FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 30, 2024, 08:32:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Surprised  (Read 6895 times)
leon

Model: FE

My FC Business Sedan

View Profile
« on: June 29, 2004, 08:20:17 PM »

;)G Day Fellows.
Can anyone tell me on the FE special sedan are there any other numbers stamped on the body not including  the inside of the engine bay.
Regards. Leon Wink
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 09:49:03 PM »

Leon, There were earlier posts somewhere about characters stamped in the area where the lower or upper front door hinge bolts to the body, possibly as a security measure in the event of theft.
Apart from body stamping the wheels are usually date stamped inside the rim, this is a good way to date your car providing it still wears it's original wheels.
Also the back of the speedo sometimes bears a visible ink stamp.
Gary
P.S. how is the project going.
leon

My FC Business Sedan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2004, 06:08:29 AM »

:)G Day Garry.
Thank you for your reply. As you mentioned RE the characters' I have discovered on the front passenger side lower door hinge the body Id numbers same as on the Id plate.
I didn't know about the numbers until now.
As for FEE2 its coming along very well I will be posting a photo soon.
I have undercoated the roof,fire wall,and under to the first cross member where the front end bolts on to.
The colour will follow on those areas soon.
Regards Leon. Wink
Sarge
Guru

My 57 & Old No 7 all a Man Need's

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2004, 07:54:39 AM »

Leon
      On your windows you will not the word ARMOURPLATE in a circle, count from the A (being 1) to you find a dot above a letter and this will tell you what year your car was made. IE:- a dot above P indicates 1957.

Regards
Sarge

Mark Lees Tallerbudgera Queensland
        0421 165 351
Holden Classics; a BREED above the rest
FE_225

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2004, 12:11:48 PM »

Hi Leon
I have the extra body numbers you described on my FE 225 as well. Never seen it on any other car.  I've wondered if it was done in the factory for some reason? It doesn't look like a home done job as the numbers are too perfectly aligned and stamped. Plus who'd go to the trouble of pulling off the guard just to stamp in the numbers?
Also, on the lower panel assy adjacent to the stampings, mine had "02" written in crayon or wax prior to the black tar being applied. The "02" then showed up in body colour cos the tar couldn't stick to the wax writting. Have you noticed anything like that on yours?
Any chance of getting the body, chassis and engine numbers off your car, I'm curious to see if there is any connection between the two.
Cheers
Tony
« Last Edit: June 30, 2004, 12:14:48 PM by IhadaV8 » Logged

Worried about fuel economy?....Then buy a push bike!
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2004, 11:10:18 PM »

Sarge,

The other dot tells you the quarter in which the glass was made, so it can be narrowed down even further.  My FE has all original glass all the way around: every single piece has 3rd quarter 56 dot-marks.

Leon/Tony,

The passenger's side door-frame numbers are interesting, and this sounds like a throw-back to 48 and FJ number stamping, which had a plate on the door-frame that listed the body and engine numbers (IIRC), which provided an absolute certainty that the motor and body were original.  This was done away with (I'm sure it must have been a PITA to manage on the assembly line), but it's possible something like it continued to occur perhaps at Pagewood?  The Sydney factory was apparently legendary for doing its own thing with ID plates, different to everywhere else.  The "AO/AP/AR" code on the FE ID plate being a good example, as well as plates with the "S" for Sydney before the body number, eg Rusty's sedan: FE-217-S-4, instead of FE-217-4-S as you'd expect.

Very interesting.  Leon and Tony, any chance of a photo of these numbers?

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Spinner
nsw-club

Whitewalls - more than 'just' a way of life.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2004, 06:11:23 AM »

I thought that the S-4 model was an early EH option only. Wink Wink

Rusty must have the only FC S-4 in existence.  Better tell AMC so that they can feature it!! Grin Grin

Spinner

(0414) 49-6706.  d5461 on Ebay.
Phantom

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2004, 07:14:59 AM »

Are you talking about me? Spinner
                                      Cheers Rusty

Bogans rule
leon

My FC Business Sedan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2004, 07:20:17 AM »

:)G Day Tony & Ret.
I will take a photo of the numbers tomorow and post them.
On the photo here, is a 48 marked on with a crayon or something like that used on the assembly line and just to the right of the 8 you may be able to make out the numbers stamped on the metal near the bottom hinge where the surface rust starts.
leon

My FC Business Sedan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2004, 07:24:26 AM »

:)Here is a photo of the so far.
On my windows, I have the dot  over the A on one window and the E on the other.
Regards.  Leon  Wink
« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 07:38:02 AM by leon » Logged
leon

My FC Business Sedan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2004, 07:29:42 AM »

Here is a before.
Regards. Leon Wink
FE_225

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2004, 07:39:35 AM »

Hi Guys
Here's a pic of mine.
The big nut seen is the bottom door hinge mount. The 02 on mine is also in the same spot as Leons.

Maybe Ken can shed some light on this???
Cheers
Tony

customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2004, 10:10:13 AM »

Leon.
Car is looking a treat.
The numbers under the guard is a fascinating story. I noticed a crayon number under my guard when I resprayed my car years ago, but did not notice anything stamped into the body. Might have to grab a torch some day and take a closer look.
Here's a pic of what was under my guard. Along with the number, there was something else written that I could not make out. Guess I will be able to read it again in a few years when it shines back through the new paint.
Regards
Alex
« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 10:13:39 AM by custom_fc » Logged

4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2004, 11:42:54 PM »

Hi.
I know I have mentioned this on this forum before, but a mate of mine has a very rare FX. This is a genuine 48 model (With the rear door locks at the back of the door) & it is painted in the only metallic offered in that year. It is "Georgia" or "Georgina" green metallic (I cannot rmember which. The car is 100% original, with this written in crayon on the firewall, that has come through the paint. My guess, is it was written there as it rolled down the production line & when sprayed, the paint didn't adhere. Same as what you guys have encountered. It was a mystery for the original owner for years, as he didn't actually know that is what the colour was called.
Rob J

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2004, 02:05:22 AM »

Rob,

That's very interesting.  I know that paint colours were written with crayon/chalk on the firewall of 48s and FJs for various reasons, not least of all to make it easy on the assembly line.  Don Loffler's books show a few variations of this.

It was used specifically to record the interior colour on "Duo-tone" cars when that scheme was first released with the FJ.  A Duo-tone car is a single-tone special, with a contrasting interior colour.  This style continued into the FE - mine is one such car - and was presumably dropped when the gun-metal dash-top was introduced, although I'm not certain of that.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Dr_Terry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2004, 07:48:57 AM »

Hi Guys.

I have just caught up with your discussion on the crayon writing on 48 & FJ firewalls.

This also occurs on EJ & EH series cars, on the LH radiator support panel & can be seen thru the grille on many cars in our club.

I have often wondered about the same on FE-EK series.

Any comments ??

Regards.

Dr Terry.
FE_225

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2004, 08:26:34 AM »

Hi
Years ago I had a Holden built '37 Bedford coupe pickup. It also had the crayon writing scrawled across the firewall which looked pretty crappy. I wonder if they put the writing in inconspicuous places after the FJ's to tidy up the finish on the firewall? Just a thought....
Cheers
Tony
PS, Dr Terry , any ideas on the extra body number being stamped into the base of the A pillar?

leon

My FC Business Sedan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2004, 08:37:16 AM »

:)G Day Fellows.
Here is the latest photo of FEE NO.2 so far it has the colour coat from the window down to the first cross member. I'm about to tip the old girl on her side for some under body cleaning and its  going to take some cleaning befor I coat the rest of the under carriage in black as the original colour.
I'll keep you all posted. Wink
Regards. Leon
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2004, 10:45:46 AM »

Hey Leon.
Looking good.
You must be loving this unusually warm weather.
Regards
Alex

leon

My FC Business Sedan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2004, 06:59:09 AM »

:)THanks Alex for your intrest.
Its good all this mild weather and no wind to worry about and the humidity being low.
I understand that the pannels has to be warm about 25deg and humidity not more than 80% if you are using acriylic paints.
In addition taking advantage of work being a little slow this time of the year.  
Yes the weathers been great Grin
Regards. Leon
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: