FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 15, 2024, 02:07:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: New Door Cards  (Read 9144 times)
Paul In Ireland
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« on: December 22, 2009, 11:45:14 AM »

Ebay Item #300369120567

Ebay Item #300369120649

The International FE FC Fleet of Ireland
Education is where you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't.
Jonno

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 10:50:23 AM »

Has anyone tried these for FE two-tone front doors? It seems to me that the holes for the divider are not quite in the same place as my existing ones. Huh

Jonno

Cottles Bridge, VIC
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 10:55:36 AM »

Would there be much call for a waterproof door card?
I can get hold of some gear that would suit.

graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 11:33:28 AM »

The holes are for FC trim only. For Fe you need to redrill.
Cheers,
Graham
Jonno

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 12:09:57 PM »

sounds like a good idea to me.

J

Cottles Bridge, VIC
Paul In Ireland
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 07:34:09 PM »

Would it make any difference? I mean the normal door cards can last 50 years and you are hardly likely to go surfing in your FE/FC... Is it also possible that a waterproof card would repel water into the rest of the inner door whereas a normal one would soak some of it up and let it evaporate normally? Just curious.

The International FE FC Fleet of Ireland
Education is where you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't.
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 07:38:52 PM »

Door card does not usually get wet only when the plastic that seals the door is removed or falls of ......FC427......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 09:51:48 PM »

I get a few people asking about it though, when I mention that I use MDF for door cards a few turn their noses up, I guess they don't fit the plastic liners  Undecided

DN2168
nsw-club

See you on the road Skag!!

dean.nommensen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 11:15:19 PM »

Hey Stinky, if it's not overly expensive to set up then I reckon go for it, who knows how many jobs down the track it could lead to. You could set up a niche market  Cheesy.

Dean.
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 11:27:13 PM »

I get a few people asking about it though, when I mention that I use MDF for door cards a few turn their noses up, I guess they don't fit the plastic liners  Undecided
Sorry Stinky but I hate the stuff it's weak in comparison to ply or Masonite and fails miserably when it gets wet, the only thing going for it is it's cheap and easy to work with  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes and makes good templates .......FC427......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 12:47:15 AM »

Sorry Stinky but I hate the stuff it's weak in comparison to ply or Masonite and fails miserably when it gets wet, the only thing going for it is it's cheap and easy to work with  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes and makes good templates .......FC427......
Horses for courses, I love using it for door trims (and not because it's cheap), Masonite might be strong but it is brittle. Give a Masonite door trim a whack to seat a stubborn clip and 9 times out of ten you have a busted trim. Ply tends to go "wonky" over time with heat and humidity. I have found MDF is especially good for FE/FC front door trims as there is a slight curve at the front of the door that it easily bends to fit. So far I haven't had any customers complain about their MDF door trims apart from one guy setting his on fire  Shocked.

FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2009, 08:51:32 AM »

Horses for courses, I love using it for door trims (and not because it's cheap), Masonite might be strong but it is brittle. Give a Masonite door trim a whack to seat a stubborn clip and 9 times out of ten you have a busted trim.
Stinky and your telling me MDF wont brake in the same instance  Huh Huh.....FC427.....

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2009, 09:55:19 AM »

Stinky, is the proper trim board not available any more?
Last time I needed new backing boards I went to a trimmer here in Melbourne who had the genuine board that was used in most cars from new. It's strong, flexible and easily worked with. And it resists moisture as well.

Ken
Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2009, 10:02:16 AM »

Stinky and your telling me MDF wont brake in the same instance  Huh Huh.....FC427.....
Not so far, I have found MDF will take a lot more abuse than Masonite (not being argumentative, just expressing an opinion)

Stinky, is the proper trim board not available any more?
Last time I needed new backing boards I went to a trimmer here in Melbourne who had the genuine board that was used in most cars from new. It's strong, flexible and easily worked with. And it resists moisture as well.

Ken
I have yet to find someone who supplies it, my regulars have no stock but I haven't gone to the "ends of the earth" so it may well still be out there.

GM

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2009, 10:09:19 AM »

I use mdf and paint it with bondcrete mixed with water 10-1 ratio. Works good for me.
             Cheers Glenn

Upon the hill there stood a cow.
It must have moved, It's not there now.
pedro
qld-club
Guru

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2009, 12:18:45 PM »

Don't know about you guys but to me a waterproof doorcard sounds like a great idea even if it did cost a few bucks more, do it once and do it right, as I've mentioned before when it really comes down up here it doesn't matter how good your seals are water still gets in, out of the four wagons i pulled to bits there wasn't one doorcard I'd call good.
     Pedro

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2010, 04:36:58 PM »

Got mine of e bay ages ago they were shipped from NZ from memory they were spot on and the masonite is a tiny bit thinner so the mouldings fitted perfect.
I was only put off the MDF because of the shonks that did my interior and it seemed like they had used thicker stuff and smashed the trims on.

But true the masonite is very stiff and the MDF seems to flex up on the top corners  on the front doors.

GM

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 06:59:15 PM »

Has anyone tried the bondcrete mix I suggested? It does work waterproofing it.

Upon the hill there stood a cow.
It must have moved, It's not there now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: