FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 09, 2024, 12:33:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Fast Eddie's & Chuck's Excellent Adventure  (Read 26415 times)
ChrisB

"Shiny Bits"

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2005, 08:52:01 AM »

Looks real shiny,

All this for a timing gear  Grin

ChrisB  Cool
NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2005, 10:22:29 AM »

This is how my car was first rebuilt. When I got it, it was finnished in green house paint with at least 1 dent in every panel.
It was good transport for $900 with 9 months rego and used the same amount of fuel as the corolla it replaced with its grey motor.
Then one day on the freeway the timing gear went, I had never had this problem before but knew exactly what had happened before I even got to merge left halfway through passing a truck when it happened.
fortunately a mate was passing with a truck and he took my car home.
I got a second hand fibre gear from the wreckers and ended up reseating the valves and shiming them up with washers, after going this far I decided I should tidy up the front guard were the damage was pretty bad, while doing some body work I thouhgt the rear quarter might be worthwhile doing too, and then the passenger front door.
A couple of days later I had every panel of the car.
a week and a half later it was all in primer and reassembled. I drove it a couple of times kind of in complete and decided to swap over to a 202, out with the front end and in with the hr one, new and in with the 202, sprayed on some white paint, buffed it up, went to drive it to work and the crash box went bang after dumping the clutch.
took it home behind a Austin 1800 and ripped the box out. A guy at work said he had a box that would go straight in, a 3 speed all synchro, but it didnt
A few nights under the car with they box in and out a hundred times and it finally fitted.
went to drive it to sydney a few weeks later and the 202 timing gear striped.
freaky thing was that in the 1.5 hour trip it stripped across the road from were the last one went.
now I was really pissed of with fibre timing gears, greys and 202's and Mt White.
I took it back home after sleeping in it for the night with a expensive tow.
when I got it home I decided to put my hp motor in with a alloy gear, next thing I decided to rebuild the motor, The new paint on the motor looked to good for the crappy engine bay so I sand blasted the engine bay and painted it.
now it was looking cool so I went to the rta and booked the FCCOOL plates.

Fast_Eddie

Body by Holden. Soul by Fast Eddie.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2005, 10:57:02 AM »

The manifold is polished alloy, and the cast iron headers have the ceramic type hot coating.

If I had my time again, I would have linished the headers and removed all the casting imperfections prior to coating - they would have come up even better.

The polished alloy components shall be coated with a POR15 product prior to fitting up. I think it is called "Glisten". The master cylinders have been polished as well, and I may do the steering box if I can be bothered. (Silver paint is looking good at this point)

« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 11:07:39 AM by Fast_Eddie » Logged
Fast_Eddie

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2005, 09:29:16 PM »

A slight set back

-KIWI-

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2005, 11:42:42 PM »

this can be summed up in one word

BUGGER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2005, 11:56:14 PM »

Head?
Fast_Eddie

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2005, 07:32:58 AM »

Head is similar - very tight valves.

This is actually not the motor that stripped the timing gear whilst in the ute - it has been reconditioned and is waiting to go into my wagon.

This is the motor that was destined for the ute, that came fitted in the wagon, if that makes sense...

When I purchased the wagon, the receipts that came with the car indicated the motor was reconditioned about 18 months before it came off the road. Unfortunately, it then sat for twenty years...

I get the impression that the previous owner had changed the plugs and oil, as well as tipping copious amounts of oil into each cylinder to try and get it to turn over, but to no avail.  

Not that it is the end of the world, just a weekend lost from cleaning up and painting it.

Fortunately, I have another grey motor that I spent this weekend cleaning up ready for paint (after checking that the crank turns!) that came out of my original car, so at least I know it is a runner. Have replaced the rear main seal and welch plugs, and shall put new gaskets right through it.

If anyone wants a L prefix grey long motor (late '59) that is 40thou over already, but looks like it would come up with a hone - there are no ridges in the bore, I've got one for the right price... FREE!

Has to be gone by mid June - located Chatswood NSW.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2005, 07:35:57 AM by Fast_Eddie » Logged
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2005, 08:23:40 AM »

I'll bite Edward, if no one else wants I'll give it a home.
Gary
snoopy

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2005, 08:26:42 AM »

yeah it would make a good boat anker......lol

Peter
Fast_Eddie

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2005, 07:42:10 PM »

It's your's Gary.
Fast_Eddie

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2005, 05:15:41 AM »

The motor has gone!
Fast_Eddie

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2005, 10:25:58 AM »

Second attempt...

The ancillaries are being reconditioned - thanks mostly to Craig A. (I'm allowed to sweep the floors and use the sandblast cabinet)

A fine looking dizzy

Fast_Eddie

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2005, 10:28:38 AM »

so a couple of weekends work should see it all sorted.

How time flies...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2005, 10:30:38 AM by Fast_Eddie » Logged
Shayne
qld-club

Just Cruisin'

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2005, 08:36:20 PM »

2nd Attempt at the engine looks much better, Eddie.

None of us are laughing about the 'couple of weekends'.  We all have been or are in the same boat.  If it wasn't for work, family, house maintenance etc etc, it probably would have only taken a weekend or two.

Not long to go now, anyway.

Old Holdens Never Die Because Fools Like Me Keep Them Going
Fast_Eddie

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2005, 06:58:48 AM »

Five months later and a little closer...

Engine now key starts and is running sweetly through Jack Meyers headers and a dual exhaust.

Hopefully shall be finished over Christmas...

nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2005, 01:27:08 PM »

mate thats looking real sweet.

craiga
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2005, 09:57:42 PM »

Edward,

Did you get your engine from Darcy? It looks a lot like the one he has for his forum picture?

Nice job though, what colour(s) blue is that?

Cheers,

Craig

Tongue
Fast_Eddie

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2005, 10:32:33 PM »

Craig,

Well spotted regarding the motor - amazing how similar they are isn't it?

I call the paint colour, "Shades of Blue". It is an interpretation of the pearlescent effect often seen at Auto Salon shows, however presented in such away that every panel appears to be a slightly different colour. The advantage is that with my method, it makes no difference whether it is light or dark - the difference in colour is always discernable.  Grin
craiga
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2005, 10:48:21 PM »

Thanks for responding Edward.

Will this ute be used as a racecar? I ask because I've noticed the many extra holes drill in the inner guards - is intended to lighten the shell for better handling?

And who does your battery detailing? I'd like to get his contact details so I can have him consult on my next project.

Did he also advise on the guard bolts, because they look to be metric, not imperial as per original.

Nice job though, well done Edward.

Cheers,

Craig.

Fast_Eddie

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2005, 05:43:13 AM »

Craig,

The detailing is generally done by a little fellow I found from Mt Druit. He is very particular, but obviously hasn't got to the battery yet. I'll make sure I task him with it next time he comes over.

Regards

Ed
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: