FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 10, 2024, 07:30:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Repro lap belts  (Read 15797 times)
nigelb42

View Profile
« on: August 09, 2004, 01:41:39 AM »

G'day all,

Has anybody purchased any repro lap belts lately?  What is the best type to fit that sort of look the part?  I am only going to fit lap belts as the hole in the B pillar doesn't appeal to me but I still want the relative safety of belts for the rear seats (kids) and something to stop my fat ass from sliding all over the front seat (which I can imagine the kids will armour-all for a laugh).

I have read the post about AS standards, but was after something a little more recent.

Thanks

Nige
robbzfc58
Guru

Gone but not forgotten.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2004, 01:56:13 AM »

nige   does your fat ass weigh more than a vauxhall viva

robbzfc58
RIP Trevor Robb: a good mate to all on the FE-FC Forum
robbzfc58
Guru

Gone but not forgotten.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2004, 01:59:01 AM »

this demo was to show the strength of hr seat belts
the crane driver got the blame but i reckon it improved the look of the viva Grin
 sorry    it doesnt answer your question
your kids sound like fun Grin
   cheers  trev
« Last Edit: August 09, 2004, 01:59:32 AM by robbzfc58 » Logged

robbzfc58
RIP Trevor Robb: a good mate to all on the FE-FC Forum
Fast_Eddie

Body by Holden. Soul by Fast Eddie.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2004, 04:38:00 AM »

Nigel,

Go the lap sash option. A hole in the B pillar looks a lot better than a hole in your chest from the steering column.

Seeing you are going to so much trouble with the welder on your car, you should be able to fabricate and install a suitable concealed mounting point in the B pillar anyway.

Captive nut on 6mm plate inserted through slot cut in B pillar, secured to face of pillar with puddle welds, lots of swearing etc trying to hold it in place..... but worth it.

Regards

Edward
nigelb42

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2004, 09:46:41 AM »

To quote Homer Simpson ' hhmmmm.....Solid Steering Column heeey'.  I wonder if I could make an SRS from a shopping bag and a can of finelek  Huh Grin

So if I was to go lap sash, is there a decent retro looking one around?

I tell you Trev, the little Bastardos are getting too hard to catch now.....I'm sure they think my heart needs a good seizure every now and again.

Nige
Blown_FC

FC Holdens & Mini Coopers....Cars of the Century

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2004, 05:24:00 AM »

Nige....there are a mob here in Perth who make seatbelts to suit your needs...and yes that means the RETRO look.

Basically, what you need to do, is source the wreckers yards around, and look for a good set of old Metal buckle type seat belts....this is your retro look.  Don;t worry about what they look like at this stage, just as long as the buckles work.

Then he sends the buckles off the be re-chromed or polished depending on whether they can be chromed or not, and they pretty much come back looking brand new again.

They then fit them up with your choice of webbing (ie) brown or burgundy depending on the retro colour your'e looking for, and hey presto....RETRO looking belts, buckles and all.

He even supplies the nut and backing plates already welded together, so all you have to do is weld them in your car.

The backing plates with nuts attached sell for around $5 each....the seat belts start from around $145 each, and if you need the buckles re-chromed then add a further $50 each ( ish ).

-  4 Belts ( $145 each ) $580
-  12 Plates ( $5 each ) $60

Total of $640 ( $840 if you need rechroming )  is a pretty cheap way to have brand new RETRO belts that will protect you properly !

Yes they are standards approved, and will fit if you live in Perth, otherwise they just phone order the parts to you.

The go by the name SEATBELT SOLUTIONS (08) 9353 3522

They are also an upholsters, so that gives you the tip right there...just look for a reputable upholsterer in your area that is authorised to do seatbelts, fidn a good set of old metal buckles, and your'e pretty much done.

Good luck !

Cheers

Mark
nigelb42

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2004, 08:23:56 AM »

Thanks heaps Mark

Nige
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 06:18:01 AM »

Just an update for anyone interested, the new number is 08 9258 3666.

Prices are more competitive than previously stated, too.

Belt re-web:      $98
Adjuster:          $15 (as req'd)
Backing plates:   $5.50 ea (as req'd)
Rechrome:       $65
Not being a steering column shish-kebab: priceless Grin

That makes the cost per belt (exc rechroming) between $100 and $130.  They also have vinyl decals for the buttons (the original aluminium ones cannot be obtained any more).

Turn-around time (without rechroming) is about a week.

Hope that helps.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
greyone

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 09:12:25 AM »

If you use lock nuts or half nuts depending on your age,weld  these to 2.5mm sq plate then tack a piece of welding wire to hold them through the a slot cut behind your door rubber .the wire is solid enough to hold in place while tightening and is relectivly easy to break when finished hope this helps regards mal
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2006, 11:38:53 AM »

Mal, you are a legend! I was wondering how I was going to install my front seat belts, problem solved.

spanner

Mackay QLD

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2006, 04:08:59 AM »

Here's how I put the seatbelt mount in the B pillar of my van.
Drilled a hole on the inside of the B pillar at the required height, big enough for the seat belt mounting bolt to pass through. Drilled two more holes, one a bit above the first hole and one a bit below.
Cut a 3mm plate and pressed it to the shape of the pillar. I drilled a hole in the centre of the plate the same size as in the one drilled in the B pillar. Lightly tack welded a H/T nut over the hole on the side to face out and made sure the seatbelt bolt screws freely into the nut from the plate side when finished (Important use antiseize). I then drilled a small hole to the top of plate in the centre and tied my string line to it.
Now the trinky bit.
There is a slot in the top of the B pillar near the roof.
Lower the plate through the slot with the nut facing to the outside of the car. Lower the plate down till it can be seen through the hole in the pillar. Screw in the seatbelt bolt to hold the plate in position against the pillar. Plug weld the plate into position using the two holes drilled earlier. Remove bolt and dress plug welds
Ezy really. Hope it makes sense. I have a few pics if any one wants a copy.
Graham
fccool59

rain sucks     http://www.yout ube.com/watch?v =N1Uj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2006, 05:41:41 AM »

it would be good to see  some pics, I am also about to do this.

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
spanner

Mackay QLD

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2006, 11:07:11 AM »

See if this works

I also put some extra spot welds between the inner and outer plates of the pillar in the area of the plate (Not shown in photos).
Graham
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2006, 01:38:21 PM »

Wow Graham.
That is an awesome way of fitting plates.
How did you find that hole in the top of the pillar?.....I never knew it was there. Shame I have drilled holes and painted, or I would have done this conversion.
Thanks for sharing it, 1 for the memory bank.
Regards
Alex

Burnsy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2006, 02:06:31 PM »

Wow Graham.
That is an awesome way of fitting plates.
How did you find that hole in the top of the pillar?.....I never knew it was there. Shame I have drilled holes and painted, or I would have done this conversion.
Thanks for sharing it, 1 for the memory bank.
Regards
Alex

Isn't it amazing that people have been fitting seatbelts to old holdens for over 40 years yet we still learn new and better ways of doing it.  I have lost count of the number of articles and posts on different forums that I have read on how to best fit belts without external holes and all were far more complicated and involved that this.

If you came up with this yourself Graham you should receive some kind of annual award for the most useful new modification Smiley

Mike
fccool59

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2006, 08:48:13 PM »

thanks graham, ill try it out.

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2006, 09:28:46 PM »

Dammit! I've got the  hole in the pillar but my roof lining has been fitted  Angry

fccool59

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2006, 09:34:35 PM »

dam, seems that hole is unique to vans, I cant find any hole in the wagon.

customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2006, 03:17:26 PM »

Hmmm. Only hole in the top of the FC sedan is about the size of a 1c piece.....and that plate ain't fitting through that. Did you cut the hole yourself or is it factory?
It may be that the vans are indeed the only model with the hole.
Is this a FE v's FC thing?
Regards
Alex

RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2006, 12:09:35 AM »

dam, seems that hole is unique to vans, I cant find any hole in the wagon.

Isn't that ironic, considering how many other holes in the thing you've filled over the last year or so? :-/

For what it's worth there's definitely a different part number for the panel van "B" pillar, as you'd expect, given the difference in the way the outer area is skinned and so on.  It's the same component for both FE and FC vans.  The "B" pillar for sedans (except 217) and wagons are have the same number, and are interchangeable.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: