FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 06, 2024, 07:07:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: HQ Carby on a Grey  (Read 5303 times)
EJ_Dave

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2005, 12:29:29 AM »

I am thinking of doing this mod as a simple, low budget performance upgrade and was after information on whether I need to get the port on the standard inlet manifold enlarged and re-studded (ie is the HQ carby base bigger?). Secondly, what jet sizes should I use? The motor is a 138 grey with extractors and 2 inch system but otherwise standard. A mild cam is on the agenda for the not-too- distant future.

Hopefully this will help me climb the hills to Jindabyne a bit better for the Nationals.

Cheers,

Dave
TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2005, 01:39:02 AM »

hey it is possible

but may i ask where r u gettin ur grey motor bitz, eg mild cam

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

in a rural car crash they are " Hold my stubby and watch this for skill!"
ChrisB

"Shiny Bits"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 09:01:42 AM »

Dave,
I have already rebuilt one and its sitting on a manifold ready to go. I got the setup off IHADAV8. I just have not had enough time to fit and play, and still cant decide if I want twins or single carb with the headers. Give me a PM and you can come and borrow it and have a play.
I think it was a 186 carby though !!

Cheers ChrisB  Cool
« Last Edit: January 25, 2005, 09:06:08 AM by ChrisB » Logged
fcstationsedan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2005, 09:30:15 AM »

The 202 carb definitely has a bigger base and would need an adapter. Carbs off smaller red motors such as a 186 usually have the same size base as a Grey as far as I know and should be a bolt in. probably a stock 149-161 carb would be close re jet sizes. You really need test equipment to get that right as there are so many variables.

Dave
Former 1959 FC Station Sedan owner.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2005, 09:59:56 AM »

I'm pretty sure even the early red engines have a bigger base than the grey.

Ken
NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2005, 10:00:34 AM »

I am sure I did this when I was 19 and just mucking around, I stuck a red 202 carb on the grey, no new gaskets or nothing, seemed faster, sounded fast and throaty but started using more fuel.
from memory I took the red carb base of and stuck the red top to the grey base. I then whacked it on and drove it till the timing gear one day kicked the bucket.

EJ_Dave

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2005, 12:31:44 PM »

Chris,

thanks for your generous offer- I'll definitely take you up on it in the next few weeks. I haven't been sure if I want twins or a single either. I've got most of the bits for a twin stromberg setup so maybe between us we can put one of these together as well. It would be great to test both on the same motor without outlaying substantial amounts of cash. I'm sure your setup from Tony would be well sorted.

One of my concerns about a twin carby setup is having to modify my warm air intake system which makes such a huge difference to driveability on winter mornings. Essentially, I would have to make a larger air cleaner box that would cover both carbies- too much welding for me! With a single carb I will be able to use the same air cleaner and leave the system untouched. If twins produce subsatntially more power though I might make the extra effort.  

Whatever option I choose, I was banking on paying someone to get the jetting right but because Stromberg jets are cheap, if anyone knows roughly the right jets to get in the ballpark it may be helpful for an initial play before outlaying more serious $. There are also adjustable jets available for Strombergs. Anyone have  comments on these?

There are other single carb possibilties too such as WW Stromberg and XE/XF F%$*D Weber carbies that are used on reds and blues. Has anyone used one of these on a grey?

Torquefc- I haven't worked out where I am getting a cam from but I don't think they should be too hard to come by. As for putting one in...I've never done one before and haven't worked out if I even want to try yet.  

Thanks for the comments guys- you've given me a few things to look at.

Cheers,

Dave
Burnsy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2005, 01:07:17 PM »

Waggot still grind grey motor cams and you will probably find some local guys will too, I know that there are people in Perth who do it.  30/70 grind has been recommended to me by Rob (4Hammers).  I am told the hardest thing is finding a good cam to grind.

Burnsy

Mike
ChrisB

"Shiny Bits"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2005, 08:11:00 PM »

Dave,
When your ready let me know, I also have a twin carby manifold wich is setup with water flow like the X2 HR had for the twins.
I sent my cam to Sydney and had it ground as a towing cam, made alot of difference down low, and with the 3.55 diff centre and standard carby, car is a much more driver friendly propersition and getting 28mpg.

ChrisB  Cool
gp

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2005, 08:53:27 PM »

Hi Guys,

Yes the throttle body on the Grey is definitely smaller than that used on any of the red motors, the stud/bolt holes won't line up. Cry

Cheers,

Graham
smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2005, 10:07:49 PM »

hey chris, give us a call when dave wants to come down and try out the carbys, im pretty sure ive got a stromberg off a 202 sitting around. pretty sure it was jetted for the 192 though. but hes welcome to it.
dean

i may be getting older, but i refuse to grow up!
Tumbles
wa-club

ute's kick ass

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2005, 10:51:54 PM »

Camshaft engineering do about four different cam profiles that I know of, but like Burnsy said you gotta find a good cam

SUPREME RULER AND DICTATOR-FOR-LIFE
It all starts with a second term in power!!
craiga
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2005, 11:14:49 PM »

Dave,

I have used adjustable jets for Strombergs and they work well but can be prone to leaks around the rubber '0' ring. Infinately adjustable and great for finding the perfect tune for your modifed car.

They are reasonably cheap and available through Amercian Autos in Sydney.

Cheers,

Craig.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: