FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 30, 2024, 01:59:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 14" or 16" THERMO FAN ???  (Read 5027 times)
Blown_FC

FC Holdens & Mini Coopers....Cars of the Century

View Profile
« on: January 01, 2006, 02:30:44 AM »

Sorry to bring this up again, but I've stumbled accross a really good deal on a 14" Davies Craig Thermo Fan.  Problem is, that I was hoping to fit a 16" fan.

Now obviously bigger is better when it comes to cooling, but will a 14" Davies Craig be ok ?

I have a replica XU1 Red 202, triples, Xu1 Cam, Extractors adn all the usual stuff.

I've fitted a brand new Triple Core Aussie Desert Cooler to FC sizing.

Budget is over and now in the red, so every dollar I save is a good thing, but not at the expense of cooking my motor.

Can anyone give advice Huh

Cheers''

Mark
Burnsy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 03:46:54 AM »

Mark, hope you had a good christmas.  

I would speak to Aussie Desert Coolers and see what they say, one would think that there is no way your motor will run hot with one of their triple core radiators in front of it.  Also, as thermo fans are not for cooling when moving, you made find it hard to justify a 16 inch one, it is not like you drive through stop start traffic in 30 plus degree heat to work each day Wink

Cheers,
mike

Mike
TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006, 04:46:34 AM »

id have to agree with burnsy, give aussie a ring and see what he says, but id say the 14" would be fine
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 04:46:51 AM by torquefc » Logged

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

in a rural car crash they are " Hold my stubby and watch this for skill!"
Blown_FC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006, 06:29:50 AM »

Thanks Burnsy and Torque........You'd think that this would be a simple problem.  But when you can get a XYZ brand thermo fan 16" for $170, and the same size Davies Craig unit costs $290.....you ask, what's the difference.  Then the guy behind the counter starts talking cubic feet / minute of air that each fan pushes or pulls...then I get all confused again.

Your comments seem fair enough and makes me more comfortable buying a 14".......I'll still run with Davies craig for the more air / minute ratio...but for a 14", i CAN pick one up Brand New for just $150.

I guess the factory belt driven fans weren't much bigger than 14" anyway.

Thanks guys...have a great new years.  ANd just think, when you're living 2006, I'll be back in 2005....just gotta love time zones huh ??

Blown_FC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2006, 06:32:02 AM »

Oops....sorry Burnsy...I guess you'll be stuck in 2005 with me.....!  lol

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: