FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 03, 2024, 11:34:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: HELPER SPRINGS ???  (Read 5988 times)
Blown_FC

FC Holdens & Mini Coopers....Cars of the Century

View Profile
« on: April 10, 2006, 10:04:11 PM »

Can anyone please help me with HELPER SPRINGS.

My rear springs are set a bit low and I need to pick it up a bit and help enforce it a bit.

So, can anyone help me with what to get, where from, and how good they are.....my alternative is to fit air shocks !

Cheers

Mark
craiga
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 10:28:07 PM »

Mark,

Have you thought about using station sedan springs? The extra leaf might give you the height you need.

Cheers,

Craig.
TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 10:29:22 PM »

dont really know about them, but dont go air shocks.....it will ride like crap!

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

in a rural car crash they are " Hold my stubby and watch this for skill!"
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 10:43:05 PM »

I think your after uplifting springs. These used to be available from Caravan places. Not sure if you can still get them.
Cheers,
Graham
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 10:55:10 PM »

Mark, is the car too low or too "springy"?
I had a new set of leaf springs made up by the local spring manufacturer. Extra leaf as per station sedan and 2" lower with reversed eyes. Cost $400 in 2004.

Going on your pics compared to mine, standard height springs will leave a gap between the tyre and arch.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 10:59:35 PM by stinky » Logged

Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 11:03:06 PM »

..and shocks are "dampers" they dampen the action of the spring.. ie stop it from bouncing both under "compression" and "rebound".

a pump up air shock to increase lift is pretty temporary although it can be done.  you may find it will blow out a seal under load.

a fun (also frustrating) way to learn about the physics of suspension and its action is to ride a motorcycle.  You will be amazed... well set up suspension on a bike is worth alot more than horsepower.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Blown_FC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 11:14:33 PM »

Ed, I agree about bike suspension.   On a bike, it can save your life !

My Triumph Sprint ST 900 with single sided swingarm just hugged the road, and always kept me upright no matter how careless I was.

BUT back to FC's

Thanks to all those for your input.   I went down to Tyrepower this morning and found a great product which I think will help me.

It's called IRONMAN LOAD PLUS....it's a short angled Helper spring that Ubolts to the top of your existing leaf springs....the more tension you want or need, the mopre you tighten it down.

The company boasts:

20% less Rear End Body Sag
35% improved ride and handling
40% less body roll
20% less brake pitch ( whatever that means ).

They are used mostly on utes, but will fit any leaf spring application.

They told me $135 fitted !

With little or no load, they could tend to lift the car back up again ( just a little though ), but with load, will maintain height.

Thanks again for the info.....but could be on a winner here !

Cheers

mark
BOVAFC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 10:16:53 AM »

Hey Mark they are exactly what ive fitted to my van and they are spot on for me.I got mine 6months ago for $100 and fitted 'em myself ( very simple ) They do ride a bit higher unloaded but are very easy to adjust by tightening/loosening 2 nuts each side.Only takes a minute each side and you still get your spring rate until these "kick in".Before I had to be careful how much juice I put in for weight,now I can fill the tank and the entire back with STUFF and no worries Grin
Blown_FC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 09:42:24 PM »

Thanks BovaFC...that's just what I wanted to hear !

Hopefully I'll have my beast up and running by October, and maybe we can catch up at the Mandurah run ( Mark Bones Wrecking Yard ).

Hoping to make that my first official club run.

Cheers

Mark
BOVAFC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 10:21:04 PM »

Yea Mark your on,hopefully last years "Bones" run wont happen to me again;that is stay up late and get up early detailing to show her off and then as about to leave for the show get bogged to the axle in dry limestone dust/black sand Angry  Angry ,the joys of livin' in the bush ! Saw your pics in other post,lookin'   SWEEEET Cool
Blown_FC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2006, 10:48:34 PM »

aaaAAAAAaaaarrrrrgggghhhhhh !

Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Cry Cry Cry Cry

Brake lines are in  Cheesy
Fuel Lines are in  Cheesy

Helper Springs......well all was going well, until we went to fit the passenger side one......of course, me having a sedan, means that GMH paid $100 000 per year to some design guru to put the spare wheel well in that great location, just an inch or 2 from the rear leaf srpings, meaning no room to fit the u-bolt on the helper spring.

So now I am looking into reversing the rear spring shacklles, to sit low instead of sitting high.

Any thoughts ??
fastjbav6
wa-club

OK start her up !

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2006, 02:20:35 AM »

Hey Mark,
Ever thought of fitting ute or van springs?

Seb

Yellow Knight

Blown_FC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2006, 02:36:10 AM »

Not really...as I'm trying to avoid too much messing around with dissmantling, swapping, fixing, ect ect...plus I spent good money on having these springs hot dipped and recond ect.

Turning the shackles upside down should be a fairly quick and painless excersise and should give me the lift I need with no cost...so I'll try that first.

Failing that, the next cheapest and not so painful option may be air shocks, but I don;t really want to go down that road....so I may have to look at standard height replacement springs van springs with the extra leaf !

Cheers

Mark

PS....on a side not......yesterday was the first day I had it out of the shed in the sunlight.....man, I am so happy....she looks so pretty now !

Thanks for your ideas !

Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: