FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 08:20:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Paint Removal  (Read 3072 times)
mitch

Pisston Broke

View Profile
« on: May 11, 2002, 04:48:04 AM »

Just wondering if anyone had some tips on stripping paint. I am currently sanding back an FC that has plenty of cracks and crows feet. Would sand blasting be the most effective way to remove the paint or is there another method to strip it back? Paint strippers?
demon

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2002, 08:35:54 AM »

Sand blasting will pit the sheet metal best you use plastic grit blasting leaves no marks on metal.If your in melbourne theres a place in Campbellfield called Carstrip p/l hope this helps                                                                                          cheers Demon
JB
qld-club
Guru

Model: FE

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2002, 08:46:30 AM »

I had my Van sandblasted up here in Cairns, wasn't cheap ($1800) but I had inside and out done with all doors etc.
Can say they did an excellent job included was 2 pac primer. No rippling from heat, etc and that is probably the main thing you have to watch with sandblasting.
Still getting the blast out of the car though 6 months later.
Got rid of all the rust with out the hard work... now I just have to fix it.
Have some photo's in the photo section of the before and after if you want a look, though the photo's probably don't show as much as you need.

Hope this helps
Regards
Jason  Grin

Phone +64 223509263
sgo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2002, 09:39:11 PM »

I think stripping paint is a pain whatever method you use!
Chemical strippers are messy, toxic and only take off about one layer of paint at a time.
I suggest an 8" disc of 60 or 80 grit, something that doesn't clog to easy, and attack one panel at a time.
Some patience and a good dust mask is all you need.

Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2002, 10:41:52 PM »

There is a place here in SA (Minus Paint) that can alkaline dip a whole car body, not sure of the cost though. The only problem is getting paint/deadener/whatever back onto the inner panels and crevices. I suppose this process is best suited to hanging panels and by product of the process is rejuvenated rubbers. I had my Torana shell done a number of years ago and the shell was as clean as a whistle when I got it back!

michaels57

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2002, 05:22:49 AM »

I know that when i did a hz panelvan i had the car bare metaled in about two days using a combination of paint stripper from the auto paint shop and a special sander that is very similar to a nine inch grinder with a plastic like sanding disk that cost me about 50 dollars. The disk lasted me so i didn't need to get two you should be right remembering this was a panelvan.

all up $50 for the hire
         $40 for the stripper
          $50 for the disk
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: