FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 09, 2024, 09:25:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Brake failure switch on dual circuit master cylinder.  (Read 5357 times)
mikey

Werribee

View Profile
« on: August 07, 2008, 06:12:04 PM »

Hello everyone, glad the forum is now working again after it took a short holiday.

I would like to know if it is a Victorian engineers requirement to have a brake failure switch on a dual circuit master cylinder.

I have seen after market dual circuit master cylinders that do not have the switch and do not have provisions for one.

I have never experienced a failure in either of the two circuits in any car I have ever driven but would imagine that it would be felt in the pedal right away and would not need an idiot light to tell you something is wrong, is this a fair assumption?

I don't have an old master cylinder floating around to pull apart to see how the switch is activated. Is it a limit type switch that is pushed by something or is it a true pressure differential type?

Thanks,  M

Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now!
smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 06:22:05 PM »

hi mikey, i think your best bet would be to contact vic roads and see what they say.

for what its worth, the commodore master i am running in mine has the brake fail switch and i have ben told that if it is on the unit then i has to be incorporated, i will wire it from the cylinder but the wires will terminate somwhere out of site so the unit will appear to be opperational.

i still reckon the best brake fail indicator is when you car just wont stop, your brakes dont work Wink Wink

dean

i may be getting older, but i refuse to grow up!
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 06:27:38 PM »

Hi Mikey don't know about VIC but in NSW it is not a requirement I had an engineer tell me he wanted it then when I quizzed him about it he later said it was not compulsory just a good idea and not one of the ADR I had to comply to  so I never wired it and I still got my engineer certificate.......FC427.......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
mikey

Werribee

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 07:09:40 PM »

Agree it is is a good idea in principal, but a bit pointless in my opinion almost like having a little light telling your engine has just stalled due to running out of fuel, yeah DUUUUHHHH   Smiley

Would personally be quite happy to run without one.

Might have to speak to the authority to get the OK as I would really hate to buy a master without switch and have to swap it over..

Thanks everyone,     M

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 09:33:50 PM »

When I was at H/S we stocked recoed HQ brake fail switches for engineers requirements. They are a pressure differential switch and all lines are routed through it.

Ken
mikey

Werribee

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 09:59:42 PM »

Ken thanks for that,
                            One of my original questions was going to be "are there remote pressure switches available" ? but I thought I had asked enough for the time being.

At least if I do get a master without switch it is still possible to plumb a switch into the system somewhere.

Regards  M

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: