FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 07, 2024, 01:26:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Another newbie  (Read 3541 times)
Dewse

View Profile
« on: March 14, 2008, 02:09:16 PM »

Hi guys,

Just popping in to say hi. Recently i became the owner of an FC wagon. For what ever reason i was drawn in by old car's and the culture surrounding it. When a friend introduced me to Mark Bone, they both decidered that a wagon would be my thiing and they set off looking.. So as you see it wasn't me drooling over an FC that made me buy one, rather these guys choosing my fate for me. And all i can say is i have no regretts for trusting them to produce the goods. I can't begin to explain what that first drive was like, and consequently very drive after. Something special i think you guys can relate to. Anyway, I brought the car on first site and was pretty happy with the price. The drive home was great, but an overheating issue became apparent when i pulled into the servo at the end of the freeway.. It was a hot day, and the car had a red 202.. On further inspection the cause for the over heating was revealed to be a stock rotten FC radiator. That would have to be upgraded. The first weekend I owned the car saw me driving to Narragin.. with same radiator. I guess half tohe point of owning an old car is to just leave all the care at home and hit the road with some mates.. and thats what i did. Knowing the Radiator had issues there was no question that i would be driving at night and probably putting a fair bit of water through it. All the same the trip was awesome fun, and fortunately pretty uneventful...

The following weeks I had the booster rebuilt at Mandurah performance which made a huge differencem, as the vacuum had been previously disconected. Then I takled the Radiator. I didn't have much money fo I found a 98 magna Radiator and custom fit it in.. It was a bad idea but it was free... I could only fit the smaller thermo fan in and I had no chance of keeping the stock motor fan. (Though it had been flattened when the 202 was installed to make room so was pretty ineffective at any rate.) To fit the rad i had to lay it over some, and trim out the front sheet metal... At the same time i threw a spitfire temp gauge i had lying around from a previous project, just so i could see what sort of temps i was getting. Driving around for short trips it was great holding 90 - 95, long trips it would creap up to 100 depending if i put some boot into it. But my biggest problem and you guys would already know, was sitting at the lights waiting for traffic.. The mod wasn't the best but it did keep some coin in my pocket for a little while.

Anyway, three months after buying it and driving it around every spare minute of the day I decided to move to Darwin for a working holiday. A decition which I had been putting off. I decided to leave the car at home for a while just so i could go away, save some money and hopefully get into it when i get back. Given that mandurah is so close to the coast and that the car is riddled with rust I called my old man in Kelmscott and asked him for a little shed space. Knowing full well that i would be keeping him busy cutting rust out Wink. he agree'd so i raced down to Mark and brought a new/old tail gate with minor rust.. packed the car and dropped it off with the instructions to "tinker on the tail gate, and see how you go cutting the rust out". Being a retired welder I felt reassured he wouldn't stuff up to badly.

Anyway, so that where I got to, and I've been in Darwin for a month. Think about what i could be doing to the car everyday... But like i've said, money is tight at the moment so I'm practicing a little pactience.

Well i hope i didn't bore you, and i'll be sure to be using this Forum like a bible.

Thanks

Matt

The day i picked it up. Sorry the photo is bad quality. Don't be fooled by the repaint, she has plenty of rust.
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 02:16:41 PM »

Matt
Welcome aboard, hope to see you on the road some day and maybe even in the WA club for a run or two.

Cheers Jim

Forgiveness is easier than permission.
Dewse

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 02:59:17 PM »

Thanks mate..

I did intend on joining the club, but timing is difficult at the moment. Look forward to cruizing the coast with ya some day.. or similar  Wink
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 03:23:24 PM »

Hi Mat and welcome to or FE FC Family The Wagon looks good and don't worry about a bit of rust most start that way. The end result and what goes with it is well worth the effort.......FC427.......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
Dewse

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 03:33:01 PM »

Yeah mate i didn't mind the rust, but unfortunately once i started driving it around a bit my pride did. I'm not concerned because it's a great way to learn a few tricks off the old boy.

Loving this site for useful information, it's great.
pedro
qld-club
Guru

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 10:37:21 AM »

I think i may be biased and this may be controversial, but i believe the FC wagon is the best looking of all the holden wagons.
                                 Pedro

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 11:13:09 AM »

I think i may be biased and this may be controversial, but i believe the FC wagon is the best looking of all the holden wagons.
                                 Pedro

controversy all right! you meant FE wagon didn't you?

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Dewse

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 12:38:26 PM »

controversy all right! you meant FE wagon didn't you?

Cheers

Ed

Chrome gets you home...... So FC

Haha, no really they are both awesome cars... Sorry to everyone who hasn't got one. Smiley
pedro
qld-club
Guru

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 01:55:02 PM »

Whoops wasn,t thinking shoud've said FE/FC but Same meat different gravy, it's the body shape, the curves, the chrome,ah stuff it i just dig FE/FC holdens of any type.(but i prefer wagons, probably because i mispent most of my youth in an FC shaggin wagon)

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: