FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 07, 2024, 03:52:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: HELP!!!!!  (Read 6338 times)
Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Model: FC

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« on: May 02, 2013, 05:48:24 PM »

Drove up to valla beach from port and  the car went well, went to drive back after a gome of golf and it started sputtering and eventaully stalled. There is fuel getting through and it will run if you pump the accelerator but will eventually stall . hold the throttle down and it will stall. you have to pump it.
Still i put in some fuel!  I checked the dizzy. it seemed all ok there was some uneven wear on the rotor but it is not that old.leads seem ok ? sounds fuel to me . blocked jets> . I 've just left it a side street and will go back tomorrow.
ANY IDEAS ??
Nick

You can never have too many!
Port Macquarie NSW
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 06:20:45 PM »

Take filler cap off and fuel line and blow back make sure nothings blcking pick up.

Then clean jets?

Good luck.

Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 06:41:53 PM »

thanks Pete.
what blow back through the whole line ?
how do you clean the jets on the side of the road??
Nick

Port Macquarie NSW
FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 06:50:42 PM »

Yeah might be blocking pickup line in the tank.

Never pulled a stromberg apart actually LOL but id say just undo the big flat blade looking screw heads think jets are in there.

someone will help with more info im sure or ill go check manual if you want..

Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 06:56:39 PM »

im gonna check it out tomorrow,
I may have to give you a call.

Port Macquarie NSW
FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 07:29:51 PM »

No worries 0410687343

fink

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 07:40:43 PM »

Needle and seat could be blocked,if you have a fuel filter and it's old it   can let shit through,so change both,check your fuel pipe iznt resting on thermo housing,also check all the screws on the carby,they always loosen up ,even on base to the manifold,good luck,Gaz! :: Grin
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 07:46:07 PM »

To pull the main jet and clean it you will need a jet removing tool as the main jet is round with two flat sides and is in behind the screw in the body of the carby .....FC427.....

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 10:31:05 PM »

G'day Nick,

I have had a similar problem, twice, with 2 different cars, the both times it turned out to be a blocked pick up tube in the petrol tank

On one car it could not be unblocked and the tank was changed, on the other car, we blew compressed air down the line and heard a muffled bloop noise, so unblocked and now ok

this was despite cleaning and washing both tanks out before fitting

You could try a seperate can of petrol hooked up

Good luck

Gary
Just40
qld-club

I cant fix my brakes, so I made my horn LOUDER

just40fe
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 12:22:04 AM »

well after 2 years of my red wagon playing up i found the problem this week, blocked fuel line 60cm from the tank, cut the line open and found it blocked with rust and crap,replaced the whole line and i have never had this car run so well.
mind you i had pulled the tank out and cleaned it 5-6 times, cleaned both carby 5-6 times and replaced the fuel pump twice.
it would run ok for weeks then play up like a 2bob watch, then run ok again.

Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 09:20:59 AM »
+2

Nick,

Some side-of-the-road remedies:
a) check for blocked jets. With the car parked, remove the air cleaner assembly (lid and filter and base). Start the engine and try to hold it a little bit above idle. Whilst it's running, put your palm over the carb throat to block it off. Hold for a second or so (engine will die down... try not to stall it) then take your hand off. Repeat a few times. This process puts extra "suck" on the jets, and often pulls through the crap.
b) check for lack of fuel supply. With the car parked and the air cleaner still off, remove the top six slot-head screws that hold the air horn onto the carb base. Gently pull off the air horn, taking care that as it separates you don't tear the gasket (a bread knife can help). Leave the air horn dangling off the choke cable. Put your cigarrete out, then start the engine. With the engine running, take a look at the float. If it is sitting down low (and the fuel bowl level is low), then you have a fuel supply problem rather than a problem inside the carb (work through the items c), d) etc below). If the fuel supply is good, then you need to work on the carb guts - tow it home.
c) Assuming the float is low and this is a fuel supply problem, we will work backwards from the carb to the tank. 1st step - check the needle and seat. Undo the ½” AF fuel line flare nut from the side of the carb, then screw out the 9/16” AF brass float needle valve and seat assembly. Blow any crap out of the seat, and give the needle a clean up on your shirt. Put it back together again and start the car. Look at the float again and see if it has now got good level. If the level is good, reassemble the air horn.
d) Assuming the needle and seat is OK, time to check the fuel pump. Undo the round clamp on top of the fuel pump and take off the glass bowl. Go easy, as there is a cork gasket under the glass bowl that you will want to reuse. Using two fingers, pull the brass screen out of the top of the fuel pump and give it a (really good!) floosh out in some fuel. Blow it out using your breath. Repeat a few times (the screens are fiddly). Reassemble the pump and try again.
e) If this doesn't work, tow it home. Remove the fuel tank filler cap. Disconnect the fuel line from the tank-side of the fuel pump and use a compressor to blow the line back to the tank. If your tank is near full, this can blurt fuel out of the filler - best to do it in the open air and without a cigarrete dangling from your lips.

Cheers,
Harv
Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 02:43:46 PM »

Thanks all. That's a great trouble shooter guide Harv!
Got back to the car early this am.
In this order
Blew out the tank from the filler stem..... Same
Cleaned the rotor cap with some sandpaper. Checked lead and coil. Bit better. It could run now at idle without stalling. Still would not drive very well. BETTER.
Took off the air filter and closed off the carby throat with my hand and cleaned to the jets......MUCH BETTER.....drove home listening to Nelly Furtardo... Went like a dream.
Must have been some crappy fuel I put in !!!
New fuel filter and change over to the electronic ignition that I bought from Maco.
Thanks everyone.THIS IS A FANTASTIC FORUM!
Nick

Port Macquarie NSW
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 03:01:10 PM »

Now theres the problem... that Nelly Furtado will definitely make it run like crap  Grin

Glad to hear you're back on the road mate.

Cheers,
Harv
MalFE
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 08:39:19 PM »

I've worked on a couple of greys that had original braided flexible fuel lines that didn't leak fuel but evidently had a small hole causing an air leak which prevented the pump sucking fuel.

When I was responsible for the running of FX and FJ taxis years ago they had plenty of carby blockages and a quick fix was to reverse two plug leads and rev the engine so that it back fired which often cleared the obstruction.

Mal.
FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 09:20:45 PM »

reverse two plug leads and rev the engine so that it back fired which often cleared the obstruction.

Mal.

Love it

FCV08

FE FC Club of QLD

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2013, 11:14:55 PM »

Yep I'm with you Pete Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Sorry I switched to EFI
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...