FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 10:00:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FE-EK Holden ute hard torneau cover  (Read 20962 times)
Fast_Eddie

Body by Holden. Soul by Fast Eddie.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2004, 05:40:00 AM »

Why don't you tell us what you really think?
HARKO
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2004, 01:04:08 PM »

Wow mate that is such a dissapointing story ....
We learn lessons from such torment ,Id say yours would be that you will never ever get the same job that you could have done ,done better by someone else..
As I say mate I knocked mine up with 20 by 20 gal 1.6mm in a day ,Its strong enough once welded to support a bloody heavy load like right now mine is supporting 2 FC grilles about 6 bumpers ,2 elephants and a giant panda.
The gal is fairly easily fomed with your foot and a vice and also some larger diametre pipe to get the curve diametre your after.
One tip is to make sure you have the curve across the rear window right before bending your edge curves if that makes sense, It will once you get going.
Once youve got your overall shape you could cover it with plastic ,stainless ,alluminium or other car parts as in my case.
Although I made mine to sit on top of the tray edge it wont be hard to sink it in to the inside - my figuring was that the extra height would make the chopped roof look lower  Grin
Mine is covered with MDF and I used the reco'd tarp that came with the ute.

As I say mate - very dissapointing story  and please please dont take it out on your wife again hehe
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2004, 10:15:29 PM »

Sounds nightmarish Chuck!!

why dont u and Harko team up and mould up Harko's cover in glass?

surely there's a niche in the market.

sorry mixing business with pleasure...

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
old-blu
nsw-club

Model: FE and FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2004, 08:59:59 AM »

Hi Guys;  We built our own f/glass canopy for the FC Ute
you refer to @ the last Nationals.
If you really want to make one yourselves I have a series of photos showing the process! If you cure the sides to fit over the edge of the tray[to help in waterproofing],then you create a problem with hinging it as the leading edge wants to "dig in" with the initial lift. After a great deal of effort we designed hinges that contained compression springs. this ment the 1st. move was UP then after that the gas struts took over .
Good luck!!  But it's a bit of a "brainbuster"
CHEERS  OLD-BLU.

6th, may 1958 "I was there".
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: