FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:16:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: fitting front windscreen  (Read 3701 times)
vivan

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: April 18, 2013, 09:48:33 AM »

Hi , just trying to fit front screen. 1. rubber on screen . 2 . rubber and screen in car .3. fit strips and screws ? Took some work to get top strip in but bottom strip no go. How do i get bottom strip in ?
ACE
Guru

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 10:05:28 AM »

G'day vivan,
The strips need to be fitted to the rubber before fitting to the windscreen and then fit the windscreen to the car.
Hope this helps Wink
ACE  Cool
Just40
qld-club

I cant fix my brakes, so I made my horn LOUDER

just40fe
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 10:06:14 AM »

they way i have done them is 1. rubber on screen, 2 chrome in rubber, 3 the whole lot into car.

vivan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 11:22:28 AM »

Ok thanks. i thought that was how i done the ek years ago but was told otherwise so only had half a go. will make a propper effort now i know thats the correct way thanks
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 11:40:36 AM »

I voted technical.... Whats the vote for?

fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 07:04:43 PM »

Vivian, as the others have stated, you need to fit the rubber to the screen then fit the moulds into the rubber first. This is what I do for a living, you need to make sure the body and screen are free of old sealer, once you have fitted the moulds place a 4-5 mm thick sash cord around the rubber lip then run sealer around the contact surface of the rubber and around the body opening. Place the screen in the body and pull the rope through so it pulls the lip over the body flange. Once you have the screen in place run sealer between the rubber and glass to give a good water tight seal.I use a flat plastic paint stirrer to clean up the excess as it does'nt scratch the paint, then clean it up with turps or kero. It's a bit messy but better than a leaking screen every time you go out in the rain.
hope this helps, Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
FCV08

FE FC Club of QLD

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 08:42:25 PM »

Jim,
Do you give lessons as I paid to get both front and rear fitted and two young blokes arrived and cleaned absolutely nothing then tried fitting the front screen after itbwouldnt fit properly and tried to blame the shape of the screen. I requested they remove and try again they achieved A slightly better result but i intend to R&R to get a better result. a definite waste of $100.

My neighbour assisted me in refitting the rear as per your description below and the result was very successful.

I might pass on your details so they can find out how it's done properly.

Cheers

Craig
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 10:03:55 PM »

Thats half the problem these days, most of the younger guys don't know how to approach the older style screens as they are use to the bonded style fitment on the newer cars. 36 years fitting screens I like to think I have a handle on how things are done. I was taught on the older cars, holdens fords valiants etc. most fitters these days would'nt know what the older cars are let alone how to fit them.
Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: