FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 22, 2024, 06:54:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Factory Fitted Sunvisor  (Read 5206 times)
nigelb42

View Profile
« on: October 07, 2004, 03:53:09 AM »

Afternoon all,

After fully realising the enormity of the task ahead of me with restoring the FE Standard (thanks for all of your advice should have listened earlier  Embarrassed), I picked up an FC special in much better condition and stored the FE for the moment.  It has only a small amount of rust in the A pillar near the dash top, some rust in the bottom of the B pillar and a couple of 10 cent piece sized holes in the floor.

I have stripped down the FC and there are three holes in the roof that were bogged up.  All have captive nuts on the underside so I am assuming a sunvisor went there.  My question is were they factory fitted? 'cause the front two holes look pressed rather than drilled.

The front holes are shaped like a rectangle with a circle superimposed in the centre, if that makes sense.

Thanks

Nige
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 08:01:31 AM »

They were factory fitted and dealer fitted.  Either of these would have fitted the holes as you describe as this is the correct way to fit them in the instructions.

Ken
oldgmh

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004, 08:54:15 AM »

You will probably find holes in each of the front pillars as well. They were for the sunvisor side mounting positions - maybe they are bogged over.

As HAD708 says - I stand corrected  .. you won't have these pillar holes as they are in later cars only - FB on.
Well there you go !  
« Last Edit: October 13, 2004, 09:14:00 AM by earlee » Logged
nigelb42

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 04:22:10 AM »

Thanks Ken, Earlee,

The reason I asked was that if it was originally
fitted I will refit, otherwise I was going to fill them in.

Nige
HAD 708

Model: FE

Holdens and the Mighty Woodsmen truly magnificent

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 04:57:16 AM »

You will find that with the FC sunvisor the only body drilled holes will be as you described in the roof not any on the pillars as they used a stainless clip that was fitted over the visor and the rain chanel and was held on by 2 nuts either side the screws were fitted into the visor itself. Good luck.

Brett Gillard
Martin

Model: FC

Jim

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 09:53:01 AM »

Ken,

does all this mean that all FCs have the captive nuts already fitted?  I have the sunvisor to fit after it's been painted, but I'm pretty worried about drilling through the roof and also through my nice unmarked headlining.  If the captive nuts are already there under a bit of filler, it would make me much happier.

Thanks.

Martin

The liver is evil.  It must be PUNISHED

Martin
Marion.  South Aust.

Ebay user id:  lewis1411
HAD 708

Model: FE

Holdens and the Mighty Woodsmen truly magnificent

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2004, 09:33:20 AM »

Martin
The sunvisor holes would be visible and were only fiited with the captive nuts if it was a dealer nasco option. My wagon was not fitted with a visor and i had one fitted to it and i used heavy duty self tappers mounted and drilled the same way as the factory fitted one it is working well and when fitted properly does not cause any grief. Be very careful when drilling as not to puncture the headlining.
Brett
« Last Edit: October 14, 2004, 09:35:10 AM by Brett_Gillard » Logged

Brett Gillard
Martin

Model: FC

Jim

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2004, 12:05:03 PM »

Thanks, Brett.  

Yeah.  It's drilling through the headlining that's got me worried (I'd like to bung the visor and spats on before the Nationals - and that comes before the complete strip-down and repaint)

Martin
« Last Edit: October 14, 2004, 12:07:06 PM by lewis1411 » Logged

The liver is evil.  It must be PUNISHED

Martin
Marion.  South Aust.

Ebay user id:  lewis1411
fe2ek
vic-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2004, 07:16:45 PM »

You can buy a special riveter that fits rivets with a thread inside which would be ideal for what you require.
From memory it is called a speed riveter.Really good tool shops would know about them.They take about 3/16 bolts  approx.
I have a sunvisor also to fit to my ute,but cant come to drilling holes in the roof,and how noisy are they,I know the one on my EK is noisy.
Cheers Geoff
nigelb42

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2004, 04:18:15 AM »

Martin,

The holes in my roof are all stressed and cracked and the captive nuts were rather 'uncaptive' so I reckon the reason mine was removed and filled was because it had been damaged (??) so I guess it would be a big step drilling the roof.

Ken,

was there a special tool that came with the sunvisor kit to punch the funny shaped holes in the sheetmetal?  I'm guessing the windscreen would be removed and some sort of multigrip type punch set up used.

Nige
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2004, 08:11:11 AM »

The captive nuts are not really captive in the full sense of the word.  The hole is drilled first and then filed to shape by hand according to the instructions.  If u r worried about drilling through the roof lining, cut a drill down so that only 5 mm of drill is exposed.  Too easy

The captive nut is inserted and twisted to lock it in place.

Regards   Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: