FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 28, 2024, 10:21:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Californians, Detroits, etc - anything on EKs?  (Read 8394 times)
Michael_Ryan

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2006, 04:50:18 AM »

Hi to all FE - FC fans,
I'm seeking more info on the Detroit, Californian, etc. trims that were applied to FEs & FCs. Can anyone confirm what options were available, was it just a different body stripe, or was the interior up-spec'd as well? What other ones were there apart from Californian and Detroit? I've heard of Floridas - did they exist???  Finally - and I know this is a little off the topic - does anyone know if similar options were available on EK Holdens? Some info or a direction to someone who does would be appreciated. Thanks.
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 06:04:26 AM »

Michael,

The trim kits were manufactured by a company called "Tilli", who had offices in Melbourne and Adelaide.  Hence the name "Tilli's Kit" or "Tilli's Stripe".  They weren't made or sold by GM-H, they were an aftermarket accessory only.  Having said that, plenty of them were fitted by Holden Dealers as a way of tarting up vehicles to sell them (which is also why they are sometimes known as "dealer stripes").  Tilli also made kits to suit other makes and models, such as VW Beetle, for example.

The kits consisted of stainless trim pieces and clips to hold them on, plus instructions and a measuring stick that was used as a template to mark the holes out on the body before firing up the drill.  A kit like the "Detroit" can require up to 200 holes, so you'd want to make sure you measured twice and drilled once, as it were. Shocked

Accessories for dressing up the interior are another matter entirely, and unrelated to Tilli's kits, as should be obvious from what I've written above.  There were plenty of these available as NASCO accessories as well as items made by other companies.

FE Kits included:
- Detroit
- Dart
- Victoria
- Victoria Twinline

FC Kits included:
- Crestline
- Florida
- Styletone
- Styletone Capri

... and more that I can't think of OTTOMH.

They most certainly were available for FB and EK models, and in fact there were a couple designed for utes and vans that were retrofitted to FE/FC.  Amongst others, there were Miami, Californian, Flashline and Hollywood designs (these last two were used on the Trax EK 40th Anniversary boxed set).  I'm sure there were more, but that's all I can think of.  I'll dig out the catalogue and have a look.  It would also be worth asking on the FB-EK forum.

Hope all that is some help.

cheers
RET
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 06:07:01 AM by ret » Logged

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 07:56:05 AM »

It appears that about 1960 through to 1965 were about the most popular years for Tilli and Thornton stripe kits. My catalogue lists the following for FB/EK
Californian
Modern Special
Arrow Look
Sraightline
Modernline
Starline
Hollywood
Newline
Miami
Ambassador
Flashline
Also available from Tilli were Sun visors, weather shields, door & guard mirrors, fender shields, heaters, mud flaps, dust deflectors, wheel trim rings, white walls and venetians.  All of different design to the Nasco range put out by GMH

Ken
Michael_Ryan

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 09:09:46 PM »

Thanks to Ken for info on the Tilli's kits. Does anyone have any images of these kits and the various other Tilli aftermarket goodies? Would like to see a copy of their catalogue if possible. Thanks
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 10:25:02 PM »

Don't mention it Roll Eyes

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 01:25:57 AM »

here is a picture of our fc sedan (slightly photoshopped) fitted with a tilli kit, Ken or RET exactly what kit is it?

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

in a rural car crash they are " Hold my stubby and watch this for skill!"
TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 01:35:39 AM »

EK's fitted with 'Flashline kits'

« Last Edit: May 27, 2006, 01:39:39 AM by torquefc » Logged

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2006, 01:41:12 AM »

EK standard fitted with 'Special look' trim kit.

TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2006, 01:42:49 AM »

Ek fitted with 'Jetstream' Flash kit

earlyholdenfan

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2006, 05:35:44 AM »

Hey Torque, there seems to be some conjuncture on the correct naming of the "Flashline Kit" I have been pulled up on another forum, saying that they are a "Fineline Kit" not Flashline

Can anyone confirm either way?
Maybe I am looking for the wrong thing! Wink
Matt
COL58FE

FE225

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2006, 05:51:48 AM »

wow,
       look's like the valiant  in the back ground
of the second ek pic got hit up by tilli's too  Grin.
nice pic's too glenn.
                       col. Wink
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2006, 05:56:26 AM »

Matt,

It is definitely "Flashline" - you'll note it's referred to as such on the Trax model.  The Tilli catalogue has nothing like "Fineline": plenty of other "lines", but not that one.

Torque,

The one you've called "Special Look" appears to be a "Modernline Special" as near as I can tell.

cheers
RET

4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2006, 08:03:26 AM »

Hi.
Torque is right. Flashline (Tilli products) for the top 3 pics. Haven't heard of fineline. There is a "Finnline", but that is for a Zephyr.

The pink Standard belongs to Tim Bree, from the FB EK Car club of QLD. I think the green one is his brothers...or some relation. Contact him, he is the number one FB EK Flash Kit Guru. I assure you of that. Tell him 4hammers said G'day.
I am quite sure he referred to it as a "Hollywood", but a few of them are so similar & also, take into account, you could chop & change bits if you liked, they could be half & half.

Col, as for the Valiant having a Tilli kit, I have one for the same model, which is the prettiest kit I haave ever seen. Was on a black Val. Sweet.

Rob J

« Last Edit: May 27, 2006, 08:04:54 AM by 4hammers » Logged

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2006, 12:40:36 PM »

Here's a couple of flashy EK's.

Regards
Alex

TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2006, 05:02:38 AM »

Alex,
      Great pics. Just thought i would add though, that last one isnt an original Tilli kit, but has been made out of original ek mouldings. Roger (Huh) from the fb ek club here in vic spent many hours making those pieces 'work'. Gotta admit though, it has come up pretty sweet Cool Cool

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: