FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 22, 2024, 12:23:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Where to mount rear seatbelts  (Read 2794 times)
NES304
Guru

Model: FC

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« on: April 12, 2014, 06:23:51 PM »

Where have people put the mounts in the rear? Looking especially at the one near the wheel arch.

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 08:37:18 PM »

If you poke the end of the seat belt in between the very bottom of the seat back and the wheel arch so that the metal bracket is just hidden, this would be ideal. This then allows the belt to be pulled towards the centre of the car by the wearer and it will not be trying to bend the seat frame with the webbing.
By keeping the belt mount low it ensures that the belt fits snuggly around the hip and doues not pull around the waist. This is important for children who generally have smaller frames than adults.
If you mount the belt behind the seat base it pulls at the wrong angle on the metal bracket.
Try a few positions out and then imagine the belt fitted to a person, or even better sit someone there and try the belt around them.

Ken
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 06:57:22 AM »

G'day NES,

Just a thought before you start drilling - have you checked with your rego authority (or engineer) on how anal retentive they want to be on seatbelts? If the car is getting engineered, it's up to the individual engineer. If you are going normal NSW rego, then it will be assessed by an RTA Authorised Restraint Fitting Station (http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/index.cgi?action=authrestraintfitting.form). This is not an engineers certificate, just an inspection and basic form to sign off and fairly cheap (>$100). Most fitting Stations will not let you do the work yourself (to a decent standard) and then inspect and certify it - most will only certify if they do the work themselves (in the end it's their signature on the line).

Some Fitting Stations (and engineers) require full compliance to ADR5 (http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2009C00157/Html/Text#_Toc1235628295870) when you install - there are some tricky bits in ADR/5 about how far apart the belts can be that will determine where you start drilling. I got caught out, and had to redrill some holes in my C pillars... not fun. You nearly need to be a rocket scientist to decipher ADR5. I've started a simple laymans explanation (with pictures  Grin) but havn't got round to finishing it yet.

Engineers often reference the National Code of Practice for Light Vehicle Construction and Modification Section LK Seating and Occupant Protection (often referred to as NCOP). NCOP is virtually identical to the requirements of ADR4 and ADR5 for seatbelt mounts... just not structured as well in it's text.

Cheers,
Harv
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 12:35:15 PM »

Have a look on p4of my build, shows the centre,wheel arch and parcel shelf. You should check the regulations,if you are getting the car engineered, you will need retractable belts for the outer belts.
Regards Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 02:22:32 PM »

all good info guys cheers. My engineer only cares about the size of the plate behind it and gave me those specs and as long as it is welded behind the steel the bolt would "pull" through then he was happy.

Oh AND that they had to be new belts and clips too so that one in the photo is only for test fitting. That blue definitely wont suit my interior!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: