FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:07:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Army FC Standard - For Ken  (Read 11068 times)
nigelb42

View Profile
« on: May 12, 2004, 03:00:50 AM »

G'day all,

I went over to the museum on the barracks where I work because I had a feeling that they were displaying an FE or FC.  It ended up being an FC standard sedan painted in gloss Olive paint, with a dark brown saddle coloured interior.  Even the engine was no longer a 'grey' but a 'green'.  I took some photos, but starphoto is very painful   Angry so I will need to find another way to display them.  ID plate was as follows:

BODY - FC/215 - 4918M
TRIM - 81 - 766
PAINT - 253 - 5296
INSERT - ...........
TOP - ..............

I couldn't see the chassis number and I didn't think I would be allowed back if I started hacking at the inner guard with my pocket knife  Roll Eyes.  The car is in an unrestored condition but is in reasonable nick and I guess the museum staff have other priorities at the moment. At least it is undercover and in a moisture free environment.

Nige
craiga
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2004, 05:19:57 AM »

Nige,

There has been previous discussion about this car http://www.fefcholden.org.au/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=otherimg;action=display;num=1061179949;start=0

However it would be great to see the photos you took, and if you are so close to the museum, really interesting to find out about the history of the car.

Cheers,

Craig.
nigelb42

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2004, 07:21:29 AM »

Bugger !

Here I was thinking I had a 'scoop' forgot Peter lived nearby  Grin.  The photos he took are much the same as mine although I will try to post the engine bay picture.  I wonder how many of these cars the Army had and where they are now?  The plate seemed unusual too, do you reckon they were pre-ordered from GMH as a limited build?  I know that Defence no longer paints its general use vehicles green due to the resale value issues (imagine a whole fleet of olive drab VY dunnydores and F*#ds Sad).
When I first started my apprenticship in 1987 our training aids were HQs and HJs and they were all painted green.
Also I will talk to the curator as he has been around the area and the Army for years, he may have some history or photos.

Nige
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2004, 10:45:53 AM »

there was an Army guy who was in our group of friends and he said the Puckapunual (not sure of spelling) base had huge underground storage with old FJ and FE-FC's down there with plastic still on the seats and trims that were never used or sold off along with hundreds of other cars and bikes,we told him he was full of sh*t but he swore it was true,over the next 10 years i heard the same thing mentioned by other people i met who were ex army but i have never seen any proof.

RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2004, 11:44:08 PM »

These vehicles were indeed built by GM-H as special order vehicles, like Yellow Cabs, Postie Vans and other unusual varieties.

Although information on FE/FC army vehicles appears to be scarce, Don Loffler has amassed quite a bit of information about the 48 and FJ Army sedans and utes in his FJ Holden book.  This has been mentioned in the link CraigA provided, so I won't repeat it here.

The Trim Code on that vehicle will actually read S1, not 81.  S1 is the exterior trim code for single-tone "Deep Bronze Green", the army colour.  The paint code 5296 matches this (that's the BALM code for Deep Bronze Green).  The S prefixed Exterior Trim Code is the identifier of factory purpose built vehicles.

Hope that helps.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
nigelb42

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2004, 02:04:28 AM »

Nicko,

The old 'huge underground' storage myth comes up every once in a while here too.  Apparently there is a heap of brand new Harley Davidson motor bikes, all in crates, buried under the footy oval - you know the old WW2 type - When I was a young apprentice, me and some mates always had cunning plans to hire metal detectors and dig up the oval  Grin.  

RET,

I thought it was an 'S' but I also thought the old stamper guy might have had a bad day and not stamped hard enough..... :-/

Nige
craiga
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2004, 02:23:49 AM »

Hey Nige, I've got my spade out and have given it a sharpen, when do we start digging?  Grin

These types of stories are fantastic, and really not impossible. What would you do with a large surplus of motorbikes at the end of the war anyway? Especially ones way in the country? Sure you could auction or sell off a few locally, but the cost of shipping them back to a major city may not have been worth the effort. And anyone who has worked in a government department, especially one as big as the Armed Forces, would know the type of waste that happens. Pretty easy to "lose" a few old cars here and there.

Great stuff.

Cheers,

Craig.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2004, 02:34:35 AM by craiga » Logged
Digger

Classic not Plastic

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2004, 05:00:36 AM »

Hey Nicko,

I have a nephew that works as a storeman in despatch at Puka, I will talk to him and see if he can find somthing out about the mith of old cars stored on the camp.

My old man often talks about the army burying  a heap of BSA and Harley motor bikes along with Mack trucks and a lot of cars at the old Army camp in Echuca  Vic just after the War, he recons that some pits where dug up some time ago and they did uncover some vehicles.
The Echuca base was the main despatch site for Army vehicles during the war, so Im told.

Steve
nigelb42

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2004, 07:11:34 AM »

The other one that I have heard lots of is that there is a heap of Wirraway and Spitfire fighters buried up near Woomera.  The story goes that they buried them up there during the war when it was thought the Japanese may land up North.  The desert air was 'sposed to be the best preservative around. Of course no one has ever found them  Wink - apparently.

Now if I could find one or two of them I could finance the FE project no worries  Cheesy.

I reckon I might just buy me a Pith helmet, a safari suit, a little spade and a monacle and cruise on down to Pucka and start nosing around  Grin  anyone want to be a faithful assistant?

Nige
v8 wagon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2004, 10:38:30 AM »

My father was at Puka between 1956 and 1959, in the engineers, he knows nothing about this, and would have been involved in any works on the grounds during this time.

My uncle was also there as a quartermaster, and I can asure you if it was possible to "lose" a vehicle, he would have found a way.
Shayne
qld-club

Model: FE and FC

Just Cruisin'

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2004, 09:24:51 PM »

Every Army & Air Force base in Australia has rumours about buried treasure.  A lot of money and time has already been wasted on these urban myths.

Old Holdens Never Die Because Fools Like Me Keep Them Going
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2004, 06:00:02 AM »

Shayne
There is a treasure to be found under the dog kennels at the base in Richmond, althought it is not a treasure of cars just crappy old aircraft parts.

Jim

Forgiveness is easier than permission.
nigelb42

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2004, 12:35:55 PM »

Howdy

Here is the engine bay shot

Nige

http://img67.photobucket.com/albums/v204/nigelb42/Army%20FE/MVC-283F.jpg
nigelb42

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2004, 12:47:02 PM »

B*%%dy Hell !!!

I am a dead set computer idiot !!  Embarrassed

How the H*%ll do I link to Photobucket without the entire world being able to change my user options etc?  At the mo I can only seem to link to one picture at a time unless I do this.......

http://img67.photobucket.com/albums/v204/nigelb42/Army%20FE/MVC-281F.jpg
http://img67.photobucket.com/albums/v204/nigelb42/Army%20FE/MVC-282F.jpg

http://img67.photobucket.com/albums/v204/nigelb42/Army%20FE/MVC-284F.jpg

I know this is off thread, but I was looking at Utey's great wagon pics, registered with photobucket, and when I tried to link my pictures, my link screen ends up totally different to his as my thumbnail pics have the 'move' 'edit' and 'delete' buttons showing.  PLUS all and sundry seem to be able to access my account details (or is this only because its ME looking at MY account through the link?)

Thanks

Nige
HARKO
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2004, 12:55:57 PM »

Cheers Nige dont stress buddie - alls absolutely fine from this end  Smiley
Great shots too mate ,love it.
-KIWI-

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2004, 05:13:15 PM »

in tunnels under queen st in auckland city you will find old chevs and fords still wrapped in plastic im told and i f dig up at north head at the devonport navelbase thats were the nz air force buried there planes im told but if you go to the wreckers at horitu just out of hamilton ther actually are old planes etc left over after the war they were parked up in lines and just left pretty sad condition now but must find out where the nz navy buried the excess ships we didnt use  Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
Emu

Emu's Ashes pic - Aussies 5-0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2004, 07:29:21 PM »

So that's why there's no NZ Air Force.

They buried all their planes!!
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2004, 12:09:30 AM »

Nige,  I would be very keen to see a photo of the firewall area under the ID plate.  This area on my car has been all welded up and this is where the wireless holes and such were drilled.  Just trying to find what's original.
Also would you have any idea of the banner used on the front of the cars signifying the battalian or whatever?
Any help would be appreciated.

Ken
-KIWI-

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2004, 12:16:14 AM »

yep thats why kiwis dont fly emu but
WHY DONT EMUS FLY THEN HuhHuhHuhHuh

KIWI -BIRD THAT MAY FLY
nigelb42

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2004, 03:38:02 AM »

Ken,

Will head over there again Monday and take some more pics.  As for the banner, its known as a TAC plate (or they are now days anyway)and as you said it used to signify the unit or command that the car belonged to.  The FC in the museum didnt have a tac plate but there are heaps of photo albums etc I will have a squiz through them.

Nige
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: