FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 05:31:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: brakes  (Read 4426 times)
TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« on: March 16, 2005, 10:25:04 AM »

hey ken

we live in the hoppers area as you probably already know wondereing what  price you could do on all round brakes to suit ek, would prob need all lines to be remaid

hopefully you can get back to me on it as the ek is nearing completion and the reco'd diff and front end are co,plete minus brakes

thanks alot
Torque
« Last Edit: March 16, 2005, 10:33:05 AM by torquefc » Logged

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

in a rural car crash they are " Hold my stubby and watch this for skill!"
Martin

Model: FC

Jim

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 12:26:20 PM »

Darcy, you've been asked/told before - this is a public forum, not a private message medium.

If you want Ken to give you a quote, send him a "PM" = private message.  Find him on the "Members" board accessed from the menu at the top of the page.

Please don't clog up this public forum with individual matters.

Martin

The liver is evil.  It must be PUNISHED

Martin
Marion.  South Aust.

Ebay user id:  lewis1411
TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 04:44:52 AM »

sorry martin
well how bout i refrase it

could anybody that has done any restos on fc or ek tell mi an approximate price 2 pay on brakes allround

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

craiga
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 04:58:33 AM »

Brake shoes about $30.00 front, $30.00 rear (exchange)
Wheel cylinders new $90.00 each corner, resleeved around $50.00 per corner
Master Cylinder about $70.00
Brake fluid, replacement return springs, retainer pins and springs, and about 4 hours work.

Rough total: Approx $500.00 - $700.00 with new wheel cylinders but without labour cost. You can lightly hone and refurb the wheel cylinders yourself with new rubbers for a cost of about $20.00 per cylinder, greatly reducing the cost but only viable if the cylinders are not too badly corroded.

Have a look on http://www.americanautos.com.au or http://www.rarespares.net.au for exact pricing and availability.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 05:01:53 AM by craiga » Logged
TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 04:59:04 AM »

thanks mate it help alot

where bout did u get youre brakes opr were these just a estim,ate

craiga
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 05:44:12 AM »

Have a look on http://www.americanautos.com.au or http://www.rarespares.net.au for exact pricing and availability.

Darcy,

As per the links in my previous post. Your local PBR, Repco or auto parts place will also have these parts, or be able to get them but maybe at a slightly higher cost. I know Rare Spares give bonafide FE FC Club members a discount in NSW, most likely this applies in VIC as well?

And I hate to be too critical about this, and I don't want to create a problem with you personally, but could you please post in real English? One of the things that I feel differentiates this forum from others (fastlane and oldholden being examples) is the quality of the question and the high level of response and knowledge. It really does reduce the quality of the forum when people produce posts like yours are worded. The questions are great, its just the poor quality grammar and spelling  Roll Eyes

That said, it's great to see a younger guy like yourself so keen on early model Holdens.

Cheers,

Craig.
TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2005, 07:09:02 AM »

hay sorry bout this

normally im in a reall hurry so its normally easily done with shortening words etc

thanks alot it helps, do u know yourself if there is a brake uprgrade for fb ek, probably a stupid question but is it possible?

i will have a look at youre links after i finish writing this post

thanks alot for the help
Torque

craiga
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2005, 12:19:35 AM »

Darcy,

There a number of ways to upgrade the brakes on your car - you could fit later EH drum type which have a larger braking area, and/or fit a booster to the originals, replace the drums with an aftermarket disc brake kits (adds discs to the original stubs), or replace the front and rear ends with later model HR items. This is a popular and effective modification, see here http://www.fefcholden.org.au/techinfo/tech002.html for an excellent article written by Ken McLean.

Good Luck.

Craig
TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2005, 02:53:28 AM »

hay thanks alot for the advice
it helps alot

is it actually possible to fit discs to the original front end?

we were hoping to keep the original front end and rear as we have just detailed them

thankz for the advice
Torque

craiga
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2005, 03:26:20 AM »

This question has been asked and answered before and makes interesting reading http://www.fefcholden.org.au/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=hotup;action=display;num=1084880448;start=10

Cheers,

Craig.
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2005, 03:50:46 AM »

Yes, there is a kit for mounting discs to kingpins, it's been discussed here before.  Ken appraised it and didn't think it was that crash-hot, but it's probably worth having a read of the discussion about it.

It's in a thread called "Why Not King Pin?"

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: