitty there's only 4 doors on the car.

Martin

Many thanks Martin,

As I get closer to that section, I will look into itin more depth. In the meantime I will keep on reviewing the forum for the best way of doing it...

Cheers Guys,

Neil
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: