FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 28, 2024, 05:15:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Grey Motor Engine Numbers  (Read 5446 times)
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« on: May 05, 2002, 08:36:19 AM »

I am in the process of cleaning up an old grey with the view to rebuild the motor in the near future. As most of you are aware there are numerous markings on the block. However there is one that I came across with this block that has made me curious. In addition to the engine number (it must be a replacement motor or recoed motor as it has a V******P number) there is the number SE 1999 3 stamped just above the mating between the block and fuel pump. Any ideas???

Also has anyone got any hints on identifying the size of the bore. I am assuming its possibly a 138. There are no marks on the tops of the pistons to indicate an oversized bore, but to the best of my measurements the bottom of the piston skirts measure 3.061" while the bore measures about 3.055". I know you are going to say its impossible to have a larger piston than the bore. The measurements are approximate as I am unsure of the accuracy of the calipers I was using. Any ideas to help identify the size of the motor would be appreciated.

Rod
air-chief

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2002, 09:11:35 AM »

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong Wink

Back in the eighties when an engine number was shaved off for various reasons a replacement number was provided by the police, the prefix was V then numbers followed by P. V for Victoria and P for Police.
The same was done on car bodies when the area with the number was replaced.

I have owned a commodore that had the strut tower replaced, this removed the AVL number and I had to apply for a new number which was a VP number.

Hope this helps.
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2002, 09:30:33 AM »

The engine number is clearly shown and hasn't been shaved off. This other number I am still at a loss to explain.

Rod
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2002, 08:48:29 AM »

Rod, let me get this clear the V.........P is the engine number, which means the car was fitted with a new block (not a recoed engine ). The first 2 numbers after the V is the year that the block was stamped. The next numbers are a sequential number of new blocks stamped that year.
Apart from that number near the distributor, there is another number near the fuel pump.  All I can guess is that it is a code number from the shop which put the engine together, although I can't make any sense of it.
Sorry.
The block will be a 3 & 1/16 bore (3.06 inches).

Ken
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2002, 10:03:11 AM »

Hi.
I have an engine I pulled out of an FC ute (Wreck). It has the following engine number: T 16450 P
I live in TAS, so it seems to confirm the V P = VIC Police & T P = TAS Police.
4hammers

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
PeteR

ampmobile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2002, 11:52:08 PM »

The only prob with that code is that the suggestion that the year code are the two digits after the state police letter code would mean that block was stamped in 1916!!   Huh
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2002, 06:18:25 AM »

DOH!!!  EmbarrassedSorry!
I seem to have gone a bit dyslexic. The number is:
T 65104 P
Stuffed if I know how I messed that up.
4hammers

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2002, 10:07:23 AM »

You had me worried for a while cos I thought that your grey was a really early one produced in 1916!!!!!  Sounds much better being replaced in 1965.

Ken
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2002, 10:32:23 AM »

Hi Ken.
Seems I have been having a bit of trouble with numbers of late Embarrassed
In future, I will TRIPLE check ALL my digits Smiley
4hammers