FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 14, 2024, 06:50:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Original FE  (Read 23302 times)
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2008, 06:18:03 PM »

Tom, I really need the chassis number for accurate dating, check the subframe near the battery top. Should be fairly small numbers but a rag with a bit of thinners on it may clean up things sufficiently to read it. What are the other numbers on the ID plate?

Fantastic car - looks like a great project.

Ken
KFH
qld-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2008, 08:02:50 PM »

Replying too early to a topic can, at times, can cause foot in mouth problems. When I first replied to this topic I was a bit off track. I will eat humble pie.  When I first read your description of the rust in the engine bay area I was mentally comparing with the surface rust in the engine bay of my car.  Looking at the photos I see that the engine bay appears to be in really good condition and would certainly advise keeping it original and just tidy up any areas that may need minor attention.  Nice to see a good original car with low mileage.  You have a very fine example of this.

Keith

I was born with nothing and still have most of it left
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2008, 03:46:11 PM »

The numbers on the FE: Body FE215-5315-A and Eng L416740.

So yeah if someone can give me an approximate date of build (dad reckons about '56 as the rear window rubber has the indent for the chrome strip that was deleted in '57).

Tom G

That body number looks like a '56 build, but the chassis number would tell you for certain. You'll find it on the ridge of the passenger's side inner skirt, most likely between the battery and the regulator. The stamped numbers are about 1/4" tall, so not that obvious.

Your Dad is correct, the skinny rear window stainless trim was only on '56 FEs, but it was also only on Specials. Standard models like yours had plain rubber with no adornment.

There are a couple of other visual clues for an early body:

1. There aren't any supports between the top of the rear wheel arch and the rear parcel tray in the boot area. Later bodies had this strengthening.
2. The lip of the swage line of the exterior wheel arch has only a single skin. Later bodies are reinforced here.
3. Early ones were not fitted with the black rain gutter along the LHS between the skirt and guard (to keep moisture off the regulator/battery). This was often fitted later, so the lack of one is of more consequence than having one.
4. Rear early ones (like mine) don't have the -A on the end of the body ID, because FE bodies were only being manufactured at Adelaide initially. Sydney and Melbourne came on line in September, which is when the -A, -S and -M suffixes commenced.

Hope that's some help. Great car you've got there.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
oldholden

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2008, 05:33:59 PM »

Howdy all

Well I fitted the radiator this arvo and the panel covering it that holds the bonnet catch. After a week it started first pop and idled with no choke. After taking away the stands it was the moment of truth: putting it in gear and driving the old girl for the first time in probably 25 years. And you guessed it, she drives like new.  Grin

No suspension noises, creaks, or groans and spritley acceleration. Even the non-power assisted four wheel drums work well after a master cylinder recond and brake bleed. The whole thing just drives beautifully and way better than I imagined. I haven't even done the grease nipples yet.

Ken, I will attempt to get you a chassis no when I start on the cleaning of the engine bay. As discussed I have painted the rocker cover, air cleaner and a few other parts in poor repair. Only the inner guards now need attention and I think they can be done minimally and done well.

Geoff K, the trim no is 184 673 and the paint is 256 7484. I would be keen to know what that means.

I have sent some more pics to Alex of the car as it stands today after the first drive. It looks very cool with original dust and dirt but deserves a good clean and polish, perticularly the chrome. Sent a few pics of the books and original tool kit made from material that matches the roof lining, very cool.

You will note I have fitted radials with white walls. I know this was not standard but as it won't get driven much it will last better on radials. As for the white walls, I just thought they looked great. I have not fitted the hubcaps yet as they need to come off again when I remove the wheels to clean the chassis and suspension components.

And John, yes John A Gilbert is my brother but there may be others! We are the ex Holden dealers in Mt.Barker, SA, hence the cars. We now sell only new Toyota. Would love to know how you know him (if it's the same one that is).

Will keep you posted of body improvments over the next couple of weeks. Can't believe there are so many car nuts aout there. What a great way to share stuff, my wife doesn't mind it but doesn't really get it (although she's married to a car dealer). You guys just love it. Thanks for your input.

Tom

Go Grey! (motor that is)

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2008, 06:20:43 PM »

Tom, the codes indicate Fall Red interior colour and Shoreline Beige paint colour.

Are there any remains of an old rego sticker on the quarter vent window? This can also help to provide dating details.  Yours is one of only 4 that I know of to still exist in this colour. I have the details of 2 others which have been wrecked.

Regards  Ken
Geoff_K
nsw-club

The 2 BAY s

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2008, 09:05:17 PM »

Tom,
Further to Kens advice, the Charcoal Grey top to the dash, black steering column, black steering column to dash bracket, and the Shoreline Beige Colour provides additional weight to the Car being a 1957 build.
Cheers Geoff_K
oldholden

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2008, 09:40:42 PM »

Hi again

no Ken no rego sticker but looking through the books etc I have an old rego paper! I must admit I hadn't even looked closley at it. It states the year of manufacture as 1958, Reg 322223 (I don't have the oroginal plates but might apply for them). I also have the previous owners Lic, owners manual, Air Chief car radio manual (models RL - RM) , a "Good Houskeeping in your car" booklet from GMH, a Driving Instructions and Manufacturers Warranty four page booklet and two Owners Manuals. I do not have a Service Book as such and wonder if indeed it ever had one. Some on may be able to clarify this.

Anyway I drove the car about 20km home tonight from work and it just hummed the whole way. Sat on around 100km\h and powered up even the steepest hills on the South Eastern Freeway. It was great. I have flushed the cooling system about seven or eight times tonight and it's looking almost up to scratch.

Before hooking up the radiator I put a small piece of stocking in the inlet of the top tank to catch any scale washed through from the block. It worked a treat and caught a cap full of detritus that didn't make its way into the lovely new recored radiator.

Now I can't wait for the morning so I can drive it to work! Tomorrow I will clean the 20 odd years of dirt from the paint ans commence on the chrome on the weekend.

All good

Tom
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2008, 10:07:17 PM »

Hey Tom
Here are the pics.
That rego number is a cool combo, I think you should see if you can get 'em.
Interesting that there is a radio booklet and no radio!
How about a pic of the tools all laid out?

Regards
Alex

customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2008, 10:10:27 PM »

Ohhh, and don't forget to share some pics after the ol' girl has her day spa treatment.
Regards
Alex

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2008, 06:47:27 PM »

Tom, I agree with the 1958 year of manufacture, what is the date of payment on the rego paper?  This is the date I was hoping to find on a rego sticker if it existed.  There was no service booklet for the FE or FC model. Some of the bigger dealerships made their own, but most just advised owners when services were due via the sticker on the screen system.

Ken

Ken
oldholden

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2008, 10:19:15 PM »

Thanks Ken

Thought I might be missing something there but as there is no service book, looks like she's pretty much complete. Drove it home again tonight with some cooling system cleaner and hope after the NEXT draining she may come clean.

Had an initial clean today and with wheels trims on she has turned a few heads. It's clear there are a few more enthusiasts out there.

More pics to follow.

Complements of the day

Tom
oldholden

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2008, 10:37:45 PM »

Sorry, I forgot to tell you. I am wearing an original GM "Quality Guardian Maintenance Service" GM-H dust coat. I found it as we knocked down our old parts dept. before we rebuild. Its 3/4 length, grey with red stripes down each arm and the oval shaped "Quality Guardian Maintenance Service" oval shaped batch on the pocket. Looks smart, might do a repro...

Tom  Cheesy
KFH
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2008, 11:44:36 PM »

How unreal is that. A picture of the dust coat would be nice.

Keith

I was born with nothing and still have most of it left
weddo
tas-club

HIS, HER's & OUR's

billnjudiwedd@gmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2008, 04:51:34 PM »

I have been watching this topic evolve and am very envious of the "old girl" it looks to be a super little vehicle and obviously warrants being kept in its very original form.
You are a very lucky person Tom.
Are you having fun cleaning the chrome, as I notice that it only gleems on the driver side, or are you leaving the passenger side chrome for your wife. Roll Eyes Grin

regards
Weddo
oldholden

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2008, 01:48:09 PM »

Now there's a thought Weddo!!  Cheesy

But unfortunately no. I did a very quick polish on one side when I first rolled it into the workshop to see what it may come up like. I will get to that later. I am just awaiting some door rubbers and things before I commence on the rest of the body clean up process. Now all the hard stuff is done I will just take it home from time to time and finish it off. Might take me a few weeks now as this weekend we have a wedding Sat and you guessed it, Clipsal 500 on Sunday in the Castrol corporate facility. Should be a hoot.

Tom
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2008, 04:27:24 PM »

Hi Tom,
This a great story and like all the others I am envious. Will we see you at the Nats?
Cheers,
Graham
oldholden

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2008, 09:43:37 PM »

Howdy Graham

no, no Nats for me this year. I did see a beautiful FC ute on the South Eastern Freeway late last week, presumably on the way to the Nats (in Mt.Gambier I believe). Maybe next year.

For those still interested I have done a couple of other jobs recently. I managed to obtain the plastic seat trim from Rare Spares and that's being colour coded as we speak. I took the plunge and ordered door rubbers as they we a bit chewed out along the sill and detratced from the neatness of the car. I have now removed the doors to enable proper fitment of the rubbers.

Something else that was bugging me was the rusty scuff plates so I am having them re-plated along with a few other parts like the bonnet hinges, bonnet hinge springs and bonnet catch.

I promise, I am not going over board and will stop after these items are refitted and I have given the inner guards and battery tray a bit of spray in black. I will then commence with giving the interior and exterior a birthday bringing the old girl back to her former glory.

Just for the record I reckon I flushed the radiator about 22 times before it flushed clean.  Roll Eyes

How were the Nats anyway?

Tom
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2008, 09:58:30 PM »

Hi Tom, The Nats are at Mt Gambier at Easter time.Great to hear you are having fun with prettying up the old girl. More pics required when you can. Sorry we won't see you and the FE at the Nats.
Cheers,
Graham
TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2008, 06:59:37 PM »

Any new updates on the "freshen up"? Huh

Run your fingers over my Holden and I'll run my Holden over your fingers!!!!
oldholden

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2008, 01:19:25 PM »

Howdy all, apologies for the big delay since my last post. The FE project has been completed. One of the techy's has adjusted the tappets and we will fit a new speedo cable as the last one broke the other day on the way home. As John said earlier, I have done a little as possible so as to conserve the vehicle. It will go back into storage after I have taken a few pics and posted them. Now it is on the road again it will be easy to get it our when the need arises.
I have recently taken the FJ out of (poor) storage and had new tyres and battery fitted. It runs perfectly but needs a mechanical once over inc changing the fluids and a good detail. It will make an appearance in the Bay to Birdwood next month (Sept 08). I will be away unfortunately so one of my enthusiastic sales blokes will be behind the wheel.
Anyway a few pics of the FE to follow.

Cheers

Tom
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: