FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 01, 2024, 12:06:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Shaping plastics  (Read 1907 times)
HARKO
« on: July 14, 2005, 12:44:47 PM »

I was hoping someone may know something about working plastics into shapes possibly with heat or chemicals and having them set into that shape.

And if there is such a thing would it be possible to cut a shape into sheet metal and have the plastic sink into the shape so it has a flush fit from outside

I have an idea but I have no idea how to do it hehe.
TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 08:24:33 PM »

harko

at school we have this machine called a vacuum former. first you put the piece of normal plastic into the machine so it can heat up, once hot the sit it over the mould and shut it. you then flick the switch for the vacuum and there you go, 10 seconds later its done

i just dont know how you would be able to get a hold of one, my school is a little to far away if you know what i mean Wink

cheers
torque

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

in a rural car crash they are " Hold my stubby and watch this for skill!"
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2005, 10:41:20 AM »

Hey Harko.
Shaping plastics can be done and you don't need hi-tech equipment.
You need a mould and a buck that is the shape you wish to form. Simply a female and male pattern of the shape.
Basically, you have a mould of the shape, place some perspex, slightly ovesize into/on the mould then press the buck into the mould to sandwich the perspex to shape. You need to apply heat, a simple heat gun will do, and slow pressure from a press or vice.  
My taillights were formed in this manner, so I know it works.
Ask for offcuts at the perspex place, they are cheaper and big enough for most jobs.
If you need anything explained, call me.
Regards
Alex

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: