FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:45:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: bailey/pillar channels  (Read 2881 times)
Gary C
wa-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: April 02, 2010, 09:38:36 PM »

I have been dreading and avoiding the installation of my door windows, including door belts,bailey channels and rubbers etc but the time has arrived. I have read as much as I can on previous posts, but sometimes you can have too much info. All my gear is from rares.
There is the long bailey channel that is about 1100mm long (part no RBC1064) the rares man said "don't cut this piece",,well how are you to fit this without cutting. I also have the steel backed Bailey channel( x 4,no part no) I assume that this piece is to fit in the divider channel? I have just destroyed 1 of the RBC1064 channels trying to bend it over the rear window as they suggest.I know there is a bit of chat re the installation of the above but I have read it all and still need help. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Gary C
Spinner
nsw-club

Whitewalls - more than 'just' a way of life.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 01:58:38 PM »

Gary,

This may sound patronising, it is not meant to.  Fitting the bailey Channel is easy.

Your long piece does need to be cut, so that it goes into the top of the door and the straight edge of the door (back of front, front of back).  Measure the length of the top of door channel maybe six or seven times, to get it right.  Mark your long piece with a pencil, then cut.  You can cut it at a right angle or you can cut it at 45 degrees, to make a factory looking join, where the pieces meet at the corners.    The only bending that you should do is to shape your cut piece over the rear door window.  You should not attempt to bend it over the right angle at the front/rear of the glass.  It will not bend.

When you have it cut, push it into the door channel.  I used some Liquid Nails to glue mine in.  What made mine a little easier was that I did the right two doors, then the left two doors, so that I always had an assembled door to copy off.

I reckon that it'll take you about 90 minutes to two hours to do your first door, then it will take less on each of teh other three.

(0414) 49-6706.  d5461 on Ebay.
Gary C
wa-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 04:53:45 PM »

Thanks Spinner, I did try to bend one as the rares man suggested, and it just didn't happen. I cut and fitted both rear doors this morning and all is good. Iam now onto the front doors and are trying to figure out the rubber seal for the 1/4 window.
Do you have to remove the top rivet at the pivot point to install the rubber seal or do you make a cut in the rubber seal at the lower pivot to insert the rubber seal ? Every little bit of info is appreciated Spinner no matter how simple it may seem
Thanks again,Gary C
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 03:28:20 PM »

Just done mine on the Ambo, you have to remove the rivet & replace with the pair (1 each side) from Rare Spares

The new rivet may need the hole in the hinge to be enlarged slightly with a drill

After fitting the rubber to the frame, get a helper to hold the 1/4 window assembly upside down with the top or head of the rivet resting on an anvil so you can whack / spread the underside of the new rivet with a centre punch

Also, there is a small slit in the rubber near the rivet hinge, make sure to slide it over the hinge

When re fitting the assembly to the car

Don't forget the drip deflector that fits between the door frame & the assembly like I did  Roll Eyes

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: