FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 14, 2024, 12:54:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Neil's FC  (Read 19343 times)
Neil1958

Located Bahrs Scrub, Queensland

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2010, 08:16:04 PM »

OK Guys,

Following on from my posts in the Restoration section... it's official I have the old girl home!!!!

Picked her up this afternoon pics below.

My first order of business is to buy a new nail brush, I forgot how much dirt gets under your nails Smiley

Second order is to give her a hit with the water blaster and strip the interior, carefully cataloging as I go. I am outstanding at pulling things apart, but crap at remembering how they went together Smiley

I'll post as often as I can to keep all the information hungry members appeased. I will also be asking many gumby questions in the process.

OK, thanks for reading.

Neil

Link to previous posts...

http://fefcholden.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,17018.0.html 

Old_Mt_Isa_Boy
qld-club

Model: FC

My Ute

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 08:54:43 PM »

Looks good from the outside. That rust can be gone in no time. Good luck Neil.

Regards

Wayne
Maco
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 09:00:49 PM »

Neil,

Love the shed I wished it was mine, good luck with the restro.

Cheers
John

Better in Green
Neil1958

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 08:33:17 PM »

Day one of the restoration.

Had to clean up the shed to make the appropriate room for the old girl. Moved away all the woodworking stuff, gave it a good blow out and put down a tarp.

When we went to push the car into the shed it wouldn’t budge, pushed, pulled, rocked and shook… no way no how was it going to move. As the previous owner took his battery back, and I didn’t have one handy, it was off to Autobarn to do some father and son bonding. Picked up a battery, a couple of stands, a work light and a floor jack and floor trolley. Came back, threw the battery in and first kick it started and purred like a kitten… very impressed. Into reverse and she still wouldn’t move, so gave it a few more revs and felt the front wheels let go and away she went…into the shed.

Started at the back and worked forward… seats, boot lid, rear bumper, rear doors (stripped down), front passenger door out and called it a day. Found some minor rust around the lower boot sill where the rubbers fit some in the wheel well of the rear guards.

Just before heading inside I had a dig around in the front drivers pan and just where the cross member runs there is a ton of rust, but that was already known from the initial inspection so no surprises there.

There is some in the top of the rear passenger door, and I am wondering if it is worth repairing or better to look for another door??? Thoughts?Huh

The chrome strips are in good nick which is nice.

Most of the window channels and mechanisms are rusted beyond reasonable, so will have to find some of those.
All in all a great day… always fun pulling things apart.

Tomorrow will be finishing the interior stripping, and then onto the front- bonnet, bumper, guards etc. Might get around to de-glassing it, will see how we go.
OK, that is it so far… more later.

Neil
Gary C
wa-club

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 11:03:11 PM »

Take a heap of photos of small things Neil. They will come in handy when its going back together. Try to save door rubbers etc, you might find that parts of the old rubbers will come in handy when the repro stuff doesn't quite fit. Door belts ,things like that you may need old fasteners in the replacements. Dont just rip shit out,you may need it, oh yeah,good luck.
Gary
Neil1958

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 12:11:52 AM »

Take a heap of photos of small things Neil. They will come in handy when its going back together. Try to save door rubbers etc, you might find that parts of the old rubbers will come in handy when the repro stuff doesn't quite fit. Door belts ,things like that you may need old fasteners in the replacements. Dont just rip shit out,you may need it, oh yeah,good luck.
Gary

Cheers Gary,

Yep lots of pics, and all the bits are bagged and tagged. I have saved all the rubbers in as close to their original condition as I could...

Appreciate the guidance.

Neil
Neil1958

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 06:48:55 PM »

Restoration Day 2

A bit quieter today mainly finishing removal of the driver door, guards, grille etc. No new surprises.

Unfortunately work will interfere with the work... so probably no more til the weekend.

Cheers,

Neil
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 10:49:27 PM »

Aaaaah a shed one can only dream, one day it will happen.

Neil, keep up the good work.

Cheers Jim

Forgiveness is easier than permission.
fe-ambo

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 05:47:28 AM »

Love the colour scheme. If you repaint it the same colour you need to put a taxi light on the roof to finish it off Grin

Cheers
Paul

If take a ride in a ambulance you gotta a chance,
if you take a ride in a hearse its gotta be worse.

Check out this website for more photos
http://gallery.oldholden.com/hr-hearse
Neil1958

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 07:22:52 AM »

Love the colour scheme. If you repaint it the same colour you need to put a taxi light on the roof to finish it off Grin

Cheers
Paul

Then we could go into business together... I can take the walking ones, and you can take the ones that can't Smiley

Neil
Neil1958

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 07:24:02 AM »

Aaaaah a shed one can only dream, one day it will happen.

Neil, keep up the good work.

Cheers Jim

I only built the shed for the car  Grin

Neil
GOA350
vic-club

FE's are great when they've got a V8

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 10:04:32 AM »

G'day Neill, I would suggest to keep all the doors and have them repaired. If they fit now then they will fit again later. The chances of getting another door and getting it to fit like the old one, is normally very unlikely.
 Cheers Scotty
Neil1958

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 10:08:42 AM »

G'day Neill, I would suggest to keep all the doors and have them repaired. If they fit now then they will fit again later. The chances of getting another door and getting it to fit like the old one, is normally very unlikely.
 Cheers Scotty

Thanks Scotty, that's the sort of feedback I need and very much appreciate... makes the path a little less fuzzy Smiley

Cheers for that

Neil
Neil1958

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 09:09:16 PM »

Day 3 of the restoration, well 1/2 a day really by the time I got going.

Managed to get the engine out... took 1 hour 22 minutes.Didn't think that was too bad for someone who had never taken one out on his own. Went well

So much easier with a hoist.

Decided to give the engine bay a bit of a degrease. As I did it answered a question I had about the original colour of the engine bay. It was painted black when I got it, but using the water blaster revealed the original colour was Graphite Grey, so happy with that.

Also found the chassis number stamped on the drivers side front section. It was covered with the paint. Someone had tried to stampit above the ID Plate at some stage, and did a dodgy job. I could hardly read it, and realised that the number was FC 225-9336-S.On looking the first 3 had been stamped backwards, and the second 3 was stamped sideways, no wonder it was tough to read.

So tomorrow is finishing removing interior, and if time permits I might tackle the front end.

Wish me luck... more later.

Neil

hrpremier

Model: other Holden

Jason

Jason Fewins
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2010, 09:26:15 PM »

Good Luck  Roll Eyes

I Have A Fever ............... And The Only Prescription ............... Is More Cowbell

http://gallery.oldholden.com/hrpremier/
TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2010, 09:36:05 PM »

Good luck and Go the Tigers!...Yeah lame joke.I love looking at disassembly pics cause this is the easy part.All the rust pictures are pretty normal but not quite as bad as what some have faced (me)...Keep up the photos.I'm hoping to paint in the next few days...Wish ME luck... Huh

Run your fingers over my Holden and I'll run my Holden over your fingers!!!!
Old_Mt_Isa_Boy
qld-club

My Ute

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2010, 09:36:59 PM »

Nice progress Neil.

Regards Wayne
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2010, 10:25:55 PM »

You are making good progress there Neil. Much better to be pulling at all apart yourself so that you can label everything as you pull it apart.

Looks like the bloke that stamped the body number on the inner guard wasn't having a good day

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
Neil1958

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2010, 11:07:49 PM »

Good luck and Go the Tigers!...Yeah lame joke.I love looking at disassembly pics cause this is the easy part.All the rust pictures are pretty normal but not quite as bad as what some have faced (me)...Keep up the photos.I'm hoping to paint in the next few days...Wish ME luck... Huh

yep, good luck... I hope the weather is kind to you Smiley

N
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2010, 08:14:54 PM »

Neil - It's still not the chassis number!!

This looks like a previous owners attempt to stamp the body number above the plate.
look carefully along the skirt on the driver's side near the wiring loom now you have pressure washed it.

Ken
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: