FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 28, 2024, 11:28:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: POR 15 Painting procedure.  (Read 3055 times)
Damon

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« on: June 12, 2004, 02:46:42 AM »

Hi guys,
            I am about to start using 'POR 15' rust inhibiting paint, filler and tie coat primer on my sill panels but was hoping that I could get some more info from members that have used it. (My paint supplier doesn't fill me with much confidence when I ask him any techo questions).

Craig A and Ed have commented on how great the stuff is (thanks guys), but I was hoping that you might be able to clarify a few details...

The instructions that came with the POR15 paint says that you can use P38 and P40 fillers (bog) over the top of POR15, however when I read the instructions for P38 and P40 it says that it should be applied to clean bare metal.

I understand that diferent situations may call for different methods,  but was hoping that you guys may be able to describe the methods that you have used?

POR15, bog, POR15, then tiecoat... or, Bog , POR15, then tiecoat...?  :-/

I am trying to do everything correctly and am not relying on bog alone for rust repairs. I have replaced the larger rust holes with fresh metal and used 70/30 lead for small rust holes, then body filed to ensure that it is all nice and straight, but will need to use a little bog to fill a few small dents and ripples.

I would appreciate any suggestions or help that anybody has to offer as I want to do it once (the correct way).  

Cheers, Damon.  
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2004, 11:57:20 PM »

Damon,

Sorry I missed this, as I normally just hit 10 most recent posts.

I generally put filler on over the tie coat.  the POR is so shiny I dont trust it to hold the filler.

big word of warning here.. let ur tie coat dry thoroughly.

I let it cure for 24 hours, but the ambient temp dropped.  I put on rpimer over and it wrinkled badly.

Only cure is to take the tie coat off again which is alot of extra/un needed work.

HTH  Ed

in the shed
Damon

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004, 12:45:29 AM »

Thanks for the response Ed, for a while there I didn't think anybody was listening!

I think I will use the P40 filler over the top of the POR15 as the instructions state. If I believe the attached info that comes with the product, it states that the chemists have formulated the two products to bond together chemically rather than mechanically.  Another thing to think about is that there will be more chance of trapping moisture underneath the filler if it goes on after the tie coat, (moisture is our enemy).

I have found a good article on fillers, primers etc' if any body wants to read it. It is written by a pretty cluey guy, definatley worth a read for anybody considering their own bodywork.   http://www.roadsters.com/filler/

Wish me luck!!
Damon.
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004, 05:46:48 AM »

thanks bud that has helped me work out where ive gone wrong on a few jobs ive done,,very interesting reading,also had a look at land speed record on home page stories,it was  good reading.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: