FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 06, 2024, 04:19:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: THERMO FANS ???  (Read 2640 times)
Blown_FC

FC Holdens & Mini Coopers....Cars of the Century

View Profile
« on: September 22, 2004, 06:22:46 AM »

I want to fit a 16" Thermo behind the Grille, but in front of the Radiator, and am hoping someone can give me their opinion on what brand and type to go for.

I've seen 6 blade fans, through to about 10 blades.....is Davies Craig the best or just the most expensive....do i go for straight blades or curved blades ect ect

I'm running a Aussie Desert Cooler Radiator, but to original FC dimensions...in other words, no room to run twin thermos, hence why I just want 1 big bugger !

Cheers

Mark
Geoff_K
nsw-club

The 2 BAY s

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2004, 06:36:05 AM »

Mark,

If you are using a high performance radiator, I don't think it is necessary to fit the biggest electric fan.  The electric fan does its work when you are stationery, and when the engine is not under much load.
In the 1950's my FE had an after market high performance radiator fitted (generally the same size, with horizontal fins and straight vertical core) with the grey motor.
In the 1970's I fittted a 202 red motor and put a Craig Davis fan in front of the radiator.  It never overheated.
For 2006, I plan to get her out of the shed, have the core tested, and keep on using it.  Sure if you are turbo'd or running really high performance (for burnouts in Broome etc) you may need more cooling, but generally for highway and cruising it should be ok.

Geoff_K
Blown_FC

FC Holdens & Mini Coopers....Cars of the Century

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2004, 06:39:22 AM »

Thanks Geoff.....sounds like you've had your FE for a long time....what size Davies Craig fan did you fit ?

Thaks for your thoughts.....makes sense !

Cheers

Mark
Geoff_K
nsw-club

The 2 BAY s

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2004, 07:18:02 AM »

Mark,
The only size available at the time!
I think it was about the same width as the radiator.
(will lift the car cover and have a look this weekend)
Geoff_K
Jockster

Old Holdens never die they just go faster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2004, 11:58:36 AM »

G'day Mark
I run a 16 inch 10 blade Davies Craig Fan on my 186 powered FC which only has a slightly larger core in the radiator, even on a hot day cruising in slow traffic it never goes over 190 degrees. A 17 inch would probably be a little better.
Cheers
Jock

Cars are my life not just my work
HYSTERIA

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2004, 09:38:35 PM »

When fitting a thermo fan, make sure you put it on a switch so you can turn it off when the car is moving. A lot of guys leave the fan running while at cruising speed which will actually decrease the air flow through the core and cause the coolant temp to rise.

J

EK 215 - Who needs all that chrome
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: