FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 19, 2024, 02:24:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Twin SU's    Vs    Twin Strombergs  (Read 1977 times)
superfly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2003, 05:35:19 AM »

Hey everyone,
my knowledge of carbies is a bit lacking, i know what they do and thats about it.

I have an LC GTR Torana with a worked 202 (I know this is an FE/FC forum but you guys are so much more helpfull than most of the guys on the torana forums and usually know more than them to, plus my dream is to own a nice FC Special one day)  i am trying to figure out what carby setup to use and was thinking of either twin SU's or twin stromy's as i cant afford to buy or run tripples but will consider any setup, i am currantly running a single twin throught stromy and also have a 350 Holly double pumper and manifold sitting in the shed that i took off as it chewed through to much fuel (i am on a bit of a student budget) any ideas?

cheers Matt
Jockster

Old Holdens never die they just go faster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2003, 11:57:35 AM »

Matt
If you want reasonable economy and power on a budget, use your exsting manifold and a two barrel webber  from an XE falcon, re-jetted to suit the Holden Six. These are a two stage two barrel so under light driving only operate on the primary barrel, but when booted both open up. I had this set-up on a 202 powered FCwith a mildly worked motor and it consistantly returned 32 mpg on the open road and around 24 mpg around town (don't know what that is in L/100Km).
I currently run twin stombergs on one of my FC's and while it has  abit more down low grunt it is not quite as economic as the webber.
Cheers
Jock

Cars are my life not just my work
Leon(FCCOOL)
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2003, 01:35:10 AM »

If you can get your hands on a holley 390 and 4 barrel manifold you will probably find that it uses less fuel than 350 as well as more power when you need it, I had SU's on my first two cars, I remember I used two have to synchronize my carbs nearly each morning before I went to school, I was pretty fussy then as I was always hoping to catch one of the other students at a set of lights on the way to school, none of them could ever beet me. they seemed to run pretty thirsty, I myself love the look and sound of triples but only run a two barrel holley as it is low maintanance and I find its pretty economical as it doesnt really seem to use much more than the stocker reds, The first one I had was pretty rough and chewed more juice and stalled alot  but I swapped it for another 350 with less wear and carried over my jets. the new one doesnt stall or chew much juice.
for economy the 2 barrel stromberg is probably a good option and standard equip on the GTR. if you want power and economy maybe try doing something else like a blue motor dizzy for about $50
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: