FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:44:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Changing to a 3 speed auto (and a couple of other questions).  (Read 9383 times)
amys

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: February 19, 2011, 08:03:24 PM »

Advice please,
I would like to change my wagon transmission from a celica 5 speed to a 3 speed (column shift) auto. Mainly so I can accomodate a bench seat, but also to make driving a bit easier. Has anyone got any recommendations?
Also, Effie has a HR front end and I would also like to put in power steering. I have been told by the local power steering place that it could be done but sourcing the parts may be the hard part.... has anyone done this?
Thanks, all advice/recommendations are greatly appreciated.

P.S Best place to get new carpet for a wagon in Melbourne?
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 10:12:33 PM »

Advice please,
I would like to change my wagon transmission from a celica 5 speed to a 3 speed (column shift) auto. Mainly so I can accomodate a bench seat, but also to make driving a bit easier. Has anyone got any recommendations?

To change the car from a Celica 5 speed to a 3 speed auto is not terribly difficult as you have a Red Motor fitted to your car. You will need to source a suitable trimatic transmission, tailshaft yoke and may need to have a tailshaft made to suit (approx $130-160) you will also need to try and obtain the transmission cooler lines with the transmission, with the clips that attach to the engine, to run the piping to the front of the car for the transmission oil cooler. Alternatively you can mount transmission coolers underneath the car, however I am not a fan of these, although this is purely personal opinion. You will need to fabricate or have fabricated a rear transmisson mount to replace the rear mount for the celica box, but as you have a chassis kit fitted to your car this will be relatively easy. Given that there also has previously been an aussie 4 speed fitted to your wagon, there shouldn't be any problems with transmission tunnel clearance. Obviously you will need to have the hole in the floor from the gearshift welded up. (This is preferable to having a plate screwed onto the floor with silicon to seal it)

You will also need to change the steering column as you will have to fit a column from a an EK, EJ or EH that had a Hydromatic fitted. Here comes the tricky part, as the Hydramatic shift pattern is different to the Trimatic. (You could fit a Hydramatic, they are a three speed auto, but they really are an obsolete gearbox) I would suggest the use of a cable to change gears, you would then need to change your selector gate to reflect the new positions, so that you cannot change from "D" into "R" or (and vice versa) or out of "P"without operating the gear selector through the gate. you would also need to change the markings on your prindle (PRNDL) to suit the Trimatic.

Also, Effie has a HR front end and I would also like to put in power steering. I have been told by the local power steering place that it could be done but sourcing the parts may be the hard part.... has anyone done this?
Thanks, all advice/recommendations are greatly appreciated.

HR Holdens did have optional power steering, however they are really scarce to find, and sourcing replacement parts for them is harder still, essentially you can use any pump and bracket set up from a red motor, have the lines fabricated, but the scarcity of the problem lies within the draglink and power ram. They had a unique draglink to connect a power ram to which is where the power assistance came from. This is the issue, to have one made and to have power ram made would be quite expensive.

I don't know of anyone that has modified any power steering racks to suit.

P.S Best place to get new carpet for a wagon in Melbourne?

Your carpet has been made br a trimmer, you may have to go to a trimmer to have the carpet matched in your car. Stinky, the resident forum trimmer, may be able to provide further advice.

Hope this helps

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 10:20:49 PM »

I used a Trimatic in mine & started with an EJ auto column. The shift levers, the lockout & the prindle all had to be customised to work and I fitted a neutral safety switch from a HG. The shift pattern was backwards to normal (ie park was down) but that was OK.
You should be able to make a new crossmember to replace the Celica one to mount the rear of the gearbox and will probably have to get a new tailshaft made as well. You need to use a speedo cable from a Trimatic Torana or HG once again.

Yes HR power steering parts are very hard to find and very expensive. If you are keeping the steering box setup in your car there really is no other way to do it.

Ken
amys

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 01:42:39 PM »

Thanks Keith and Ken,
Wow Keith, thanks heaps you have been very thorough!! Think I'm going to have to rule out power steering and just build up my arm muscles instead!
FE 4 ME
qld-club

Model: FE

"A Sweet Sensation"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 02:15:06 PM »

Ken,
   ive got the same auto gearbox (trimatic) set up as you have, i have the EJ Column (yet to install... but do i need to mod it  or it bolts straight into my HR front end ? ) and standard linkages by the looks of it, you tell that you needed to customise some bits, who did them or how hard are they to get done or do yourself ? also did you use cable linkages or Fab some up ? or a different hand brake cable set up ? what are the pitfalls i need to be concerned about ? what is my best plan of attack in your experience Huh?

A lot of questions i understand, but it means less head scratching, and its best to respect other ppl's experience and wisdom  Roll Eyes

cheers Mr Guru ( AKA Ken )

FE 4 ME

$$$ Parts Catalogue 1948-1969 for sale ONLY $15 $$ all Money goes to the FE/FC Club QLD PM Me to get this great Catalogue
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 09:45:30 PM »

Column itself is stock - I actually attached it to a FC steering box by using the EJ worm race and the FC sector - It worked perfectly. However the EJ box can be modded a little bit by filing out the bolt holes to make it fit the FC subframe.
The HR drag link all fits up well - don't use the original FC draglinks
I used a Torana gear linkage rod that was originally with the Trimatic and modified it to suit the position of the FC steering box.
The Prindle started as a HR unit which I cut up and redid all the gear positions
The lockout is half EJ and half Torana - once again custom made to suit.
The handbrake centre pivot is from a HG and the cable is a combination of FC front, a custom made extension and a modified HR rear cable.

The neutral safety switch is from a Torana as well I think.
I did all the work myself - this is all very fiddly stuff and can cost quite a lot of money if you pay someone to do it who has never done anything like this before.

Ken
FE 4 ME
qld-club

"A Sweet Sensation"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 10:44:57 PM »

Thankx Ken..... i will read and re-read your instructions/advise plus study your pics in great detail...thankx Ken once again for your help

was this the 1st time you had done this ?

do you mind when i get up to doing this trimatic project if a call upon you for more answers please ? as i will be trying to do this on my own

Cheers

FE 4 ME

$$$ Parts Catalogue 1948-1969 for sale ONLY $15 $$ all Money goes to the FE/FC Club QLD PM Me to get this great Catalogue
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 09:07:01 PM »
+1

I've been playing with FE's and FC's for over 30 years, plus I did a stint at Hoppers Stoppers for a few years engineering hot rods, so it would be fair to say that I have done this before Roll Eyes

Ken
Old_Mt_Isa_Boy
qld-club

My Ute

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 09:09:25 PM »

The 5 Stars Guru Rating and  3705 Posts is a dead giveaway. Wink
FE 4 ME
qld-club

"A Sweet Sensation"

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 11:53:42 PM »

That's why i call him "the Guru " i hope at some stage Ken it would be ok to call you (via phone ) when some of my project is under full construction, you sure know the in's and out's and all about most of what's to be done and said to all FE and FE's on here

thankx once again your your valuable wisdom

FE 4 ME

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: