FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 19, 2024, 10:16:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Gas or Gasless  (Read 26656 times)
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2011, 04:19:10 PM »

Not Happy Jan, I believe what a bloke once told me, it sort of rings in my ears and has been good advice for anyone.

He is a funny bloke, a real country fella. He said "well if your asking me whether you should weld with bloody gas or that gasless s##t, you've answered your own bloody question - if you need to ask me that then ya better go gas for sure", but there were more expletives.  Cheesy. What he was saying is that he could weld with anything but someone asking that will need gas  Tongue

So I suppose what he is saying is that if we feel the need to ask a question like this, perhaps use gas.

What shits me is I have some proper welder mates who dont even care much for getting the setting half right, but they seem to still do a perfect weld and they vary their own speed etc (I suppose this is more true with arc). Before I die I hope to become a fairly capable welder, so by the time im on my 4th FE/FC project, perhaps I will be either senile or a good welder  Grin

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
JB
qld-club
Guru

Model: FE

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2011, 06:12:24 PM »

My whole car has been done with a Lincoln 180... Best purchase I ever made, and have welded from 1mm to 10mm.  Grin Grin

JB

Phone +64 223509263
Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Model: FC

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2011, 09:47:32 PM »

FE 4 me don't worry about it  Wink
These are the sorts of questions and responses that I was looking for.  Thanks everyone.
Off to but some gas.
Is there a certain quality or type of wire to use. I had a welder patient in the other day and he said that he is using flux wire with gas Huh Huh ???Overkill Huh
Did a section with the TIG and actually quite like the finish Cool

Can't wait to get into some practice with the MIG. But i'm having some difficulty fabricating the corner window section Sad Its hard !!!. Have got a section lined up from EffCEE Grin
I've got to concentrate on the subframe ATM. so i can do the bottom of the sills and line the holes up Tongue

You can never have too many!
Port Macquarie NSW
FE 4 ME
qld-club

"A Sweet Sensation"

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2011, 10:06:21 PM »

Cheers Not Happy Jan,

it's been a learing curve, i think my MIG by the looks of it just might not cut it, but b4 i throw it in the corner, i might just hunt down an old panel that is beyond life and practice and practice some more to see if it can be used b4 i fork out some cash on another MIG....

FE 4 ME

$$$ Parts Catalogue 1948-1969 for sale ONLY $15 $$ all Money goes to the FE/FC Club QLD PM Me to get this great Catalogue
FE 4 ME
qld-club

"A Sweet Sensation"

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2011, 10:10:11 PM »

Looks like you've been busy Not Happy Jan, hence the rare response on here, more reading posts and getn the job done by the looks of it ??

thats pic looks like your on the right path...looks like it's coming up nice, clean and filling the holes...

all the best on your resto

"Have a Great Holden ( FE ) Day !!! "    Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

FE 4 ME

$$$ Parts Catalogue 1948-1969 for sale ONLY $15 $$ all Money goes to the FE/FC Club QLD PM Me to get this great Catalogue
FE 4 ME
qld-club

"A Sweet Sensation"

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2011, 10:13:47 PM »

Keep the pics coming....maybe start up a new thread with your Resto in " Project Cars "  ??

keep up the good work, remember ....Practice always makes perfect, even if it takes a few learning warm ups 1st hehehhe !!  Grin Grin Grin

Have Fun anyway Not Happy Jan

FE 4 ME

FE 4 ME
qld-club

"A Sweet Sensation"

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2011, 10:16:20 PM »

Undecided Undecided Undecided  oppsss  you already have...i think i will give it a read

cheers

FE 4 ME

FE 4 ME
qld-club

"A Sweet Sensation"

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2011, 11:17:02 PM »

Hey There fchoon,
    i was reading Nicks other thread and you mentioned TIG welding..... I'm very experienced with oxy fusion/brazing/welding... but never really used a TIG welder ( i think once or twice when i was at tech like 20 yrs ago )...whats the difference and how's the set up ?

When i was in my early 20's i got my 1st ( and only so far ) FC holden and was keen to cut out and oxy the floor pans, but found that fusion wasn't that easy, ended up bronze welding the panels ( to provide lower heat )...mind you it was like a size 18 or 20 tip....Does Fusion/brazing for car panels creates too much heat Huh  would oxy be any good for car repairs Huh  Does TIG create similar heat ? Or me being experienced with oxy stick to oxy welding with a small tip on car work ??

what's your thoughts and experience on this, clearly you have plenty of experience and knownledge on all of the above

thankx  fchoon ( again  Wink )

"Have a Great Holden ( FE ) Day !!! "  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

FE 4 ME

FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2011, 05:07:36 AM »

I love tig and thats pretty much all i use i have a workshop with 9 blokes all use tig everyday and have their own on their bench all  cig 220,s AC/DC,s
3 Kemmppi 250amp water cooled units for them bigger alloy jobs.
 and we have 2 migs in the workshop that get used a couple of times a week.

Tig takes practise and a fair bit of it but anyone that can oxy weld seems to pick it up good.
Most old fellas i teach can do it great but there eyes are stuffed half the time and they wont admit it but they cannot see the weld.

We use high frequency tigs as they start the arc for you.

I have taught a few mates and set them up with tigs to use on panels took a while but so much more control in filling welds ect.

I havent recommended it on here as its not everyones cup of tea and migs can be more versatile for most people.

FE 4 ME
qld-club

"A Sweet Sensation"

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2011, 08:58:15 AM »

Thankx fchoon....i oxy and option for car welds or too much heat ??

thankx for your info Mate, i wll check out some TIG machines and maybe do some research online

although oxy needs 2 bottle rentals it's something i can do upside down, backwards and maybe with my eyes close ( only on someone elses car  Grin Tongue Cheesy Grin..just joken i dont work on anyones car hehehe )

"Have a Great Holden ( FE ) Day !!! "  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

FE 4 ME

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2011, 12:00:51 PM »

ppl that can use tige can do some awesome shit with varied materials hey.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
FE 4 ME
qld-club

"A Sweet Sensation"

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2011, 01:51:20 PM »

Yeah it's a bit like oxy too ive welded lead, copper,brass, steel, alloy ( with careful attention ) just about anything really..havent tried stainless but couldnt see why not... the problem is heat transfer...as ive never used oxy on car panels, this is my question...maybe use a small 6 tip and light flame and weld it like a MIG in small sections at a time to keep the heat down ( and maybe quench each tack as you go..but this i feel will cause more creasing as the metal radically cools down )....maybe use bronze to keep the heat right down but still get good peneration..but would prefer fusion, as its a much better bond and penetration

so i'm hoping someone who has tried or knows about using oxy to weld on car panels or light gauge sheet could shed some light

FE 4 ME   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2011, 08:36:44 PM »

I have used oxy for rust repairs for the last 35 years with no problems  I always butt weld number 8 tip is OK but I use my Dillon a lot more these days ...Dolly it up while it's still hot and then you can cool it out with a water rag or a blast of compressed air and move along at 1" to 2"  at a time and repeat as you get better you should be able to file finish a lot of your repairs ....FC427.....

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
FE 4 ME
qld-club

"A Sweet Sensation"

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2011, 08:56:46 PM »

Thankx FC427...i guess it's a lot slower with oxy to quench each 2" run, when i find an old guard to try out my welding skills with MIG i might go out and hire some oxy bottles and see the difference, but thankx for confirming my thoughts that oxy can be done

cheers FC427

FE 4 ME

FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2011, 09:03:41 PM »

It's not much slower than mig when you get the hang of it and so much easier to dress up Grin and the weld is soft compared to mig which make  panel beating so much better ......FC427.....

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
FE 4 ME
qld-club

"A Sweet Sensation"

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2011, 09:10:45 PM »

do you just fuse it and use filler rods ( coat hangers hehe ? i gather quencing every 2" stops warping the panel ?

whats the biggest thing to look out for

i'm keen to give them both a go..the only upside to MIG for me is less bottle rental

but oxy im very comfortable with

be keen to know your thoughts FC 427

thankx

FE 4 ME

jack_fc

SouthWest Coast, Victoria

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2011, 09:11:56 PM »

I have used oxy for rust repairs for the last 35 years ....FC427.....

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes geez, and I thought I was slow...   Wink

"when I was a young lout, it was all about sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, beer and hot Holdens. Now I'm an old lout, but I've still got the old Holdens and beer..."
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2011, 09:14:13 PM »

No not coat hanger it's hi tensile and zinc plated  use wire mild steel filler rod 1.6mm ....FC427....

FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2011, 09:15:59 PM »

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes geez, and I thought I was slow...   Wink

Jack you are Old and Slow Roll Eyes Roll Eyes but what an awesome car you drive ....FC427.....

jack_fc

SouthWest Coast, Victoria

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2011, 09:26:00 PM »

Mark, us old and slow blokes deserve old and fast cars...

(and all the better if the cars look shitloads cooler than we do  Grin)

"when I was a young lout, it was all about sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, beer and hot Holdens. Now I'm an old lout, but I've still got the old Holdens and beer..."
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: