FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 28, 2024, 12:11:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: hq-hj,hx,hz stubs, same???  (Read 14741 times)
ekolden

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2005, 04:35:33 PM »

HI seb you say that hz-wb have a different kpi do hq as well? as a lighter steering would not suit my project after i fit a hr power assist,  they are light enough.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2005, 10:01:27 PM »

Seb, do you have any documentation on HZ and WB stub axles being different to early stubs?  I believe they are not different.
Torana stub axles have the different KPI angle and introduce bump steer because the steering arm is positioned lower than the HR arm.   This is also true on the HQ stub axle but can be got around by fitting HK HT or HG steering arms.

CRS claim in a recent Australian Street Rodding article that HK steering arms are different to HT and HG steering arms.  I am not aware of the difference - does anybody know what difference there is?

Ken
fastjbav6
wa-club

OK start her up !

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2005, 12:07:46 AM »

Ken you've jiggled my brain.
The KPI angle is different on HZ-WB due to the upper control arm being in a different position to the HQ-HJ.
The stub itself should be the same.
The steering arm bolted to the stub on HQ's is shorter than the HZ, another reason why the HQ had heavy steering.
HZ steering arms were fitted to HQ's as a quick fix  to over come He-man arms.
Can't help on the difference of the HK,T & G arms.

Regards Seb

Yellow Knight

ekolden

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2005, 04:22:07 AM »

"Ken" if i use hz stubs&calipers can i use the hr steering arms or should i use ht-hg or hk ones? and with what tie rod arms?thanks
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2005, 11:19:45 AM »

You should use the HK T G steering arms as this gets the tie rod end in pretty close to the right spot.  HR tie rod ends will fit.

Ken
ekolden

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2005, 11:34:28 AM »

thanks Ken" now i know what direction i'm going in for my front end anyway, i wont mention anything about my power steer problems  but thats for another new subject post if and when i get stuck thanks again. EKOLDEN!!!
FC-225

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2005, 08:07:15 AM »

Seb, do you have any documentation on HZ and WB stub axles being different to early stubs?  I believe they are not different.
Torana stub axles have the different KPI angle and introduce bump steer because the steering arm is positioned lower than the HR arm.   This is also true on the HQ stub axle but can be got around by fitting HK HT or HG steering arms.

CRS claim in a recent Australian Street Rodding article that HK steering arms are different to HT and HG steering arms.  I am not aware of the difference - does anybody know what difference there is?

Ken

Hi Guys,
I am showing my age here but,,,,, I was one of 2 development mechanics working at Holdens Proving Ground for the "RTS" suspension development on HZ in 1976/77 and can tell you that the stub axles are no different through the "H" and "W" car range.
The difference for "RTS" was (as stated elsewhere) a repositioned upper control arm mount and different length steering arms between manual and power steering packages,also the pump had different valving and the "rag joint" was increased to 7 ply over 5 on non "RTS" cars,as well as larger dia stabilizer bars.

AL.
colt
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2005, 06:37:51 AM »

Regarding the diff. between HK & T,G steering arms.
Many years ago I put an HK front end into an HT. The K front end came from a Brougham. ( power steering). For some reason my turning circle doubled. It never occured to me that the power steering arms may be shorter than the standard ones. I can't comment on the standard HK arms though.
Colin

colt
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2005, 09:54:56 AM »

Al, thanks for that, clears up quite a few points entirely.
one other nagging thing we have been seeing on 4 wheel disc brake HQ-HX cars, the pedal box or pedal ratio appears to be different.  When we fit rear discs to a car which was originally disc/drum we get a soft pedal.  Is there a difference somewhere in the pedal box between 4 wheel disc cars and 2 wheel disc cars?

Ken
FC-225

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2005, 10:24:15 AM »

Ken, The memory isn't as good on some things,,but I do remember re drilling pivot points on pedals in development cars again for "RTS" 4 wheel disc.
Don't believe there was any difference in the pedal box itself. I think they were all 1" master cyls. for 4 wheel disc,and still 15/16" on disc/drum as disc/disc was an option..

AL
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2005, 10:30:22 AM »

So assuming the booster itself isn't any lower in the car, then the booster push rod would have a bend in it (sort of like the UC Torana) which would be fitted to the 4wd cars which would in effect give the pedal a firmer feel by shortening the pedal ratio.  Does this sound right?

Ken
FC-225

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2005, 10:36:46 AM »

I think the pivot point was only like maybe 15mm different to previous HX and down cars.
Can't recall any bends in the pushrod though ?? I think I have one in the FC from back then as well.

AL
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: