FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 10, 2024, 03:36:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: OH MY GOD!!! The "Canadian" Does exist!!  (Read 20891 times)
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

Model: FE

View Profile
« on: May 02, 2005, 03:18:38 AM »

Oh my dear.
I may have to eat my words. I have just purchased another car, built by "Holden" & believe it or not, it has a "Canadian" block!! Crikey Shocked Shocked Shocked
It is true!
I did a bit of fiddling & noticed it actually displaces a little more than they standard Grey motor, although this is a Grey coloured motor as well.
Stay tuned to this News breaking news! I will post a shot of the car in the very near future.
Goes like the clappers too!

Rob J Wink

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
Burnsy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 03:23:47 AM »

, Look at it this way Rob, at least you are paying that reward to yourself Wink Come on then, what is this car "built by Holden", don't leave us hanging.  Engine number prefix or something would at least keep us going until you get photos, does it have the ribbed block?

More more more, info

Mike
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 03:41:21 AM »

Hi Mike.
Oh no, I can't rush these things. Look what happened last time! I put my foot in it. I will get a photo of the car & block in the next day or so.

Rob J

p.s. Believe it or not, Mike. I finally got my sh** together & posted that bridge cap off to you. Should be there very soon.

TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2005, 06:58:25 AM »

hey guys i actually saw one the other day in an ek wagon

some info i was able to find out was that you can bore them out another 40 thou

also on the side of the block its slightly different, i got a few pics but that good

i can find out some info on the motor eg enigne number if anyone wants

cheers
torque

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

in a rural car crash they are " Hold my stubby and watch this for skill!"
TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 07:35:24 AM »

following this post are some pics

sorry if they arent very detailed but i didnt think to get any good pics

cheers
torque

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2005, 07:50:23 AM »

Hi Torque.
Sorry, Mate. It was a piss-take. there is no such engine. It does not exist. Here is the only "Holden" ever BUILT with a "Canadian" block.
The motors for these & all others for export were built in Canada. I was just having some fun.
Have a look at some earlier posts regarding the "Canadian" & you will see where I am coming from.
The motor you have taken the picture of is an early FX motor. That is why it has the GMH cast & the different ribbing.

I have just bought a 1937 Chevrolet Master Deluxe "Sloper". These were an Australian only body (NOT ever available in the USA) & are extremely rare today. This one pictured is of another car (Not mine), but until I get some shots, it will have to do.
This one is a "Standard" model with only 834 produced.
Mine, the "Master Deluxe" had only 207 produced. Mine has more chrome than the one pictured. Apart from that, they are identical. Same colour, same condition. Mine also has whitewalls Grin Grin

Regards,
Rob J

p.s. how did you post those giant photosa & throw all of the page settings out. I have to scroll along for a quarter mile to read each sentence!! Sad
« Last Edit: May 02, 2005, 07:52:59 AM by 4hammers » Logged

TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2005, 07:56:54 AM »

then what motor is this?Huh?

the guy is dead set that its a canadian block

also there was an add in just parts for an fj with a canadian block, i know that the odds are against me but i will just try to find out some info to assure that i am wrong (or hopefully right Roll Eyes

cheers
torque

4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2005, 08:16:07 AM »

Torque.
Trust me, they DO NO EXIST. It was just a JOKE. We have all been here before & I can tell you, the very best Holden experts (Don Loffler & Norm Darwin) have both stated in their books that there was NO such motor. Just an "Urban Myth". I am sure that block reckons he has one. Get him to prove it to you. But be sure to tell him that ALL the FX blocks & some early FJ blocks were like that. I have 2 in my shed!

Regards,
Rob J Cheesy

Burnsy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2005, 09:10:12 AM »

Rob you .............. Shocked  must have been a boring arvo for you hey?  Get out there and do some work on that cop car if this is all you have to do.  I will be sure to make sure your extra bridge cap has all the holes aligned perfectly for this little one Tongue

Will keep you posted on the bridge cap progress.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike
normd

6 in a row , the way to "GO"

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2005, 12:03:49 PM »

Bugger Me , Rob ...
    You mean I had a "CANADIAN BLOCK" Grin
when I was a kid ?  Huh .....    Dad had a '37 Chev Ute on our farm.
Looking at the front of the "Sloper" brought back memories.
Only problem was our ute was rusted out, as we used it
to cart hay/grain  to feed the sheep , carted dirt for the driveway etc.
The motor ended up in a Bedford truck , steering wheel
was on my "billycart" ,back axle for a trailer , rest to the scrap metal dealers.
Makes you want to  "turn back the clock"  huh .. :-/
   I also had a '39 Chev Standard , after moving to Sydney
but had to make a choice as I had 2 projects....  well the
Chev got sold and I've still got the FC ,  Think I made the
right choice ,  BUT  don't you let this one go...

Norm  Smiley

I Love My "FC" 192 . Old but still a "Rev Head"

R.I.P. Norm - A Great Mate to Everyone on the Forum.
Sarge
Guru

My 57 & Old No 7 all a Man Need's

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2005, 07:05:59 PM »

Torque
         You may just be on to something here dont let Rob sway you here's been trying for years to prove that there is no such animal. This is only because he hasnt got one. If you have found one then good luck to you. Keep us all posted as I am sure that we would all like to solve this great so called Urban Myth.

Cheers
Sarge  Kiss

P.S could you try resizing your pics before you post them mate as I only have a 19" screen.

Mark Lees Tallerbudgera Queensland
        0421 165 351
Holden Classics; a BREED above the rest
TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2005, 07:23:57 PM »

well
i have already done some research and it has all been that there was no suh thing and that it was an 'urban myth' but what i odnt understand is that the fact of the different lettering on the block, and the fact that it can be bored out another 40 thou. makes me wonder if the fx- fj motor was whats causing all the fuss. i will have a talk to the other guy with the so called canadian block in the fj to see what he can tell me

thankz
torque

ps:sarge i normally shrink the pics, but i wanted to leave them big so all of the detail was visible

4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2005, 08:14:39 PM »

Oh dear, what have I done Huh Shocked Cry
Trust me Torque. It doesn't matter what "Research" you do (Like asking someone who thinks they have one), it has already been proven, without a doubt, but very qualified individuals, that they do not exsist. Did you actually READ my last couple of posts. The "GMH" casting on the side was there on all of the FX & some of the early FJ motors. Nothing mysterious about that. Why, if they were made in Canada, is there a standard GMH part number next to the "GMH" logo. Why would they cast motors in Canada, when they had the foundries here & were already making them? The confusion may well have come from the Chevs having "Canadian" blocks. But, the Chevs have a totally different motor. 216 cubes, probably 30% bigger block as well.
Also, the early motors CANNOT be bored out an extra 40 thou. Not true, can't do!

Hmm, I think I will have to enlist the help of my trusty partner in the "Mocking of the Canadian". ACCCCCCEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, where are you??

Sarge,
mate, I DO have 2 of these blocks in my shed. One, is actually a lower build number than the one Torque has taken photos of. You wanna buy one? $5000 & you got yourself a Genuine, ex-Tasmanian, Canadian block. Grin Wink

Regards,
Rob J

TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2005, 08:39:17 PM »

hey mate i done more than that, i went down to the library and reaad an fx or fj book and it had some info on the so called 'canadian' block

also i believe it was mar001 who sent me some info on it too

i know that people have already worked this out, but i need to do further research just to clarify it, i mean i believe that there is no canadian block, but im pretty damn sure that that whatever motor it was (fx or fj) ,   it could be bored out more

will proceeed to do more research

cheers
torque

4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2005, 08:50:33 PM »

Hi Norm.
Sorry, Mate. Forgot to reply to your post.
Yes, sad to say, you most probably did have a Canadian in that car. But, it would be one hell of a tight fit in an FC! Beautiful motor, I must say. Drives so smooth, ticks over very nicely & has so much torque, in 3rd (Getting there is a Non-Synchro on any gear experience Shocked), we roll up to a corner, even uphill & at less than 10mph, give it a bit of pedal & it will pull away, easily. Never driven a car with so much low down Torque. I hope to have some photos of MY car today to post. It looks so much better than the Standard model. White walls, extra chrome trim, sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

We  plan on buying an old 1947 caravan when the old fella decides to sell. All aluminium, brilliant original condition, & will polish up a treat. I want to hook it up to the Chev & go on a mainland road trip. That has GOTTA be some fun.  Maybe I will be able to visit & park it in that expansive front yard you have.

Talk soon,
Rob J

JB
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2005, 10:45:42 PM »

Hey Rob,

Sounds like what  they call a stovebolt...

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The stovebolt six's name origin came from the engine's slotted quarter inch head bolts. It was started in 1929 with the Chevrolet 6, also called the Cast Iron Wonder.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the site if you are interested

http://www.stovebolt.com

Cheers
Jason.

Phone +64 223509263
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2005, 03:14:00 AM »

Hi Torque.
Just reading through what I have posted & wanted to clarify one of my comments. Where I state "You can't bore out an early block an extra 40 Thou", I just need to make the following clear. Standard, yes, they will bore out that much, BUT, they will not bore out any EXTRA than the other blocks. Get my meaning?
Example:
If you had a 132 block, then bored it out to 138, you then wouldn't be able to take it any further than a standard 138 could be taken.
The best block to modify, as far as I know & I have talked to a LOT of early racers, is an early B block. That is for the FB series. This is where they beefed them up a little, as they went to the standard bore of 138 & may have been a little paranoid.

Hope this clears it up.
Rob J
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 03:22:38 AM by 4hammers » Logged

RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2005, 04:37:20 AM »

Interesting.  Up here they swear by the EJ block, since after 15 years of manufacture GM-H finally had all the bugs ironed out...

All your other comments about the non-existence of a grey Canadian block I completely concur with, as you know Grin

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2005, 05:26:47 AM »

Hi RET.
Yes, that is what I believed when I first went to the "Grey Guru's", but was told different. None of them could really pinpoint why, but they were adamant that they always had better results from the B blocks. One guy here (another Robbie), went through 6 blocks, before finally finding a "B" block that took the re-aligning nessesary for the installation of his Vauxhall Steel crank. Every J block he used, busted through into the water jackets. He got one resleeved, built the motor, but within a month, it went porous & he had to start again.
The "B" block in his JWF Italia is still going strong after about 3 years of flogging. Just some headwork every so often & he is cool.

Rob J

earlyholdenfan

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2005, 06:15:30 AM »

Just some headwork every so often & he is cool.

arent we all?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: