FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 16, 2024, 12:29:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Who can ID this Diff ?  (Read 3555 times)
Blown_FC

FC Holdens & Mini Coopers....Cars of the Century

View Profile
« on: March 08, 2004, 11:58:07 PM »

I bought my FC with a 173 red motor and Trimatic conversion already done, so chances are the diff is not original either.

I pulled the diff out on the weekend adn it's a bit different than the FC manual I have, so I'm hoping someone can tell me what model holden it came out of ?

It is of course a Holden Banjo diff, and it does have a 3.08 centre, but there are a couple of stampings on it.,,

Looking at the pinion / yoke side of the diff, there is a number stamped into the right hand ( passenger side ) axle housing just to the right of the diff hat....( I I K 7 D )
and on the actual diff hat, top left corner, is a raised id of [ L O I H ]...and on the left ( drivers side ) axle housing, there is a  ( 37 ) stamped into it.

Now the other difference I noticed, is that it didn't have U bolts holding the diff to the springs...rather just 4 nut and bolts sandwiching the springs to the bottom of the axle housing, where as the FC manual shows 2 u bolts ?

Also the rear drum brakes looked different than the manual.

I need to know what model holden the diff is from ( maybe it is FC ? ) so I can order new brake parts for it.

Can anyone help ?

Cheers

mark
FC-V8

Model: FC

Not enough hours in the day

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004, 12:20:58 AM »

I think it is a HR diff as they have the 4 nut and bolts sandwiching the springs to the bottom of the axle housing. If your FC is running a disc brake frontend than I think someone has installed the HR diff with 9/16in wheel cylinders so it got the correct brake proportion.
Glenn

What it to rev ? install a CHEV !
0401-065-201
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2004, 12:33:12 AM »

just climbed under my car ,cant see any numbers but fits your description exactly so now i know my car has HR rear end and also drum brake HR front end as well under car i noticed the ball joint front .

Blown_FC

FC Holdens & Mini Coopers....Cars of the Century

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2004, 12:43:28 AM »

Thanks Glenn and Nicko......You may be right, as the car DOES have a HR Disc front end fitted.

Does the HR diff just bolt onto the FC's or do they need a bit of adjusting and re-welding of the spring plates, as mine seems too neat to be done by a previous owner and not the factory if you know what  mean....then again, this car never stops surprising me.

Thanks heaps, as I can now order brake parts for it with some sort of confidence.

I have spoken to a auto / diff shop, who have advised they'll pull my diff apart, put in an LSD (3.08) and fit fine spline axles....this should beef up the strength of the old Banjo, without going to the expense of getting a Borg Warner or Volvo unit converted over.

It's not like I'm running a V8...and besides....didn't some old holden V8's run Banjo's anyway ?

Thanks again !

FC-V8

Model: FC

Not enough hours in the day

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2004, 01:24:16 AM »

Mark
       From memory the HR diff does fit straight in other than adaptors for the different thread on the brake lines & a change to the way that the handbrake cables mount to the body.
This again is from memory so i could be wrong but i am pretty sure that a certain type might be (x2) of HR premier came out factory with a LSD so might be worth checking yours first you never know.
Glenn

What it to rev ? install a CHEV !
0401-065-201
Sarge
Guru

My 57 & Old No 7 all a Man Need's

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2004, 10:43:20 AM »

Mark
      Glen is right the brake lines are a differant size & the handbrake mounts up to the body differantly. By the sounds of what you have written I would say that you have a HR diff centre and housing. Mainly going by way of the spring mounting.

regards
Sarge

Mark Lees Tallerbudgera Queensland
        0421 165 351
Holden Classics; a BREED above the rest
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: