FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 28, 2024, 02:36:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: which steering column  (Read 5156 times)
spider

GO THE MIGHTY GREY MOTOR

View Profile
« on: December 29, 2005, 09:34:42 AM »

hi To all, And hope you had a great xmas,
Wondering if anyone can tell me which column shift auto will fit a fe with a trimatic. The wife wants a column auto with the dial on the column, Roll Eyes I was told that ek column will fit, but just wondering if there is any others, as ek columns seems to be rare.
thankyou, Spider
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 12:18:29 AM »

Spider, as far as I know there aren't any steering boxes which will work with a Trimatic.  All the early stuff works with  a Hydromatic.  Sure, they will all change the gears on a Trimatic, but the pattern is backwards so the PRNDL has to be modified, as well as the lockout and N/S switch.
I used EJ column, maybe a little easier to find than EK, but not much.

Ken
spybo

Retrotech's the way to go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 09:33:43 AM »

Hi there,
I had a trimatic hooked up and used an EK column.
Some Mods were done the the plastic indicator( had a custom piece of plastic engraved to suit ) and a custom lockout guide made.....not oo difficult to do yourself. using the EK frame as a blank.
Hope this helps....
julius
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 10:57:59 AM »

Hi

I Know an EH or and EJ column will fit into an FC and they have the same gear set up as en EK one, but it is 4 inches shorter than an FC one and if you do the mods as per the previous post all should be honky dory.

Julius

PS I have successfully done the manual conversion my self and all you need to do is re drill one hole and make a spacer as required you will see what I mean when you have the coulomb in.
spider

GO THE MIGHTY GREY MOTOR

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005, 12:21:14 PM »

Thankyou to everyone for your help,
I think i wil go the EJ/Eh column auto just got to get one now. Roll Eyes
Cheers, Spider
SRVLIVES

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2006, 10:53:11 AM »

Bingo!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/EH-PREMIER-AUTO-STEERING-COLUMN-AND-STEERING-BOX_W0QQitemZ4602753684QQcategoryZ32057QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I knew someone was looking for one........

spider

GO THE MIGHTY GREY MOTOR

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2006, 11:52:14 PM »

Cheers SRVLIVES,
                                 Your a champion, owe you a couple of beers. Grin
Cheers Spider
fc4kiwi

crusin fine in a "59"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2006, 02:59:00 AM »

dont HR's run with a powerglide if so isnt that the same way a trimatic shifts  if it is run a auto colum out of a HR,.
Im sure a mate of mine is running that in his FC ute, with a 202- trimatic.
hopes this helps Grin
fcfromscratch
wa-club

FC - Fantastic Cars

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2006, 04:27:09 AM »

Hi Guys,

I have a HR column in my FC.....there's a couple of points with it though.

As Ken has mentioned in other posts, the HR column has only two mounting holes for the FC's 3 holes, one lines up perfect, the other requires a little adjustment, along the lines of what Julius mentions above in this post.  The third hole in the frame becomes redundant.

I have my column hooked up to a Powerglide though, so the shift pattern is OK for me.  For a Tri-matic, it will depend on which side of the trans the shift lever is as to how difficult to make the movement of the change lever on the column match the required movement of the shift lever on the trans and what bits you'll need for the set-up, but the shift pattern is nearly correct.  

The Powerglide only has 2 forward gears so the change gate doesn't allow for L2DNRP....but if you get the leverage and travel distance right for the change lever, it should be a simple case of cutting out another notch in the selector gate to allow for the 3 forward gears (or, less favourably, not be able to clearly select "L" with the change lever if you don't modify the selector gate)....

The other downfall is that you cannot easily fit an FC steering wheel to a HR column, the spline is at the back of the HR steering wheel hub instead of at the front of the steering wheel hub like on the FC, so the wheel goes too far over the column to make the splines meet and everything else fouls....it may be possible using aftermarket sports steering wheel adapter hubs, but I haven't investigated that fully....

A positive is that the HR box is a higher ratio gearing at 16.8:1 vs the FE-EH being 14:1.....poor man's "power steering"....haha

cheers......Brad
spider

GO THE MIGHTY GREY MOTOR

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2006, 08:28:20 AM »

Grin
     Bought the one of e-bay, it has already been setup for trimatic, so it should  be a hell of alot easier.
Cheers Spider
SRVLIVES

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2006, 08:51:46 AM »

Crown Lager only please..... Tongue  Cool Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: