FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 12, 2024, 07:50:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FC253 Wagon  (Read 15166 times)
Gordon
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: March 13, 2013, 01:04:00 PM »

I thought its time to start a post of my wagon under construction ( or distruction) plan is 253 auto,commo diff, rear mounted steering, column shift ,bench seat. Have gathered most parts need front stub axles to fit hr front end with vr commo brakes and other things along the way drive shaft etc, This will be a slow project due to time and money but most seem to be that way
Gordon

« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 12:44:46 PM by RET » Logged
FireKraka

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 01:14:38 PM »

Hi Gordon
Looks like you have a good car to start the build with.
I think the point is to just stick with it, things do take time if you are on a budget you sound like me I have had my FC for 16 years and it feels that most of that time I have been trying to finish it.
Don't be afraid to ask advice either the guys on here are really helpful.
Good luck and keep the pictures coming.
Regards
Neil
Gordon
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 09:14:32 PM »

Hi a bit of an update on my wagon, but first a few photos of the first wagon i bought with the intention of rebuilding but to much work so stripped for parts

You will notice the small hole in the roof as it was used as a pig shooter, and the spare replacement roof
And the update on my wagon almost ready to be stripped,blasted

Commodore diff ready to be shortened

Subframe and HR frontend ready to be blasted

Finally the motor im using

Thats it for now Gordon
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 09:22:02 PM by FC253 » Logged
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 09:43:39 PM »

253?

FCV08

FE FC Club of QLD

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 10:00:01 PM »

Gordon

Thanks for the update.

Keep the photos coming
Cheers
Craig D
Gordon
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 10:07:56 PM »

Yeah 253 out of HJ ute Just looking for that "OLD SCHOOL" look, V8 Carby big crome airfilter but Pete suggested VN commodore V8 injection on it, so im looking in to that also
Gordon
FCV08

FE FC Club of QLD

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 10:09:19 PM »

Go injection hey NES Grin Grin Grin
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 09:00:23 AM »

Go injection hey NES Grin Grin Grin

FOR SURE!!!! Wink

Won't be stuffing around with valve stem seals or leaded additives plus a SH!T load more power, especially after I get into the computer and change it Grin

brett_f

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 02:11:42 PM »

Gordon,
Looks a pretty clean car to start with. As the previous boys said, cant beat injection. Turn key, starts and idles. No constant issues with tuning and in my opinion, looks cleaner under the bonnet. However, as you will see in previous posts wiring can sometimes be a headache. As all the boys know i had issues with engineers. Have you spoken to one yet. If so good but if not you need to. If you dont get the answer you want try another couple as they are all on different pages.
Keep up the good work. brett
Gordon
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 08:58:53 PM »

Hi thanks all ,was speaking to a engineer but he is no longer getting involved in cars because of all the law changes, so im looking for another if anyone knows of a good one in the sydney area please pm me
Will have a look into fuel injection
Gordon
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 11:18:00 PM »

Gordon, try Peter L Smith at Camden last I heard he was still going. I've sent you a message as well.
Reagrds Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
pedro
qld-club
Guru

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 11:37:53 AM »

G'day Gordon welcome to the forum, good to see another wagon getting rebuilt, looks like the old girl is in pretty good nick for her age.
           Pedro

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
Gordon
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 11:11:45 AM »

Thanks Pedro I've read and reread you build and cant wait to see it finished,what colours are you painting it, I am still undecided on colour
Gordon
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 11:20:49 AM »

Gordon,

Years ago I started a build using a 253 with exactly the same intentions as you.

I ended up with injected 308 because the injected heads off a VN with the large valves are too big for the 253.  It would work, but probably  not as well as some modified 253 heads.

then again you could stroke the 253 to 310.

Im an injection convert.. the time spent setting it up pays dividends later... I'm actually researching a megasquirt setup for my current project.. although I will make it look like a factory ECU for rego reasons.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 12:15:40 PM »

As previously mentioned there are plenty of people willing to give you ideas ,so I thought I might also .Carefull consideration should be given to the axle length in mind of rim offset calliper clearance and stud pattern of axles.Also ride height can be set up as the diff housing is saddled for the early springs rather than using lowering blocks or resetting springs....mind you a recoed set of springs is the least of your expenses.I rebuilt a 2 tone green wagon very similar to the photo in 1999 with 192 and 4 speed so these photos bring back great memories.Just thinking about rear seatbelts in a wagon.I had horizontally mounted retractables on the rear wheel arches with stirrups on the back door pillars and my blue tag guy told me he could not pass them because of the lack of room for a back up plate.So if you go down this path and reinforce the mounting with a piece of steal inside the pillar get photos[proof] .Always a good idea to get a tag guy onside at the start of the project and ask first.good luck.
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2013, 02:06:05 PM »

Hi HSV001 im doing the diff the same as this

http://fefcholden.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,22469.40.html

pedro
qld-club
Guru

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2013, 02:36:54 PM »

Thanks Pedro I've read and reread you build and cant wait to see it finished,what colours are you painting it, I am still undecided on colour

No worries Gordon, she's going to be sting red with black in the flash/insert, i had the same problem deciding on colours it took me ages and heaps of photoshopping by other members and mates to decide, i've still got all the pics so if you have any combinations you would like to see let me know and if i've got it i'll post it on here for you, i'll stick a pic up on my post of my paint scheme, i thought i had one on there but i can't find it, as far as your build goes the 253 would be a lot simpler because of no computers and no pollution gear but you can't beat the reliability and power of a modern engine, if i had my choice again i would go with a modern v6 or v8(more likely the eight) they fit so much easier than the rb30.
   Pedro

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
Gordon
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2013, 01:55:06 PM »

A bit of an update, progress is slow, managed to build myself a rotisserie makes the rust repair so much easier.Very little rust in back end,need to replace cowl vent panel, two front floors and trans tunnel, pickup two outer sills from rare spares tomorrow $225 ea i was told and a bit of rust in the firewall recess where the top of subframe bolts on

That will keep me busy for now
Gordon
wutevr

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2013, 12:00:34 PM »

looking good there Gordon im in Campbelltown too building a sedan
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2014, 06:30:33 PM »

How's it going

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: