FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:00:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: A lesson on photoshop.  (Read 19649 times)
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2004, 03:47:24 AM »

Alex,

That looks great, even though it's a Ford.  At least it's not a rice-burner....

There were a couple of tips on how different people do that here:

http://www.fefcholden.org.au/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=photochop;action=display;num=1030799461

I find the easiest way is to use the magic wand to select all the area with the colour you want to change, then use "Variations" (at the bottom of the "Image" menu) to play around with changing the colour, darkening/lightening etc.  This method changes the colour but leaves the tones alone, so the highlights and shadows remain.

And the easiest way to do a border to do Select All, then Edit/Stroke...  Choose a colour and size, and make sure the Location is "Inside".  You can also do the same thing with the Layer Effects menu (that little cursive f in a circle on the bottom left of the layers palette).

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2004, 06:59:18 AM »

That's certainly the idea, even if it's a fairly rugged colour for the fairlane.  Maybe it needs BUM80Y license plates Grin

I forgot to suggest before that if you use the Select All/Stroke method I mentioned you should create a new layer first and put the border on that.  Then you can easily select the whole border with the magic wand and do stuff like the gradient effect.  A gradient that fades to transparent can be very effective done like this.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
customFC
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2004, 12:49:42 PM »

Hey RET, I think your right. The colour was not yet right, so I tried a bit harder. Whatcha think?
The gradient to transparent looks cool.....now I got something else to figure out.
Regards
Alex

RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2004, 03:12:53 AM »

Alex,

Definitely a better red colour.  Customising the gradients and making up your own is dead easy.  After choosing the gradient tool, double click on the example of the gradient in the palette (up to v6) or on the tool-bar (v7 onwards).  Then you'll get a dialog box called the "Gradient Editor" where you can add colours and/or transparency to create all sorts of neat effects.  The attachment here shows the gradient I used on the previous pic of your car.

cheers
RET

Hewart
nsw-club

Holden on forever...

profile.php?id=1071847991 hewart
View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2004, 11:46:57 AM »

Hey Alex...
I guess half the battle trying to make text look good is choosing the right font.... there are plenty of free fonts on the net if you need some... like here for example http://www.1001freefonts.com/main.htm (but beware of a lot of "pop-ups"  Roll Eyes)
One of the easiest ways to then sex it up is to apply a "style" from the p/shop style pallet to the layer with the text on it...

These also work with pics, and gives some interesting images...
If you want different styles to the ones in p/shop.... they are editable if you go to the Menu "Layer", go down to "Layer Style" and to "Blending options". You can also go to this Abode site http://share.studio.adobe.com/axBrowseProduct.asp?p=2 and download various styles, brushes and almost anything for p/shop...

Hope that helps in some way..
Cheers
Les....
« Last Edit: May 20, 2004, 10:45:36 AM by Hewart » Logged

bob_hawke

hello

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2005, 05:17:28 AM »

a good idea if you want to broaden your skills with photoshop, flash and anything is to get the tutorials off the internet. try

www.pixel2life.com
www.tutorialized.com
www.good-tutorials.com
and thats just a few.
im in year 12 at the moment and do a subject on 'multimedia industries' and these websites literally made my major work with all of the effects and skill you learn from them. very easy to follow, and did i mention FREE!

sam.

I Think Therefore I Am?..... or I Am Therefore I Think?
customFC
Guru

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2005, 11:41:02 AM »

1 from the archives.
Manipulated an image from an advert.
Regards
Alex

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: