FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 07, 2024, 02:29:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What should I look for When buying an FC  (Read 3173 times)
ASUS

FC Fun

View Profile WWW
« on: March 09, 2006, 09:32:40 AM »

Hi,

I'm looking to buy an FC, I've just sold my Honda Jazz and about to look at an FC up towards NCastle.

What should I be looking for to ensure I get a good Car.
Burnsy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 09:50:41 AM »

Welcome to the forum, always good to have a new "fanatic in the making" around Wink

You question is a little like how long is a piece of string.  You need to consider what you want, original or modified, how often you plan to drive it for considerations like disc brakes and seat belts and what your own abilities and budget are.

The big kller is usually rust and if you are not able to do rust repairs yourself, having rust cut out properly and repaired using new steel is usually much more expensive than your run of the mill mechanical repairs.  Rust is often hard to spot to the uninitiated and you really need to have a look at some memebers cars and let them share some experience with you first if you don't want to get burnt.

I would suggest that your first stop should be to attend a local meeting - although I guess you have a bit of a drive from Newcastle or a club event.  That way you can meet some people and they can show you their cars and some points of interest to look out for.

Good luck,

Burnsy

Mike
ASUS

FC Fun

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 10:00:32 AM »

Thanks for the advice, I'm looking at an original FC at present the person is a club member at the Great lakes Historical auto club.  Seems genuine.

Where does the FC rust out. Pans, boot. is there any point in taking a magnet to check over the car.

I have had pictures sent down and it looks Straight, and well maintained.
Burnsy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 10:20:22 AM »

Check pans, base of all pillars, inner and outer sills, front guards, rear wheel wells, under front and rear windscreen surrounds, front air vent and phelem chamber, pretty much everywhere.  

If it is an original car with original paint, rust will be easier to spot.  Magnets are not always reliable as many came off the production line with alot (up to 1/2 inch) of lead over some joints and this is OK but will not hold a magnet.  See this post to see the many places that rust hides and how someone with the right motorvation and skill can deal with it.  

http://www.fefcholden.org.au/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=album;action=display;num=1110636012;start=180
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 10:31:34 AM by Burnsy » Logged

Mike
ASUS

FC Fun

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 10:46:01 AM »

Well that cancer is a scary site. I think I will be talking with some more club members to ensure a smooth ride.

Thanks for your help, If all goes well I will have a good trip, and a sucessful inspection of the car.

I dont suppose you have any ACT FC club contacts would you.

cheers

ASUS
colt
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 10:49:43 AM »

ASUS, we have a club meeting tomorrow (Thursday) night, at Royals club, Weston from 8pm. Just come along,we don't bite very hard.
Colin

colt
ASUS

FC Fun

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 10:55:57 AM »

Thanks, Colin  This is all new and I appreciate any assistance I can get.  I will make a concerted effort to come along.   I'm quite keen to get a good car.

Simon
Wayne
nsw-club
Guru

I Love my FE

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2006, 10:30:50 PM »

Hi ASUS
   Welcome to the site. If you  want any good advice this the place to get that.  There is a lot of  people with a great  knowledge and are always willing to give  advice  on any question you have.
WAYNE
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: