FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 14, 2024, 06:23:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Yesterday at 08:23:24 PM 
Started by ardiesse - Last post by ardiesse
Brett,

Buying your motor would be the sensible option, but I like the idea of building something up out of discarded parts.

Rob

on: Yesterday at 04:39:43 PM 
Started by ardiesse - Last post by Brett027
Sounds like you have it well covered Rob. I am starting to feel the need to move my EK engine on which has everything you are thinking about.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Tapatalk

on: May 12, 2024, 08:58:45 PM 
Brett,

Down in the dungeon I have a well-used Repco Special Sports 3-3/16"-bore B-series motor which I got from Stan Bennett.  It might have been his speedway car tow vehicle's motor.  The head's been ported and had red motor valves fitted.  It could do with new valves, guides, rings, bearings and a balance (I have a lightened flywheel to suit) plus a reground cam, as I think it's running a stock cam at the moment.  It'll give me something to play with.

Rob

on: May 12, 2024, 08:36:06 PM 
Started by ardiesse - Last post by Harv
Factory preparation for the Armstrong 500, or perhaps Jack Davey's work for a round-Australia trial(*) sound plausible, but my favourite would have to be Repco upgrade.  Wasn't it Lou Kingsley who had a Repco-headed FE, and used to tow his caravan between meetings with his race car?

I think Lou’s crossflow tow car was an FC wagon.

Hunting down a Repco head and then prepping it for abuse has given me one heck of an education in patience.

Cheers,
Harv

on: May 12, 2024, 08:01:18 PM 
Started by ardiesse - Last post by Brett027
Have you got a motor in mind Rob?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

on: May 12, 2024, 12:35:11 PM 
Factory preparation for the Armstrong 500, or perhaps Jack Davey's work for a round-Australia trial(*) sound plausible, but my favourite would have to be Repco upgrade.  Wasn't it Lou Kingsley who had a Repco-headed FE, and used to tow his caravan between meetings with his race car? (**)

Finding a Repco head might be a challenge, though.  For the moment I'll be satisfied with a 3-3/16"-bore motor, worked-up Holden head, twin Strombergs, headers and some work in the camshaft department . . .

* "Dust and Glory" by Evan Green.  A retelling of the Australian section of the 1968 London-Sydney marathon, but set in the late 50s.

** Rumour has it that Lou, for laughs, used to take his FE to an unsuspecting garage, whereupon the young apprentice mechanic would say,"it's not idling that well," take the car for a blat down the road and come back ashen-faced.

Rob

on: May 12, 2024, 09:11:41 AM 
Started by ardiesse - Last post by Harv
Aa-and -  Here's the rear shock crossmember, welded in place:

It almost looks original.

Now all we need to do is work out which rumour to nurture, ready for when someone finds this in 30 years.  Grin
Premier prototype?
Factory preparations for the Armstrong 500?
Gelignite Jack's work for the Ampol Round Australia Trial?
Repco upgrade as part of the crossflow head offerings?
Warren Armour's modification for Castlereigh?

Cheers,
Harv

on: May 11, 2024, 08:56:42 PM 
Started by ardiesse - Last post by Errol62
Nice work Rob!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

on: May 11, 2024, 11:26:06 AM 
Aa-and -  Here's the rear shock crossmember, welded in place:

It almost looks original.  Enough so it won't attract attention, come blue-slip time.

I discovered (because of rain) that I can work in the carport with the body shell raised enough so I can get underneath it.  As long as I don't try to rotate the shell.  Don't want crease marks in the roof.

Rob

on: May 11, 2024, 10:37:31 AM 
Started by njf690 - Last post by njf690
GUYS

HAVING TO CHANGE OUT ENGINE MOUNTS , I HAD THEM DONE CUSTOM I BELIEVE WONT KNOW TIL I PULL THEM OUT. ANY SUGGESTIONS ON NEW ONES THAT FIT STRAIGHT UP , ALL SUMP , STEERING RACK ARE DONE CURRENTLY A DAILY DRIVER .

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10