FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 28, 2024, 01:09:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: engine decoding help needed  (Read 3625 times)
Moon

Keep on buildin'em!

View Profile
« on: January 29, 2006, 09:27:32 AM »

I have 2 grey motors that have me stumped as to what the hell they came out of.  Embarrassed
The first one which is out of my fc ute has two lots of numbers stamped on it, one above the other.
Top number reads;
10937 & 0 or 6,  (I just can't make out last number) Huh
plus there is no letter before that number. I thought it might be out of an FX or FJ since there was no letter in front of it, but then what is the other number for?
The other number under it reads;
N651859P

The other engine has;
V66178P stamped on it.
Does anyone know what they are out of & can explain the reason for any of these numbers? Help with this would be greatly appreciated,
Cheers,
Moon.  Smiley
FB_MAD

I can't think what to write here so this will do.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 10:07:19 AM »

G'day Moon.I ain't no big expert but the V66178P would probably be an ex stolen/recovered and restamped engine with the number issued by Victoria Police.I know a bloke who has one here in N.S.W with a VP numbered grey motor (Phil Ilfield).
Haven't seen a N...........P number but possibly the same would apply to ex stolen/recovered N.S.W restamped engine numbers issued by N.S.W police.
I had a grey block years ago that had a strange number(can't remember the number now) and after much research at the GMH local spares dealer I found it to be a new old stock FB Holden replacement block.Being young and stupid at the time I eventually swapped it  for a carton of beer!
10937 sounds like an FX/FJ number (FX more likely) but how far from the main number sequence is the "0" or "6" stamped?
I'd say you have an ex stolen and recovered FX engine and has a new number stamped and reissued by N.S.W police.
All the above may be wrong and I am willing to be corrected by better experts.

Terry

Has anybody seen my red pen??
Moon

Keep on buildin'em!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 11:47:44 AM »

Thanks for that Terry,
I spoke to Torque FC earlier tonight & he said much the same thing about the VP engine but didn't realy know about the NP one.
But thanks heaps for the info mate, greatly appreciated.
Cheers.  Wink
fccool59

rain sucks     http://www.yout ube.com/watch?v =N1Uj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 12:38:22 PM »

dunno if this is relevant but one year I got a blue slip on the FC and it was discovered that I had the wrong chassis number, I had to take it to the forenzic police and they issued me with a new number that was a np number, Im in nsw. could it be the same with engines?

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 04:26:00 AM »

I doubt they would be stolen engines at all.  Not generally known fact is that the police handles all registration details before being transferred to the various state roads depts in the late 70's.

So if you bought a new engine from GMH - as many dealerships, garages and individuals did, then once fitted it had to be stamped by the police to get a number for registration purposes.
V P number is Victoria Police - the 178th engine stamped in 1966
N P number is New South Wales Police - the 1859th engine stamped in 1965

Ken
FB_MAD

I can't think what to write here so this will do.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 05:04:33 AM »

There you go Moon, Kens answer is the one.Better than my "the crims stole 'em and the cops caught 'em theory" Grin. I knew the police had their hands involved in it somewhere though. Grin Grin Grin

Terry.

Has anybody seen my red pen??
Moon

Keep on buildin'em!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 11:14:05 AM »

Thanks for the info guys, muchly appreciated.
Moon  Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: