FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 22, 2024, 06:42:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Bent or Rusted  (Read 3244 times)
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« on: February 15, 2006, 06:15:05 AM »

The bonnet on the ute suffered a "fly-open at speed" with the previous owner and is a little bent. The only straight bonnets I have are rusted out at the front.
I would say my options are -

1. Straighten the original

2. Fix the rust in the spare bonnet by cutting good metal from the original bonnet.

Any suggestions? Can a bent bonnet be saved? You can see from the pics the extent of the damage. Not too much by my reckoning.

Brad

Model: FC

My FC Van in 1986 and I still have It

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 08:03:45 AM »

Gday stinky
                 Bent bonets can be saved Smiley.
 But it realy should only be atemted by a qualified and competent panelbeater , and that will probably cost much money . Also the same applies to constucting one bonet from two or three Sad
   The third option is to obtain a good clean and straight bonet with no major damage and fit It to your ute. keep the bent bonet as a second maybe.
  I can see by your pic that you have gone to a lot of trouble to get the ute nice and straight  Cool,It would be a pity to have to fit a dodgy bonet Cry.
    However the bent bonet is repaired it will still have to be boged up regardless, and most likely the repairs will show  on the underside when the bonet is open Tongue
 My FB had a similar repair and even though it looked great on top when I opend the bonet  the fix was still there, hardly anyone noticed it but I thought It was an eyesore Cry
        Something to think about anyway
         Brad

Id rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 12:51:04 PM »

Hey Glenn.
The bent bonnet can be saved and should be able to get done by someone with a bit of experience with slapper and dolly and a body file. The rear corners of bonnets are fairly strong and forgiving, only issue would be access if the ding is behind the reinforcing that is on the inside.
The rusted bonnet can have patches welded in with a skim of filler over the top, or if only pinholes, can be cleaned up and lead filled. If you put in patches, use new metal, not the front of the old bonnet.
Regards
Alex

zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 04:48:15 PM »

Don't forget to check the dog cock  Shocked

I have had my bonnet pop open on occasions and found a horizontal groove had formed where it locates the latch.

I fixed this by turning it around to the other side & tightening the adjuster nut.

It's lookin good
Stan

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 12:04:15 AM »

Hi,

Just saw your ute on the Q & A section. Would like to see some pics of its progress. You have certainly put a lot of work into it!

Am wanting to know how you dealt with the surface rust and also if you found a good panel beater. I am looking at a FC ute that has some minor damage to a fender and some surface rust beginning.. Wanting to know the best way to deal with such a problem before I offer a price.

Thanks,

Stan
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 09:25:35 AM »

Most of the story is here -
http://www.fefcholden.org.au/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=album;action=display;num=1137834026

Surface rust went back to bare metal then etch primed, painted etc.

I found a good panel beater, but he was too expensive (and busy) so I did the panel work myself  Roll Eyes

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: