FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 06, 2024, 05:33:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Trim clips  (Read 7609 times)
blacky

Model: other Holden

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: January 21, 2005, 10:36:37 PM »

A mate of mine has stripped his FC for a respray , and the clips that retain the stainless trims on the side of the car are in pretty average condition , some of the trims were sikaflexed on , etc.
Are these clips available either new or repro , or is it time for another trip out to Cundelee to rob some off a few wrecks ?

I spent most of my money on beer , fast cars and women - the rest I just wasted.
smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 10:44:09 PM »

hi blacky, not sure if original but i found the trim clips from rare spares will do the job, with a little bending out of the thin arm. they sort of look like this ~ if you know what i mean. agian not sure if original as my clips were non existant.
dean

i may be getting older, but i refuse to grow up!
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 11:12:04 PM »

The SA Rare Spares has clips to do the job, so I guess the others do too. They told me they don't have a kit as such, but to bring in the trim or the old clips and they would see what they could do.

Blown_FC

FC Holdens & Mini Coopers....Cars of the Century

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 11:14:21 PM »

I have to re-drill all the holes in my FC Special, cause some previous owner had a brainwave, and decided to weld them all up ( Aaaarrgh ).

So I thought about SIKAFLEX or something similar.   Is there anyway you can use a some sort of adhesive or strong tape like they do with commodores and falcons and most modern cars Huh

Would stop rust ever coming back !

Obviously the trims are hollowed out, so what if you filled them with a 2 part resin first, given you a flat surface to sikaflex to the car Huh?

Your thoughts Huh

Mark
Fast_Eddie

Body by Holden. Soul by Fast Eddie.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 11:29:04 PM »

Mark,

I have wanted to try this myself, for the very same reasons.

Just need to work out the best product to fill the trim effectively. It may only need to be filled in sections rather than the whole piece. (Save cost and weight), and then ground back flat to suit the adhesive tape.

Ed
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 11:42:34 PM »

This has been discussed before, although I don't think anyone we've heard from anyone who has successfully done this.

m_o_h has repro'd FC commercial guard spears with a flat rear surface so they can be glued on, but this is clearly not viable for every piece of trim.

I'm very interested in the idea though, as the Tilli's kit I have for Faecal requires something like 200 holes...

cheers
RET
« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 11:44:58 PM by ret » Logged

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2005, 12:05:05 AM »

Hello Ppl,

I have just recenty drilled out my panels for the trim clips.  the first hole was the hardest.

A trip to Rare Spares (homebush) and I depleted their stock of spring clips.

Personally I found the mould rarely conforms closely to the panel shape,. requiring the clip to pull the mould into position.

I doubt whether adhesive tape would hold it down sufficiently with the mould lifting up at the least opportune moment.

hope this is of some help

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2005, 12:49:52 AM »

found the same problems as ed, especially with the rear quarter strips. i too had to drill out several holes as mine were filled in, no trim on car when purchased.
i tell you what drilling that first hole into a freshly painted car was nervewracking. :-/

as mentioned so many times by others on this site measure three times drill once.

the spring clips do seem to hold the trim in quite well.

ACE
Guru

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2005, 03:23:29 AM »

It is wise to drill all holes required in body and panels before painting. Wink
Regards ACE  Cool
smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2005, 04:15:44 AM »

this would have been my prefered method but being a first timer and only having a backseat full of trim without clips, none attached to vehicle when  purchased i 'assumed' :-/ that the holes which were in the body were the correct amount and position. it was only after the car came back from 16 months at the beaters/ paint and i started to fit the trim on did i realise that

A/ i needed better/ straighter trim as some of the stuff i had was far from the right contour of the body

B/  more holes were needed to correctly hold trim in place.

ah, hindsight is a wonderful thing if only thought of earlier Grin Grin

cheers
dean

fcfromscratch
wa-club

FC - Fantastic Cars

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2005, 04:17:39 AM »

Blacky,

I used the ~ shaped "spring-tail" clips from Rare Spares for most of my trim on the green/white FC sedan... worked OK...my experience was that the "fancy" spring steel clips for the ends of the spears (different to the spring-tail clips for the middles of the spears) were harder to come by, but not extinct...something like a country Holden dealer could be the best bet...they're usually too rusted out on wrecks to re-use....

I'll send some pics of what I've got....and if he doesn't need them in a hurry, could get some and bring them up in March on the way to Jindabyne....

cheers....Brad
blacky

Model: other Holden

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2005, 10:30:37 PM »

That would be great , thanks Brad , and everyone else for your ideas , with regards to filling the back of  the trim - how about silver soldering a small bolt into the trim and then bolting them on with a nut on the back ?
Doesn`t solve the problem of drilling holes in the panel , but if they need to be pulled towards the body it could make life easier  

I spent most of my money on beer , fast cars and women - the rest I just wasted.
knickers
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2005, 03:35:06 AM »

What I have seen done is to cut a small peice of metal to fit under the 'lips' of the trim, drill a hole in the centre & a small brad (nail), cut to length & a speed nut to fit.
The brad was used because the head won't pull through the hole & 'no more nails' used to glue around the head (but depending on material used & skill of the person could solder/weld the head) to stop the brad pushing back into the trim hollow when the speed nut was pushed on - which is similar to the original setup.

Knickers

« Last Edit: January 31, 2005, 03:37:13 AM by knickers » Logged
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2005, 10:53:37 AM »

When replacing the trim onto my FC, I used what I think were Commodore clips. They were basically a flat piece of steel with a threaded bolt sticking out. I trimmed the flat piece to the width of the trim and slid it into place. Then a washer and a nut on the inside means that I could tighten as required. I can also remove them just as easy. For the pieces at the end of the doors, I used a piece of aluminium with a small hole in it (no rusting). I then just used a self tapper to nip it up.
Regards
Alex
« Last Edit: January 31, 2005, 10:54:56 AM by custom_fc » Logged

surferboy
wa-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

10,000 POINTS !

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2005, 01:30:19 PM »

How do you fit the trim on a station wagon that runs from the back door to the petrol filler ? the book shows a flattened   w   shaped clip that screws on from the outside as there is no access from the inside. Rare Spares said they dont have these clips. I showed them the one I had, but I need 2 . Any other options ?
            Cool Cool Cool

cruisin's great with a 58
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2005, 10:57:20 AM »

The clip I have used in this application is call ed "blind hole" clip, basically it is the S shaped clip with spring tail on it, but instead of a thread on it, it has a push in clip.
Obviously you have to drill out the hole to a larger size in order to fit it.

Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: