FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 12, 2024, 10:31:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Front oil seal (Crankshaft)  (Read 2720 times)
BrendanC

Goin Grey

View Profile
« on: July 09, 2002, 06:19:23 AM »

Hi all,
Can anyone help with info on the front main oil seal that fits into the timing gear cover and seals on the crank.(Grey motor)
The seal I pulled out has a metal outer and is about 13mm deep. The only seal I could find was a rubber coated one which is about 9mm deep. The metal one must be an original as it has HOLDEN on it and 7426199.
I got the new seal from a bearing supplies for $2.50. I guess the new thin seal will be ok, it will just sit flush with the timing gear cover instead of protruding out a few mm.
Does this sound correct to anyone? I dont want to put this seal in only to find its not right!
Thanks... Huh
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2002, 06:43:59 AM »

Modern seal technology means that what used to be really thick & chunky is now very small  Cheesy
As long as the new seal fits snugly in the timing cover and the inner dimension fits neatly on the balancer all will be well,  use some gasket goo on the seal where it fits into the timing cover, just to stop any small leaks which may get through.
Also make sure the surfsce on the balancer is not scored or the new seal will not last long.

Ken
BrendanC

Goin Grey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2002, 07:37:54 PM »

Thanks Ken, I was hoping that was the case.
I hope my car will be on the road in the next few months. I have put in the sills I got from you a few months ago and the car is now being painted. I hope to join in a few club runs once the old girl is up and running.
Chow... Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: