FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 02, 2024, 01:28:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: cad platting  (Read 5256 times)
greyone

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: May 10, 2005, 08:22:00 AM »

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE ICAN GET THIS DONE I HAVE HEARD THAT SOMEONE FROM THE HOLDENS OF AGE MT GAMBIER DOES IT BUT CANNOT CONTACT ANYONE TO CONFIRM
Sarge
Guru

My 57 & Old No 7 all a Man Need's

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005, 08:17:47 AM »

Malcolm
          NO NEED TO YELL, we are not deaf. Cad plating in now illegal.

Cheers
Sarge

Mark Lees Tallerbudgera Queensland
        0421 165 351
Holden Classics; a BREED above the rest
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2005, 10:42:37 AM »

Sarge, very tactful as usual.
Malcolm, what Sarge is trying to say is: When on forums etc, typing in capitals is considered yelling. Whilst it may be easier to type like this, you may upset some seasoned users who have nothing better to do but be online.
On the subject of Cadmium Plating, visit your local chromeplaters and ask what type of finish they can do. I think I got some bits nickel plated, but there may be other options.
Regards
Alex

Sarge
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 10:11:08 AM »

Alex
     You know me, tact is my middle name. I was not upset or offended, I think nickel plating is about as close as you will get these days. Malcolm if you find out any more please let us all know. Just speak softly I may be getting on and going blind and grey and getting cranky in my old age, but I am not going deaf. Grin

Cheers
Sarge

P.S I hope I didnt offend you.

0421 165 351
gp

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 07:48:04 PM »

You can also try zinc plating
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 12:50:08 AM »

I'm surprised to hear cad plating is illegal, as I had some done in Sydney only a matter of weeks ago.  Well, two weeks before the Nats, to be precise.

Platers that will do zinc are easier to find, though, and it's cheaper.  Zinc finishes are usually what's called "bright zinc", while cad is generally a much more dull finish.  If you have no luck finding a cad plater, platers are able to do "not-quite-so-bright" zinc, that's reasonably close to the finish of cad.  Talk to them about what it is you're after, and see what they can suggest.  If you've got a good example of the finish you're wanting to achieve, take it with you.  They're the experts after all.

Hope that's some help.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 09:35:44 AM »

I believe Vinnies in Dandenong still do Cad plating but it is getting hard to find now.
Dull zinc would be the easiest way to get a good looking finish

Ken
Sarge
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2005, 09:22:43 AM »

Ret
You may well be right about it not being illegal. I was just going by a chrome plater I went to up this way, as he just said that the chemicals used for cad plateing had been made illegal to use for safty reason so now cad plating was illegal but that there where other finishes that could be used to replace it. This was only within the last few month's.

I might try ring around to see what a few others say.

Cheers
Sarge

0421 165 351
minifcvan
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2005, 10:43:51 AM »

i may be stupid but whats cad platting i havnt heard of it before please enlighten me
cheers mini
gp

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2005, 07:17:40 PM »

I believe it's short for cadmium ??
old-blu
nsw-club

Model: FE and FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2005, 09:12:38 PM »

Winkler &Pattrick @ Lismore will do Cad, Nickel &zinc.They also do Diecast. 33 Terania St. Lismore. [66213342]--ask for Perc. or Ken.Cheers  old- Blu.

6th, may 1958 "I was there".
greyone

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2005, 09:28:43 AM »

I rang vinnies today they do cad platting at a price $120 per scuff plate I will get a couple done in the next couple of weeks and if I,ve worked out how to drive this computer I will post some photos of them regards grey one p.s thanks again ken
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2005, 09:36:53 PM »

Malcolm,

I would let your fingers do a bit more walking if I were you.  I had 3 done (2 front, 1 rear) for about that price in Sydney.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2005, 07:53:29 AM »

Ret is right - Vinnies are dear, but I think they are the only place left in Victoria who will do it.  There may be more places in NSW which could keep prices more competitive.
I remember getting Cad done a few years ago before the legal problems cheaper than zinc prices.

Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: