FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 27, 2024, 09:26:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: fibre timing gears  (Read 3979 times)
fcee
vic-club

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2005, 09:28:28 AM »

:)have recently got my fc sorted and seems to be running great ,but ,have been told to replace the timing gears with a steel set as the fibre gears were prone to failure ,now I am worried about the reliability of my car ,is this a problem ?and if so where to purchase steel ones ? like some comments from you experinced guys please .thanks Steve .

Sale Victioria
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2005, 09:35:22 AM »

I am a bit 50-50 on this one but the Vic club is taking orders for steel gear sets if you want them.  Contact Tony Galea

Regards Ken
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2005, 11:16:59 AM »

Hi.
As far as I know, the fibre gears are OK, as long as the oil is changed on a regular basis & no crap deposits form & block the galleries. I am yet to have any Grey motor gears fail on me on a standard car & I have owned quite a few.

When I first started on my Hot Grey treasure hunt, I was warned away from the steel gears, as they do not "Flex" even slightly when revving hard. This can cause them to shear the front of the cam clean off. I have been told this buy quite a few of the early Grey racers & have seen the results of such an incident. They all swear by the alloy gears.
But, that is only what I have been told & I suppose it is what you intend to use the car for.

Rob J

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
Fast_Eddie

Body by Holden. Soul by Fast Eddie.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2005, 11:52:13 AM »

I recently stripped a fibre gear on a grey and had alloy gears fitted in the rebuild, as the motor has been worked a little.

For normal duty, the fibre gears seem to be fine. My advice would be not to replace them until/if they fail.

The other consideration is that the fibre gears are quieter than the alloy or steel ones.
Al
nsw-club

I love FC Ute's!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2005, 03:18:11 AM »

Hi Eddie,
              Where did you get the alloy timing gear from. I thought the only gears were fibre or steel. I agree with 4hammers the steel ones would not flex enouth when reved hard causing a lot of strain on the cam.

Cheers Al

See ya
Al
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2005, 08:59:31 AM »

Hi Al.
Sorry to butt in here, Eddie.
I don't know of anywhere who is repro-ing them, but if they were, I would grab what I could.
The ones I have found, have been in the Trading Post, Parts peddler & on Ebay. Or by just asking the right people.

Rob J

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
Fast_Eddie

Body by Holden. Soul by Fast Eddie.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2005, 09:58:17 AM »

Al,

The receipt for the engine build says

"1 x JP Alloy Timing gear kit"

I assume they are still available, but the guy who built the motor has been building grey motors for years, so may have had some stock that is no longer in production?

I hope this helps,

Edward

Al
nsw-club

I love FC Ute's!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2005, 07:57:05 AM »

Thanks 4hammers and Eddie
               I will do a bit of searcing up here. There are a few older engine recditioners around here. I will let you know the outcomes

Cheers Al

See ya
Al
fcee
vic-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2005, 08:14:30 AM »

:)could this be J.P pistons from Sth Aus ,they have a website and do make alloy timing gear sets for 6 cylinder holdens but they do not mention the grey but their site has not been updated for a couple of years !tried to phone them but no answer ,must be on xmas break ,anyone fromS.A.know more ?

Sale Victioria
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: