FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 06, 2024, 05:30:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Alternator in Chev.  (Read 1956 times)
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« on: January 28, 2005, 10:22:08 PM »

Hello,

im posting this on behalf of another person (Andrew Harvey).

"Apologies that it's not FE/FC, but I'm hoping the issue has been seen before. I am currently in the (somewhat slow) process of building an EK wagon - 327 Chev, TH350, VP Commodore LSD. The front end of the vehicle has been built up using a CRS HR crossmember. The current challenge is to get an alternator to fit. I am using a Bosch 120A unit, which fouls the front subframe when using standard low-mount Chev alternator brackets. Mocking the alternator up, it looks like the only way to get it to fit is to high-mount - and to clear the heads, it is a very remote location. Before I go and start making a set of brackets, has anyone found an easier way/alternate location/off the shelf brackets for Chev alternators into FE/FC/EKs? Lindsay, Glen, Harko, any advice?"

Many thanks,

Andrew 

in the shed
FC-V8

Model: FC

Not enough hours in the day

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2005, 12:04:56 AM »

Andrew
         I am also running a small block in my FC wagon & have fitted the lower mount alternator bracket which did require some mods to fit & also to allow some(not much) ajustment of the belt. It is a tight fit but it seems to work.
Glenn

What it to rev ? install a CHEV !
0401-065-201
fcstationsedan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2005, 12:53:01 AM »

You could look at modifying the low mount to give more clearance or use the HK style that mounted the alternator way up over the head. Looked ugly as but this was factory! Your only other option is a more compact alternator. Why 120 amps? Seems like overkill unless you are running some major electrical items.

Dave
Former 1959 FC Station Sedan owner.
TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2005, 01:07:46 AM »

hey
we r cleaning up our fc at the moment

on the 350 we ended up putting gilmor belt drives

we were goin 2 move the alternator to the bottom, we could of if we had of used a small body alternator, but we had already bought the big 1, ours is 100amps

there is a baracket available at autobarn, this is in sunshine victoria, the plate bolts on 2 the number 1 bolt and the water pump bolt closest to the top, this is available for left or right

we were goin 2 go 4 this option but we already ordered the custom belt (by the way the belt alone was $100 because it was custom size)

so we ended up leaving it where it was, at the right hand side sticking out heaps

hope this helps

Darcy

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

in a rural car crash they are " Hold my stubby and watch this for skill!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: