FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 13, 2024, 02:29:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: breaking systems  (Read 6171 times)
ekdave1962

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« on: November 25, 2010, 02:55:21 PM »

hi guys im actually a EK owner but thought i pop over to this fantastic forum and ask a question im currently running a hr front end with hr disks and hq master with VH 44 booster ..

i was looking at doing a up grade in braking as i have a set of VN commo brakes i 1 st looked at drop axles to suit the HR front and commodore set up , as i also wanted to lower car slightly ..

but noticed that HQ stubs fit and give a 20 mm lower ride so was considering that as an option with a adapter to suit the VN discs and calipers ..

so my question is will this work and who supplies the adapter plates ? hoppers stoppers ?
id like to move up to commo stud pattern as well to suit the larger disc's
is there an off the shelf hub to fit HQ to VN ?

Thanks David
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 09:11:33 PM »

There are a lot of questions in this post
Firstly VH 44 booster is wrong for your car - you should have a VH 40.
The dropped stub from CRS is set up to run Commodore brakes as one of the options, however the Commo brakes wont bolt onto a HQ stub axle.
One of the guys on this forum was making adaptor plates to suit VN one piece hub/rotors, H/S do not make this kit.
VN is a one piece hub and rotor - there is no separate hub.  Hoppers Stoppers make a hub to fit later slip on style rotors but its not as easy as you think to get the offsets right for rotors and calipers to match together.

Ken
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 09:18:19 PM by mcl1959 » Logged
ekdave1962

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 12:18:33 AM »

hi Ken, thanks for your reply your right actually it is a vh40 that i have ..
CRS are not supply drop splines atm ..
there is another mob doing them $750 a set .

i Guess in asking is the mod to commo VN brakes worth the effort as I'm not sure if they offer much better brake performance ..
would i be better off with HQ stubs cheap and give me 20 mm drop and then getting different brakes to suit that stub ?
or just stick with HR brakes and hack a little off the springs .. ? (not want i really want) .

D
ratbox

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 09:40:05 AM »

why not just buy HQ stubs, rotors and callipers and bolt the whole lot on i don't think there'de be a great deal of differance in braking performance between HQ discs and standard early commodore, unless you are specifically after commodore stud pattern and offset
don't think it'll hurt knocking a touch off the springs Wink
ekdave1962

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 11:25:42 AM »

hey there RB .. yeah that maybe the case and i guess that the answer I'm looking for is there much to be gained but changing from Hr to HQ or Vn .. although i wouldn't mind Vn stud pattern as I'm have a shortened diff from vn in progress ..

D
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 07:18:02 PM »

Best of both worlds. Hoppers Stoppers can supply new HQ rotors drilled and studded in Commodore pattern

I'm in agreement - early Commodore are not much better than HQ

Ken
ekdave1962

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 07:14:35 AM »

ok thanks Ken ..

now if you where doing a system for a Hr front end what would you put on it  ?
Hq stubs and a new commo system VX or similar ?
if im going to do it i may as well do it right .
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 09:16:58 AM »
+1

Dave, you've missed the point, there is no "right" answer. Brakes are only there to stop your car, there are many combinations that will work fine and are legal.
Your chosen brake system will depend on the power your car is making, the purpose for the car, the look you want to achieve, the wheel width and rim offset you want, and how much money you want to spend.
Makes no difference what I want - I only offer suggestions to help people make there own mind up.

Ken
smudge

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 03:16:22 PM »

Has anyone fitted the big brake kits off ebay? They claim a commy stud pattern later model disks and calipers on a hq- wb stub axle.Bit interested to go this way with my own project but would like to here some feed back or advise first. Smudge.
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 04:16:04 PM »

Doing it now the ve to vs upgrade but they dont tell you you have to run ve rims as the old style commodore rims (im using walkinshaw) are way to close to the disc and you cannot get the calliper on without it hitting?HuhHuh

smudge

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 07:16:56 PM »

Which steering arms are you using? Front or rear mount rack? And does everything else fit up without clearance issues?Whats the quality of the kit like? Thanks Smudge.
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 08:41:54 PM »

Ahh sorry im using a pat gardener front end with VS hubs probably should have told you that..

Think it might be a different kit mine are 300mm rotors post the ebay link..

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: