FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 17, 2024, 02:48:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: HR crossmember modification for FC  (Read 11574 times)
NES304
Guru

Model: FC

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« on: March 10, 2006, 10:00:08 AM »

Well I finally grabbed an EH Outrigger for the HR crossmember and discarded the old one. lined the holes up and it looked great. just need to weld it now.
See pic
The Engine mounts now need to be removed and welded in the new spot. Any one got tips on the neatest way to do this? Or should I just cut em off and Grab a new set of mounts and use those to weld on? If so where's the best place to grab a good pair? Sorry if they come out too big.

{Edit by RET: not too big any more...}
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 04:10:22 AM by ret » Logged

Effie C

Model: other Holden

Still Lost & Confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 03:26:25 AM »

Rare Spares do a red motor to grey body set of weld in mounts, those pictures definitely need resizing.
Effie C

LIVE LIFE ONE DAY AT A TIME,FOR TOMORROW MAY NEVER COME!

Photo Site:http://img53.photobucket.com/albums/v161/EffieC/
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 10:00:19 AM »

HEY BLOKE (effie C)
Unsure of what you mean by "grey body", its a HR Cross with red mounts and a black 202 will be sitting in there. Thanks for the reply though

NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 10:07:25 AM »

and yes to any one who notices its not the cleanest crossmember so after I paint the body and bay its coming out to be cleaned up with all new rubbers etc

Al
nsw-club

I love FC Ute's!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 11:40:11 AM »

Hi nes138,     Just carefully grind the mounts off close to the xmember and then clean up the daggy bits left over. No need to buy new mounts you can use the original mounts again for the new motor What you do is use the lefthand original mount for the righthand side and the original righthand mount on the lefthand side.   Clear as mud right!!!!!!!!!!!!         Cheers Al                            

See ya
Al
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 07:07:40 AM »

AL
yeah I think i'll have a crack at it and remember to turn the mounts around (clear as mud) If I stuff up or take too much off the mounts I'll grab some more.  so here goes......

NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 03:01:04 AM »

al,
 I grinded the mounts off, however, as I had a 100mm grinder and couldn't get in to the fiddly areas I decided it'd be better to make a mess of the mount and make the crossmember nice and neat. have to track down some mounts now

yogie

Geelong Vic

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2006, 12:17:05 PM »

I thought if you are going to put a re motor in the fc with a hr xcross member, the engine mounts dont need moving ?? I'll be having this conversion soon enough, please can I be told either way and if I nned to move them, how far back or forward. Huh
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 11:01:32 PM »

yeah bloke you need to move em.

Out of interest, any one know where the mounts end up if putting in a V6?

sgo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2006, 03:47:12 AM »

Depends on where you put the engine!
Remove the original mounts all together and fabricate new ones to suit engine position and type of mounts used.

NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2006, 01:59:35 AM »

Hey Bloke (SGO)
             You dont happen to have a photo of where your motor is mounted? I plan on buying a whole donor car and using the mounts from the donor car and weld them to the crossmember. I've already grinded the old mounts off.

Al
nsw-club

I love FC Ute's!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2006, 11:26:39 AM »

Hi nes,    All depends on which gearbox you use if it's the original 3 speed the G/box side mounts will determain were the motor will go but if it's a 4 or 5 speed you put the mounts on the motor, put motor and box in and work out were it fits neatly and properly. Normly between rear of rocker cover and firewall about 2 finger clearance and engine mounts at rear edge of xmember. That way you have enough room to run an engine fan.    Cheers Al

See ya
Al
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2006, 12:56:43 PM »

Thanks al, That's what I thought I would have to do but where do the mounts roughly end up? (T700 4sp auto)

sgo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2006, 10:56:02 PM »

This  pic shows RH side using Commodore mount and LH engine bracket on RH side, with some mod to holes.
(Disregarde dimensions shown as the are not relevant.)

Front-end mount is just flat plate.

NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2006, 10:59:19 PM »

had the father out law round the other day and he still wants me to whack in a 186 just so its runnin.
Cars goin to the panel shop soon to be straightened. then I can get stuck into the paint...

NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2006, 07:28:17 AM »

Well i know i've asked about a million questions on here about the different motors I should use in the FC but now I have finally made a choice, Old grey is the go (my father in law is very very happy bout that!)
I suppose I should start another topic, now that I have no need for the HR crossmember (i have a grey one).
Maybe the v6 can be put in in a few years time.

TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2006, 07:45:14 AM »

you could just weld the fb-ej outrigger onto the hr front end, atleast then youll have some decent brakes Cool

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

in a rural car crash they are " Hold my stubby and watch this for skill!"
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2006, 10:37:32 PM »

yeah thats a thought i'll keep in mind. theres nothing like pulling up safely! but for now i'll use the FC crossmember. the calipers, rotors and rubbers that came with the crossmember aren't exactly the best.

NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2006, 10:39:10 PM »

you could just weld the fb-ej outrigger onto the hr front end, atleast then youll have some decent brakes Cool

and unfortunatley I gave the out rigger to the bloke down the road as part of the deal for buying the 138

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: