FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 07, 2024, 12:30:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Wiring CD  (Read 3120 times)
griffo

View Profile
« on: January 20, 2006, 06:21:57 AM »

Hi,

Have Wired in New CD player and everything works fine, right up to when I press the brake pedal or Turn the Lights on , when the bloody things turns it self off then starts up again about 5 to 10 seconds later right where it left off from.

Very humurous the first few times , but after a few goes at fixing it , ( redoing the earth connection & power supply ) it still happens , I,m getting frustrated.
Anyway the car has been rewired by previous owner,so some suggestions would be great,

cheers Griffo.
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 06:27:13 AM »

If your earth is good, double check where you are getting the power from, if necessary run a new power wire.

griffo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 06:33:18 AM »

Thanks for the reply Stinky,

but where would be the best place to get a new power supply from ?

As you can tell I,m not an expert in these things

Griffo,
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 06:51:19 AM »

Your stretching things now Grin I am really no expert, I only rewired my car with a kit.

Depends if you want the radio to operate all the time or just with the ignition.

For all the time you can go straight to the battery if you like. Other wise you will to find a "hot" wire under the dash or in the fuse panel that you can tap into.

For ignition only, use a test light to find the said wire or fuse panel point that is hot when the ignition is on and off when ignition is off.

Whatever you do make sure the wire to the radio is fused, one way or another.

Is it a custom wiring job or re-wired original?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 06:51:51 AM by stinky » Logged

griffo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 09:40:14 PM »

I,ll have a go at finding a "hot" wire on the weekend
fused of course , Would much prefer that it only worked when ignition turned on so as not to forget and leave on.
The car looks to be custom wired , i.e. battery in the boot and they have tried to conceal wiring etc.
It was suggested to me that I check the cars earth , do you think that this could have something to do with it ?
fc_1958

FC5959

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 10:29:45 PM »

Griffo

Yes check the earth - use a set jumper lead from the -ve to the car body and then test. If ok replace or run a seperate wire from the -ve to the body Around 3mm diameter.

Andrew

Andrew..... AKA   FB 60 on the "other" forum.
craiga
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2006, 04:53:06 AM »

Griffo,

On a stock FE/FC ignition switch there is an 'ACC' position but it just supplies full time positive 12VDC. If you want a true accessory position you will need to replace the original switch with something from a later model.

You should always run a separate earth cable to vehicle ground and never rely on the radio chassis to dash contact for earth. Not sure if you did it this way, but if you have find a good earth point on the body, remove any paint and screw your earth into position.

For the positive run a 10 amp fused wire direct to the ignition switch, wiring in an FE/FC is very basic to say the least so you need to go direct rather than by using one of the existing circuits.

Cheers,

Craig.
fccool59

rain sucks     http://www.yout ube.com/watch?v =N1Uj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2006, 10:48:38 AM »

does anyone else do this, I alway thought acc was between on and off, its sometimes tricky to get it on as its a very small spot between on and off.
everyone says FC's dont have acc but I refuse to believe and continue to use acc.
if you wire up the stereo to the acc position, then slowly turn the switch till the stereo comes on, you will know if you have turned the switch to far because the reds come on, if they come on slowly turn it back till they go back out or you might cook your coil.
Be carefull if you are running larger subs, I had 1 kicker 400w 12" in the back and if you left it loud unattended it would sometimes vibrate the switch into the on position meaning the coil was getting powered.

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: