FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 28, 2024, 02:51:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FC Heaters  (Read 6096 times)
mitch

Pisston Broke

View Profile
« on: April 23, 2002, 05:48:36 AM »

I was wondering if anyone could give some advice on installing a smiths heater in to my FC. The inlet and Outlet pipes forthe heater radiator are not posistioned the sameas the holes through the fire wall.
Is there different styles of heater?
and if so could I have the wrong type to fit on my firewall?
coolaride
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2002, 06:27:12 AM »

hey there mitch ,
            yes there were different types of heaters .
            i think by memory three  ?
            the smiths , warmaride and maybe even bosch.
            anyway if the two holes on your fire wall are
            next to each other then , it sounds like those
            holes are for the nasco warmaride heater .

the holes for the smiths heater should be at
            opposite ends of each other .like below.

i can email you some more pics if you want ?

hope this helps coolaride  Smiley

« Last Edit: April 29, 2002, 01:55:25 PM by coolaride » Logged
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2002, 09:31:53 AM »

Mitch,
I have a copy of the template for a Smiths Heater courtesy of Ken McLean. He never ceases to amaze me where he gets all his info. Looking forward in buying his book when he has finished.
The template is also the same stud pattern as the warmaride. I tried to e-mail you but the message bounced back and said it didn't like your address.

I am interested in Cooarides heater though as it seems to have some type of vent system and controlled from the inside.
If you leave your e-mail address I will pass on the template as I am unsure on how to leave it hear.

Rod
mitch

Pisston Broke

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2002, 06:23:50 AM »

Thanks for your help Rod and Coolaride.
It seems, from the picture supplied and by looking at my ute, that the ute came with a Nasco Warmaride heater and the previous owner must have planned on fitting the smiths type.

If you could please send me some more pics, coolaride and template, Rod it would be very much apreciated.

My new Email address is mitch.butler@norske-skog.com.au
Digger

Classic not Plastic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2002, 07:42:54 AM »

Hi Coolride,

I was wondering if having the heater draw air in from the engine bay caused any unpleasant oders and if it dose help any with the heating.
I have a EH two speed prem heater set up in my FC and was thinking of fabricating a duct system much like you have.
Is the system on your car original, looks much like a set up I have seen on a 57/58 vaxhaul but they drew air from the driver side via ducting to the side of the radiator.
Regards ,
Steve
« Last Edit: April 24, 2002, 12:13:20 PM by digger » Logged
coolaride
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2002, 01:20:14 PM »

hey there steve ,
                          no unpleasant odours due to the ducting which connects to another duct next to the radiator .         see pic below.
yes , this is an original set up. ( well 99% sure anyway)
it also has a dual control panel underneath the glovebox
which alows the air flow to be controlled and heater taps to be turned off .

i`m also sure that the smiths bullet type heater didn`t come with the two engine bay ducts(again 99% sure).

thats the only difference between these heaters ,
besides the sticker with one saying smiths and the other
saying nasco . Wink

it`s a very effective heater , keeps me warm all winter long  Grin

regards coolaride   Wink

« Last Edit: April 29, 2002, 01:56:17 PM by coolaride » Logged
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2002, 09:38:17 PM »

coolaride,

That is definitely original - my very first FC had one of those heaters, and in fact I have the fitting instructions for it.  In  my case that thick grey hose had a couple of splits in it, and used to smell pretty bad.

I don't think the fitting instructions would scan very well, since they are on a single fold-out sheet much bigger than my A4 scanner could cope with, and the previous owner had repaired it with sticky tape that's gone a lovely yellow colour, in such a way that it won't actually sit flat Roll Eyes.  But I'll have a go if anyone is really keen.  In any case I can give you it's correct name and model code if you're interested.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2002, 04:21:48 AM »

Hi everyone. My first FC also had the same set up as Coolarides & Richards. I have also seen variations that include a heater box (mounted in the engine bay, oppisite to the battery) that has a small core that draws water from the motor, but doesn't send it through the firewall. There was a small motor that sucked the air into the passenger compartment via a similar ducting as Coolarides. It had a much more complicated control panel which included a "Boost" switch. I will try & get a photo if anyone is interested.

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2002, 08:03:41 AM »

The heater with the remote water heater as described by 4 hammers was actually very clever.  By taking the hot water out of the cabin allowed the fan to actually blow cool air into the cabin during hot days rather than air which had already gone through the water in the Nasco Warmaride style heater.  This water was warm even though the tap may have been off and made turning the fan on a very unpleasant experience.  One of the FC's I owned had the same heater as described by 4 hammers and it was a real beauty.   The other advantage it had was that it was very compact inside the cabin.

Ken
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2002, 04:24:46 AM »

Not to mention avoiding having hoses pumping scalding water through the cabin.  They make a hell of a mess when they break, or when the heater core rusts out.  Don't they Alex?  Cheesy

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: