FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 06:22:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Spray Painting  (Read 7960 times)
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2006, 04:12:59 AM »

I have been using a "pot-under-gun" setup, because it was cheap and I don't paint all that often. I also bought a gravity fed touch up gun yesterday with a view to painting smaller parts, I might even try it on the yet to be repaired tailgate and bonnet.

The dry areas did come up ok after a bit of sanding, but I would prefer the gloss I got in the smaller sections to be all over the car.

TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2006, 09:04:20 AM »

we run 60 psi at the water trap, with a gravity gun and this gives a really nice smoothe finish, with little to no orange peel. gravity guns are the go! i saw a pair at super cheap (i think one was low pressure, for primer filler/putty).

we ordered one from our paint supplier, cost around the $220 mark , i think the brand was devilbliss (or something similar) this is the gun we have been using for the past couple of years. the only problem the gun has ever had is the little breather hole on the top getting clogged from the gun getting put on weird angles to paint things like sills.

hopefully that might help..

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

in a rural car crash they are " Hold my stubby and watch this for skill!"
sgo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2006, 09:05:12 AM »

If your original problem was paint going on very dry, apart from thinners another factor could be that the air temp was too high?
I sprayed once on a 28 deg. day and the paint dried before it hit the job and gave a good sandpaper finish!
Also your spray pattern of 5cm X 2cm doesn't sound right, I would have thought a longer, thinner fan pattern would be better.
300psi also sounds very high.Try using the minimum pressure that still sprays a good pattern. Just keep dropping the pressure and testing till you reach the right point. Too high a pressure just puts paint into the air and less  where you want it!

PS. Don't take anything I've said here as gospel, as it's just some points that I've learnt by trial and error Roll Eyes

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: